+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dissertation Survey - The attitudes and effects of unethical sponsorship.

Thanks for the replies and results I have got so far, some interesting replies also in this thread. Apologies if anyone had problems with the Q5-6 I have now changed this

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I was a bit dubious about taking part in this survey because it wasn't clear to me by what definition of the word was shirt sponsorship by betting companies being called 'unethical'. Despite the difficulty of not being able to entirely agree about the basic premise of the survey I did start it, then came to a question about whether gambling firms wanted to make money from their sponsorship deals, well of course they do, there's only one answer to that question, but so does every other company that pays money to a football club for shirt sponsorship, but there was no facility to point this out. I recognise questions like that from surveys I've taken part in before, so not being happy with where these questions were leading me, I went no further.

Thanks for your comment. Indeed it is the only answer that they want to make money but the scale of the answers were to determine if anyone is aware of any community investment/ involvement also that some companies from sponsorship deals also participate in
    Last edited by JTBCU; 19-03-2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by JTBCU View Post
    Thanks for your comment. Indeed it is the only answer that they want to make money but the scale of the answers were to determine if anyone is aware of any community investment/ involvement also that some companies from sponsorship deals also participate in
    JTBCU, I had no intention of questioning your integrity in setting the questions for your survey, apologies if it seemed like I was. I have been obliged, in my line of work, to take part in surveys where the questions were quite blatantly framed to lead to the desired end result and conclusion, which has led me to become hyper-sensitive to questions which appear to be leading me to say something I don't necessarily agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    May I respectfully suggest you all read Naomi Klein's book, "No Logos"?

It sort of asks and answers all of the questions being discussed on this thread.

I still can't get my head round Barton being effectively thrown out of his profession for embracing the very product he was advertising on his shirt.
    Barton was banned for breaking the rules on players betting on football matches. Participants not being allowed to bet or speculate on events they're closely involved in is normal practice. Insider dealing is illegal in the City, Ladbrokes recently took over sponsorship of one of the biggest races of the year, the Hennessy at Newbury. Nevertheless, just like Joey, any jockey found betting on the Ladbrokes Gold Cup would have been banned.

There is a world of difference between fans betting on games and the players involved in those games betting on them. Joey knew exactly what he was doing, and what the consequences were likely to be, but he didn't give a ****e. I like Joey, good luck to him, but on this he was done bang to rights, he asked for all he got.

As for Naomi Klein's 'No Logos', tell you what, you read Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged' and I'll read 'No Logos'.

Deal ?

Already read "Atlas Shrugged".

If I recall correctly, the tome had me questioning the values of individualism versus the collective, realising the greed and corruption inspired by capitalism and the need to recognise when we are being subjected to government coercion and collusion.

Attachment 8928

Not bad when a book can inspire so much deep thought. Now read "No Logos".

Joey never bet on any game he played in, nor did he ever bet more than small change. Many of his bets were made before the rules changed to ban them.
    Yes he was stupid to break the rules, but he wasn’t bent and never stood to make a fortune.

I did once and had a bet for £100000 but it was a tenner at 10000 to 1 for Burnley to win the PL lol! The following year Leicester did it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Already read "Atlas Shrugged".

If I recall correctly, the tome had me questioning the values of individualism versus the collective, realising the greed and corruption inspired by capitalism and the need to recognise when we are being subjected to government coercion and collusion.

Attachment 8928

Not bad when a book can inspire so much deep thought. Now read "No Logos".
    You've read it all ? Really ? Did you really plough through the interminable 60 pages or so of Galt's radio broadcast ? I lost interest about one third of the way through it, and I've yet to meet anyone who admits to surviving that ordeal. Well done if you did, can you explain what the hell he was taking so long to say ?

I do think you've missed Rand's point though, if you think she was talking about the greed and corruption inspired by capitalism.
    Last edited by sinkov; 21-03-2018 at 01:17 PM.

I read today that 888 are pulling out of Germany as one state has declared online betting illegal. Now that’s an idea for JTBCU and the FA

https://www.ft.com/content/dd06b33c-...b-bc4b9f08f381

an also read.....from "the father of spin" - Edward Bernays.

Propaganda

https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/...n_english_.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)