+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rafa in a nutshell

Rafa in a nutshell

Picked this off True Faith (facebook)
    Think it is a spot on assessment
    Was having a discussion about Rafa with a member of the older generation and I'm no spring chicken. So we were discussing a few points about tactics and his tinkering and this was the old boys summing up of the season so far... I tend to agree with him.

As a manager Rafa knows when to let them go... he keeps the harder games tight and that has allowed us to stay above relegation with a good goal difference for our position.

We do well to pick up points with the worst strike force in the division.

He holds himself well and stears clear of conflict with the owner but still gets a dig in.

He has given confidence to players like Dummett Lejuene Diame who's names you can now accept on a team sheet and in Dummets case made him a premier league player.

Lascelles is knocking on an England call up and Shelvey looks like he may eventually calm down.

He's moulded them into a team that fight for each other and there's no more silly antics coming out in the press with players.

But most of all he makes the fans talk about football again... tactics, player choice and the likes instead of Ashley and the state of the club.

I'm not trying to make this into a Rafa is God piece but I must admit that although I've questioned his transfers (Not all his fault but not blameless) I do tend to agree with the above.

Thoughts?

Quite a good, balanced summing up.

I quite agree here.

Rafa is not blameless for better or worse. I still think his lack of trust in Mitrovic has served us not so well. Sometimes I've been nothing short of baffled over his substitutions, and I do think we have been lost games where we could have snatched a point if we had been more daring going forward (earlier in the season, this doesn't seem to be a problem anymore). However, at the moment I do think it's happy days for our club even though we're still not safe from relegation. And Rafa is one of the major reasons behind that.

Regarding incoming transfers, I still don't see what he could have done more. Here, the blame is clearly with Ashley.

I do still think we're talking about Ashley and the state of the club, perhaps even more so due the takeover rumours. But we're also talking the football on the pitch and there is a sense that we as fans believe in the players, more than in recent years at least.

The most interesting about the OP for me is the conflict issue - remember Bowyer/Dyer, or perhaps big name players saying they want out as they couldn't handle it up here? Not giving a flying **** about the shirt? That seems to have completely disappeared. The ability of the players may not be the greatest, but they are playing like a team and it's the unity of the team that seems better than it has in many years IMO.

When Lascelles and Diamé had a fight in training, and Shelvey got between them, I loved how everyone - including Rafa - handled it. Everyone seemed honest about it and said that it happens a lot in training and only shows that the players actually care. Since then, both Diamé and Lascelles have gotten on with it and have both been playing regularly and both well. No whining or not showing up for training. That's the spirit.

As good a team spirit I've seen in ages
    I honestly believe given the funds and time he could get this club back on track
    It won't happen though as Ashley and his cronies still not willing to speculate
    Look at the Keegan video about Hypia and Modric

Wether you like Rafa or not, trust or mistrust him
    A blind man can see he has this club running more smoothly than it has in years

The man carries himself with an air of dignity (remember Pardew nutting meyler)
    He sees things beyond the everyday running of the club.
    Giving to the food bank etc
    He has linked the club and the city and made us one again.
    The press were banned under previous managers.
    The work he does behind the scenes is phenomenal.

Ok so he maybe is a bit defensive minded and yep maybe if he’d attacked teams we may have picked up more points but

Who expected us at the start of the season to be where we are???

I for one will be happy staying up
    (Even with **** football)
    Because next year we can grow
    Hopefully with Rafa at the helm

And with an hopefully with a new owner who cares more about the club than making money off the back of sweatshops

rafa keeping nufc up with this chimpionship side is the equivalent of frankie dettori winning the derby on a f'ucking shetland pony!

lets hope fat f'uck sells up,and we get an owner who's priority is nufc and not selling socks to c0ckney's!

the bubbly's still on ice,the party poppers are ready..........all thats left is fat c'unt to sell.

All of you lads are absolutely bang on with every word. Rafa brings an air of class not seen since Sir Bob which rubs off on eveyone connectecd with the club - despite the fkn fat Snollygoster who owns it and his Lickspittles. I can forgive the quality on the pitch because I can see Rafa has been forced to poiish turds at an industrial rate. He has upped the performance of the squad as a collective, I have no doubt about that. I remember being at a game in 2006 when Rafa brought Liverpool to SJP. You could see the quality in the movement of their players as one - it was machine like and a reflection of Rafa's ability as a manager. Think we lost 2 or 3-1 that day.

Even a plastic like me can see Rafa is doing a good job.Just a shame those that have support for the fat one or Ash as those who know him well (after 1 or 2 meetings that never happened)cant see it(or refuse to see it).

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    Even a plastic like me can see Rafa is doing a good job.Just a shame those that have support for the fat one or Ash as those who know him well (after 1 or 2 meetings that never happened)cant see it(or refuse to see it).
    Subtle

- - - - - -

Aye, a fair piece. Can't disagree with most of sentiment on here.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)