+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coventry

Coventry

Well, here's an opponent who has scored fewer goals than us and were really jammy when beating us in the last game. So..what will happen this time?
    I'm going for...0-2. Sorry - ever the pessimist!

Cannot see us winning this game, but I hope that the new found confidence from our first unbeaten run in ages of more than one game will earn a draw,. A win would be great, but I see a 1-1 draw as our best shot.

4 points from the next 2 matches would be an acceptable return.

I see that Coventry have the best defensive record in League 2 so this is going to be a tough one. However, Crewe being quite often so inconsistent are nonetheless capable of springing a surprise against a team in the top tier of the league. With things coming together better recently which is creating a lot more confidence I would go with a 1-1 scoreline at the very least.

January 2016 was not a good meeting between these two clubs (0-5) at Gresty Road. I remember this game particularly well, because someone famously quoted that "if you took away their five goals, then there was nothing between the teams". Hopefully, we will be better equiped tomorrow and come away with a creditable result. Three points would be just the tonic. Up the Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    4 points from the next 2 matches would be an acceptable return.
    That would be a brilliant return, Tim. They have a very good defence, so we will have to produce some of that fast attacking football that has been in evidence for the past few matches. I think that things have improved recently (even the football we played against Exeter and Colchester was enjoyable), so perhaps we have finally turned the corner. I sincerely hope so.

Don’t ask me why, but I fancy us to beat Coventry tomorrow, and I’ll plump for 2-1 (because I like a good plump). Strangely I think Forest Green will be trickier. Coventry have a great defensive record but they don’t score many, whilst the reverse is true of FGR recently and I don’t rate our chances of a clean sheet against them so highly.

C’mon the Alex ��

Crewe 2 Coventry 0

Very unimpressed with the second half. I don’t normally comment on substitutions, but those two late on seemed odd, and didn’t do us any favours.
    The ref was what I would now class as the usual standard for Div 4. I thought Coventry were auditioning for Strictly Come Dancing the way they found a ‘partner’ and hung on for dear life.
    Less said about the weather the better. I was hoping for something to distract me from the icy blizzards: it never happened. Their second goal was an absolute peach in the circumstances.

Have to admit I was surprised at Kirk being preferred to Ainley. In the first 15 minutes it was obvious that we lacked numbers in our midfield and Coventry were just outsmarting us in the centre of the park.

When Zooms got injured it was right to move Pickering to LB, but the choice of substitute was completely amazing. Bringing on Ainley meant we now had two wingers who are not known for their defensive qualities. This left the midfield even weaker. Should have been Jones or Walker as sub.

I know that Coventry have one of the best defences, but in the game they were shaky and hesitant. We did not take our chances .

All in all this loss was completely down to Dave Artell. Bad team selection. Dire substitution, and poor tactics. May be a nice man and may be passionate, but for me he is not the right man for the job.

Our next game against Forest Green for me is a must win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast