+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Absolute dross

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Are you able to share with us what you've heard ESR?
    No not really sorry

Seems to me as SB's alluding to is that the ability to nod one's head and agree without questioning your superiors is the ideal fit down there .

Clearly Hecky wasn't made that way and the club's senior pro isn't playing ball either .

Your stock " Crisis Manager's " aren't made that way either , Fat Sam , Mick Mac , Warnock , Evans or even Grayson .

@ss kickers and fuq you merchants , " get off my training field and go tap on your computer , I run this squad "

Even from the outside looking in and with limited knowledge it's fair to say we wouldn't be getting that kind of manager / coach .

Whilst ever they get results they are tolerated , generally speaking a few losses and they depart which is why many of em have a boat load of clubs behind them .

Their strength quickly becomes their weakness and there are now far too many people running football clubs today who have to be the smartest people in the room , their ego's determine that .

I think it's reasonable to suggest that's where we are on Grove Street given who has a hand in this and that and ring fenced behind directorship's .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 18-03-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Summats not reyt darn theear.

Al throw this thought in the mix. In January 2017 Linton Brown left as CEO in still unexplained circumstances and we expected a new CEO to be appointed in reasonable time. Heckingbottom took on the roles of both HC and CEO for what he probably thought worra few weeks. Tha cud see it wo draining him as went on month after month and it wont until June that up popped the Marketing and Development Director Gauthier Ganaye from FC Lens. He seemed to have been given a key role in operating the Spreadsheet System as part of The Plan of buying young and cheap with potential sell-on value, polishing diamonds and turds, and selling for profit. It appeared from the outside that it worked by the HC being given a list of players identified by the Spreadsheet and the HC being asked for his views with little prior knowledge of them.
    It led to a gradual worsening of relationships darn theear with the HC making comments abart the squad being unbalanced and what we really need is X, Y and Z suggesting he had diminishing input abart which players were coming in. It led to the post Rotherham friendly outburst from the HC abart being dealt a crock of sh1te for the upcoming season. Even the one player the HC was keen to get in, McBurnie from Swansea, was c0cked up, still unexplained who was to blame. It is unsurprising relationships were not the finest.
    Then focus was diverted to the takeover, eventually leading to an overseas consortium buying the club whose motives for doing so remain unclear. They declared they were delighted with The Plan/ Spreadsheet system of operating with much being made of Billy Beane's similar approach to working. "Too good to be true", "We wont be spending crazy money" Experience at OGC Nice showed they had little intention to invest in the football side of things and were happy as long as the books balanced. OGC Nice has declined from them inheriting a squad capable of gaining a Champions League place to a mid table non entity with fans moaning abart lack of football investment and players like Ballotelli and Seri abart to jump ship.
    More of the same was the future at Barnsley and Heckingbottom was gone at his first real opportunity. The consortium had arrived mid December giving them time to assess the club's football situation and perhaps look to allowing some of their vast wealth to bring in some experienced players but that was not to be. The appointment of a new HC was apparently delegated to an increasingly influential Ganaye, young James Cryne and the Club Accountant. They were starstruck by this unemployed candidate who had worked as one of Mourinho's coaches and who had worked with top players when perhaps what was needed was somebody with knowledge of what was needed in a Championship dog fight. The French CEO was happy he had got his man, someone happy to work with the Spreadsheet.
    Interesting times ahead with the French CEO in a powerful position but summats not reyt darn theear.
    Good post SB .

I think fans either supported the plan which Cryne put in place or they want to see us move away from it . As someone who takes an interest in Football finance it’s clear that unless you are owned by a multi millionaire fan who is willing to bank roll his boyhood club then new owners very rarely put their own money into clubs . If they spend big and chase a dream then it’s usually the club that gets saddled with the debt and rarely comes out of the new outsider owners pockets . That’s why I never expected much to change , they wanted to keep things similar.

So we either try and continue with the plan to generate money or we run up debts as we don’t have a local lad ready to throw a few million of his own money in every few years .

The other point was what was the alternative. It either stopped in the Cryne family 100% with James trying to run things but without his Dads income or the consortium took over . I’m yet to hear from anyone of a third credibile option so we will have to suck it and see I suppose.

I doubt Jose will be around too long but to be fair he’s not got us playing any worse than what Hecky did over the last year so I’ll not slate him too much as it’s obvious the squad is not strong enough as neither could do much with it .

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    Good post SB .

I think fans either supported the plan which Cryne put in place or they want to see us move away from it . As someone who takes an interest in Football finance it’s clear that unless you are owned by a multi millionaire fan who is willing to bank roll his boyhood club then new owners very rarely put their own money into clubs . If they spend big and chase a dream then it’s usually the club that gets saddled with the debt and rarely comes out of the new outsider owners pockets . That’s why I never expected much to change , they wanted to keep things similar.

So we either try and continue with the plan to generate money or we run up debts as we don’t have a local lad ready to throw a few million of his own money in every few years .

The other point was what was the alternative. It either stopped in the Cryne family 100% with James trying to run things but without his Dads income or the consortium took over . I’m yet to hear from anyone of a third credibile option so we will have to suck it and see I suppose.

I doubt Jose will be around too long but to be fair he’s not got us playing any worse than what Hecky did over the last year so I’ll not slate him too much as it’s obvious the squad is not strong enough as neither could do much with it .
    It's league one where we belong now isn't it , that's not meant to be a disrespectful statement but more a grasp on reality .

The occasional jump up to the championship maybe survive a season on the back of the previous season's momentum and then back down to league one .

Which ever way you try to play this it's mega investment on the field that determines your destiny , nobody really wants to see the club spending that kind of money because as we've seen with other clubs it never ends well .

I think we could have possibly done a little more investment wise I will say that , the league position in January and who we brought in plus those who turned us down
    left me bewildered to be honest .

I remember under early Machin flogging David Currie to Forest and spending the fee on Gary Fleming , Andy Saville , Brendan O'Connell , Brian McCord , Gerry Taggart and Mark Smith and keeping us up .

Different ball game back then I suppose but that's how we generally cracked the nut as a small club in the second tier .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Seems to me as SB's alluding to is that the ability to nod one's head and agree without questioning your superiors is the ideal fit down there .

Clearly Hecky wasn't made that way and the club's senior pro isn't playing ball either .

Your stock " Crisis Manager's " aren't made that way either , Fat Sam , Mick Mac , Warnock , Evans or even Grayson .

@ss kickers and fuq you merchants , " get off my training field and go tap on your computer , I run this squad "

Even from the outside looking in and with limited knowledge it's fair to say we wouldn't be getting that kind of manager / coach .

Whilst ever they get results they are tolerated , generally speaking a few losses and they depart which is why many of em have a boat load of clubs behind them .

Their strength quickly becomes their weakness and there are now far too many people running football clubs today who have to be the smartest people in the room , their ego's determine that .

I think it's reasonable to suggest that's where we are on Grove Street given who has a hand in this and that and ring fenced behind directorship's .

That seems to be the case. The previous regime got lucky in assembling the 15/16 promotion team. Lots of young players came together but the key here is that it was in league 1 with the core of that squad signed by Danny Wilson, football man. Cast our minds back to october/November 2015 and that rotten losing streak we had. It takes time to mould young lads even in league 1.

The championship has proven to be a step too far to operate under the same working constraints with young footballers. I think it's a minor miracle that we aren't down already this season and credit has to go to Hecky for that.

SB is spot on in his summary of events over the last 14 months. It seems to me that non football people have put us in this position by signing players on a statistic basis and not the previous head coach who became the scapegoat for our fortunes this season. Morais will soon find this out.

Even if we survive this season we will certainly go down next season if changes in philosophy aren't made. Its a cast iron certainty.

My answer would be to get the likes Wilson and Winstanley on board in a capacity to spot the young players with true potential. They have a wealth of experience as opposed to what we have now. Mix that with getting in key experience in certain positions, ie- a goalkeeper, centre aif, midfielders and striker. That would give our young lads something to work off and learn from. Then get an experienced head coach instead of being blinded by no mark names who are simply here due to being associated with big name managers and have no experience in working in challenging situations such as ours

It's league one where we belong now isn't it , that's not meant to be a disrespectful statement but more a grasp on reality .

