+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Mansfield Town 17/03/18

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    The number of times our forwards, no matter who they are, actually get control of the ball that's been hoofed up to them are so few that it makes me wonder why Nolan persists with this "tactic". Today our whole midfield withdrew deep into our own half for the last fif**** minutes, this can only be following Nolan's instructions. This was followed by the introduction of Smith for Noble. Now I'm an admirer of Smithy but this move left us with little choice but the long ball and fingers crossed, I thought a better move, as we were not trying for another goal, would have been to take off Stead or Ameobi so Smith could add to the midfield . Not just Mansfield but many teams have taken advantage of this negativity to push forward and punt ball after ball into our penalty area with little chance of interruption from our midfield, it's surprising to me we don't get walloped more often.
    Myself and a few others have been saying this for weeks......Shola is completely knackered after 60 minutes....I know he is the fans favourite, so give him his run out, then sub him for anyone with pace....we were 1~0 with a few minutes to go.....and he brings off Nobsa and leaves Shola on.....it makes no sense to me.....I am baffled.....then he starts having a pop at the ref who actually had a decent game booking 3 Mansfield players

If Shola is still on the pitch in the last 20 minutes, we have no "out" ball....simple....he cannot chase it and the oppo keep chucking it back into the mixer

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the clear red card decision they got away with. In the scuffle that followed the foul on Stead right in front of me, their fat no. 7 ran across and clearly pushed (I think) Noble to the ground in full view of the ref, 4th official and DP lino. After much consultation (and a strong hint from the DP stand of "seven, seven, seven") when they looked perplexed, they took no action!!!!
    Correct.....the Notts lad came flying out of the melee and landed on his arse, right in front of every official on the DP side....no action....to be fair though, he had already booked 3 of their players so maybe he was worried about looking biased?

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    ....to be fair though, he had already booked 3 of their players so maybe he was worried about looking biased?
    Didn't seem to bother him when he 'forgot' to check his watch in the 100th minute.

Bummer but looks a definitely pen to me.
    Nolo's penchant for clean sheets might come back to haunt him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTRrUJOlQ0o

From what I can tell: 9/10 refs would have given the penalty, but only 1/100 would have still been playing that game at 98 minutes.

Just watched it here in NZ along with another Notts fan and we both think defo penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I wasn't there and haven't seen the penalty decision but judging by the posts on here it shows what a difficult job the ref has.
    It must be roughly a 50-50 split on this thread on whether it was a penalty or not.
    But time and again we sit back for the last 15 or so minutes to protect a lead or point and cock it up, it is so frustrating.
    Yeah, tough job, but with such a massive call you have to be 100% sure in order to give it. Could the ref be 100% sure that was a penalty? I'm still not sure after seeing the replay several times.

As always, it's the inconsistency that pisses me off. Yesterday at least one blatant handball wasn't given, but then he had no problem giving the one at the end. Stead was repeatedly fouled by their CB and nothing was given. Their number 7 pretty much grabbed someone by the throat and threw them to the ground, but didn't even get a booking. For a ref who couldn't spot that stuff, why then have zero problem spotting the Allesandra's handball? To me it looked like ball to hand (he was turning - you can't do that with arms at your side) and pretty much on the edge of the area. On top of that we were 8 minutes into injury time. So frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the clear red card decision they got away with. In the scuffle that followed the foul on Stead right in front of me, their fat no. 7 ran across and clearly pushed (I think) Noble to the ground in full view of the ref, 4th official and DP lino. After much consultation (and a strong hint from the DP stand of "seven, seven, seven") when they looked perplexed, they took no action!!!!
    I know. It was right in front of me and the guy should have been sent straight off. The ref saw it, too. He just bottled it. Why bottle that decision but then give the penalty?

100% penalty, Alessandra waved his arm at or towards the ball. Lots to be positive about though - Hewitt and Noble look the real deal, the defence was sound, the commitment was certainly there. Call me old fashioned but a strategy of defending a 1-0 lead for 30 mins with strikers who aren't quick enough to press when the inevitable long ball clearance is launched means that the chances of nicking the 2nd goal on the break are nil, makes that strategy hugely flawed. Noble off for Smith was ludicrous as he and Hewitt were the most effective players in screening the defence. They also contributed a few decent weighted through balls that a pacey forward would eat up, another positive. Overall more good than bad, I did not see the ref as the villain apart from his failure to be decisive on the touchline melee. We will not win enough games by trying to defend slender leads for so long in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Yeah, tough job, but with such a massive call you have to be 100% sure in order to give it. Could the ref be 100% sure that was a penalty? I'm still not sure after seeing the replay several times.

As always, it's the inconsistency that pisses me off. Yesterday at least one blatant handball wasn't given, but then he had no problem giving the one at the end. Stead was repeatedly fouled by their CB and nothing was given. Their number 7 pretty much grabbed someone by the throat and threw them to the ground, but didn't even get a booking. For a ref who couldn't spot that stuff, why then have zero problem spotting the Allesandra's handball? To me it looked like ball to hand (he was turning - you can't do that with arms at your side) and pretty much on the edge of the area. On top of that we were 8 minutes into injury time. So frustrating.
    Spot on. I couldn't believe it when Angol nearly caught the ball and nothing was given but it hits Lewis , ball to hand and is outside the box , penalty. I couldn't say for sure if their player should have sent off , not from where we were sat but he defiantly went flying in. I actually didn't think the ref was that bad but he certainly seem to favour Mansfield and gave them all the major decisions.

ps. Did anyone else notice when they hit the side netting , the ref points for a goal kick , no appeals from the Mansfield players . He then swings his arm around and points for a corner , even they looked surprised!
    Last edited by navypie; 18-03-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast