+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Mansfield Town 17/03/18

I thought it was a much better contest than usual when we play Mansfield in terms of our performance.

Shola had an excellent chance to open the scoring. We played direct as would be expected and Mansfield liked to play it on the floor. A hangover from the Evans era is that they go to ground so easily.

There were a few clear cut chances in the first half by both teams so to go in 1-0 at half time was a good position to be in.

Second half was similar but I felt we set ourselves up to hold onto the lead as the game went on. We needed to try and be brave and go for the second goal. From 70 minutes onwards the ball was mainly in our half. We did we’ll and we’re resolute and we’re looking like we would hold out, but once 7 min were added on it was a tense time. Where the ref got 7 min from I’ll never know.

Mansfield were pegging us back in injury time and it felt like it was only a matter of time before we would succumb. So the handball at the death and penalty breached us.

It was checked and after the game (and no doubt we will see on replays) that the handball was outside the box so it was cruel. But I felt we should have been a bit braver and try and get the second goal and kill the game, rather than try and hold out for a 1-0. So in the end as I’d predicted 1-1 it was a fair result.

The focus will be on the penalty, but we gave away three points by going into "hold what we have" mode" for most of the last half hour, which is asking for trouble whether it comes in the 77th or 97th minute.

I just don't accept the conventional wisdom that it is "professional" to manage the game by wasting time and shutting up shop. This tactic fails time and time again not just for us, but for many teams who try it. If you allow players to go into a defensive, passive mindset they become mentally less sharp, more nervous and more prone to error. The opposition see it happening and take encouragement from it.

If you've been good enough to get into a lead in a game, then maintain your tempo and go for more goals. It keeps you mentally sharper, on the front foot, and stops the opposition from building up a head of steam.

The value or otherwise of today will be down to whether we learn this lesson.
    Last edited by jackal2; 17-03-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    That can’t be right as the Goat herder and Banjostring pie know everything even they weren’t there and can’t see what’s happening in reality!

Good result, unlucky it couldn’t have been more, great performance bodes well for the rest of the season (opinion from someone who was actually there)

You are just angry that your nuts have frozen off Kels, calm down, get yersen a double Tequila and chillax

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The focus will be on the penalty, but we gave away three points by going into "hold what we have" mode" for most of the last half hour, which is asking for trouble whether it comes in the 77th or 97th minute.

I just don't accept the conventional wisdom that it is "professional" to manage the game by wasting time and shutting up shop. This tactic fails time and time again not just for us, but for many teams who try it. If you allow players to go into a defensive, passive mindset they become mentally less sharp, more nervous and more prone to error. The opposition see it happening and take encouragement from it.

If you've been good enough to get into a lead in a game, then maintain your tempo and go for more goals. It keeps you mentally sharper, on the front foot, and stops the opposition from building up a head of steam.

You're right, but it seems ingrained in today's game. And it's not just the psychological factors, but you'll be playing in your half and near your own goal, exactly where you don't want the ball to be!
    When did we try to 'shut up shop'? If it was 'the last half hour' as you say that's asking for trouble.

Currently still in 3rd but only on goal difference...Wycombe, Swindon, Carlisle, Coventry, and Lincoln earlier...all winning....Luton and Accy drawing

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

I completely agree Jackal. We did not draw the game today due to the penalty even though the offence was outside the area , we drew because we did not have enough of a threat to get the second goal and put the game to bed, instead opting to hold on to what we had for the last 20min and injury time. It’s as simple as that in my opinion.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 17-03-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Agreed. We were the better team 1st half and deserved to be a goal in front. 2nd half we decided to 'park the bus' as usual and then 'shock, horror', Mansfield manage to find an equaliser. 2 pts thrown away, Nolo.
    Saying to Marky before KO that although it's hard to have a go at KN overall he has been to negative for my liking all season, let's hope it doesn't cost us. Todays result isn't disastrous & although I agree about "parking the bus" some teams just seem to have a jinx over you & I couldn't see any way back for the Stags without the intervention of a ref who gave us little if anything all afternoon, I reserve judgement until we see a replay but the ref seemed delighted to give it.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Currently still in 3rd but only on goal difference...Wycombe, Swindon, Carlisle, Coventry, and Lincoln earlier...all winning....Luton and Accy drawing
    With all the results in.....Accy pull clear at the top, Luton draw and stay 2nd, Notts hang onto 3rd on goal difference after Wycombe draw level with us after beating Barnet, surprise surprise......the only team to lose in the top 10 were Exeter who still have 2 games in hand over us...we are still 6 points clear of 7th place but everyone chasing us has at least 1 game in hand over us.....mmmm....time for a beerfest

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I completely agree Jackal. We did not draw the game today due to the penalty even though the offence was outside the area , we drew because we did not have enough of a threat to get the second goal and put the game to bed, instead opting to hold on to what we had for the last 20min and injury time. It’s as simple as that in my opinion.
    I agree that it was disappointing the way we invited pressure by dropping deep and allowing them to play the last 20 minutes in and around our box, but I don't agree that "We did not draw the game today due to the penalty even though the offence was outside the area". The ref's decision to award a penalty is exactly the reason we drew the game. I didn't see it as a deliberate handball anyway, but if replays show it happened outside the box that will make it even harder to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I agree that it was disappointing the way we invited pressure by dropping deep and allowing them to play the last 20 minutes in and around our box, but I don't agree that "We did not draw the game today due to the penalty even though the offence was outside the area". The ref's decision to award a penalty is exactly the reason we drew the game. I didn't see it as a deliberate handball anyway, but if replays show it happened outside the box that will make it even harder to take.
    https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/975035176211374080

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast