+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: VAR at the World Cup

VAR at the World Cup

So FIFA have decided to use VAR at the World Cup Finals. It made me think how VAR could have changed our season in recent weeks.

The decision against Jerome against Bristol, Ana's offside winner at Millwall, QPR'S push on Johnson for their late equaliser and Huddlestone's sending off at the weekend, all spring to mind. Would it have been worth the delays, to get the right decisions?

Superficially we’d have six more points but still, I think, be fifth. The effect on confidence is, I suppose, unquantifiable but we all know how important that is in sport, so who knows how many more points might have been gathered?
    I feel that using technology to get the correct decision is a good thing but I guess it’ll lead to lots of different sorts of rows at the World Cup...not least...’he should have referred that’.
    Harking back to the Jerome dive/over elaboration, I thought the booking was absurd at the time...haven’t changed my mind and there have been many, many examples of top flight players doing exactly the same thing and benefitting since.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Superficially we’d have six more points but still, I think, be fifth. The effect on confidence is, I suppose, unquantifiable but we all know how important that is in sport, so who knows how many more points might have been gathered?
    I feel that using technology to get the correct decision is a good thing but I guess it’ll lead to lots of different sorts of rows at the World Cup...not least...’he should have referred that’.
    Harking back to the Jerome dive/over elaboration, I thought the booking was absurd at the time...haven’t changed my mind and there have been many, many examples of top flight players doing exactly the same thing and benefitting since.
    Passed the FA ref's exam as part of the FA Level 2 coaching course and also the KNVB ref's course. IMO the ref should have given us 2 penalties that game. Minutes before the one everybody talks about, Jerome was wrestled to the floor inside the box. That too was a penalty. Jerome's yellow? I haven't seen anywhere the reason it was given but it might have been for simulation as he did embellish his fall but I would have given it for unsporting behaviour and, yes, I would have given it and do give them for that.

Does VAR mean Vladimir's Armies Ready!!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)