The occasional jump up to the championship maybe survive a season on the back of the previous season's momentum and then back down to league one .

Which ever way you try to play this it's mega investment on the field that determines your destiny , nobody really wants to see the club spending that kind of money because as we've seen with other clubs it never ends well .

I think we could have possibly done a little more investment wise I will say that , the league position in January and who we brought in plus those who turned us down
    left me bewildered to be honest .

I remember under early Machin flogging David Currie to Forest and spending the fee on Gary Fleming , Andy Saville , Brendan O'Connell , Brian McCord , Gerry Taggart and Mark Smith and keeping us up .

Different ball game back then I suppose but that's how we generally cracked the nut as a small club in the second tier .
    Yes agree , we’re a League 1 club who will yo-yo and have been for a while unless someone pumps in millions. The new owners have said they want to carry on the similar financial route so don’t see much changing

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    That seems to be the case. The previous regime got lucky in assembling the 15/16 promotion team. Lots of young players came together but the key here is that it was in league 1 with the core of that squad signed by Danny Wilson, football man. Cast our minds back to october/November 2015 and that rotten losing streak we had. It takes time to mould young lads even in league 1.

The championship has proven to be a step too far to operate under the same working constraints with young footballers. I think it's a minor miracle that we aren't down already this season and credit has to go to Hecky for that.

SB is spot on in his summary of events over the last 14 months. It seems to me that non football people have put us in this position by signing players on a statistic basis and not the previous head coach who became the scapegoat for our fortunes this season. Morais will soon find this out.

Even if we survive this season we will certainly go down next season if changes in philosophy aren't made. Its a cast iron certainty.

My answer would be to get the likes Wilson and Winstanley on board in a capacity to spot the young players with true potential. They have a wealth of experience as opposed to what we have now. Mix that with getting in key experience in certain positions, ie- a goalkeeper, centre aif, midfielders and striker. That would give our young lads something to work off and learn from. Then get an experienced head coach instead of being blinded by no mark names who are simply here due to being associated with big name managers and have no experience in working in challenging situations such as ours
    Good post pass and well summed up .

What we have today is corporate world , spreadsheets , CEO's , buzz words , presentations , Head Coaches not managers , recruitment teams , performance analyst's , sports scientist , the list goes on .

People are inside the club because it's created millions of pounds today , the people of yesterday worked or held jobs here because they loved the club , Spinks , Winnie , Rimmo , John Dennis and to be fair Patrick .

The game is a magnet for career builders , Mansford and GG will be the same , here today and gone tomorrow .

It's hit me hard because in some respects Hecky was the last man standing and my interest has taken a nose dive since his departure .

I got this new ownership totally wrong , I welcomed it not that we had much choice it's sad to say .

We aren't that kind of club , our strength was having local people who cared passionately about the club and not money or careers , we are muck n nettles and that's our identity .

I'm not suggesting the old ways were perfect , far from it but we generally knew where we stood .

Today I'm left wondering what we are and where we are headed , once the money dries up there's no love or connection to drive the club and that's worrying .

I and other 1000s of BFC fans have had enough of yo yoing between LG 1 and championship and our fan base will surely suffer lm fed up of having a decent championship team sold in a fire sale and replaced with ordinary LG 1 players season after season.BFC has always been in my blood but it's draining away Saturday after Saturday

Our new consortium have trotted out a few times the line that we will grow commercial income at the club and that will be the main source of money for the transfer/wages budget. This apparently will be done by developing us as a global brand people want to be associated with. This was the French CEO's role at Lens before he came here.
    The club is rapidly losing it's local community feeling and "soul" and Roma's post last neet abart hearing the club may be finishing links with Becketts, Palmer Construction and ? concerns me. I can't see the much promised improved "matchday experience" bringing in much. Apart from rocketting up Season Ticket/ matchday ticket prices which will lead to fans leaving in droves the only other main source would seem to be income from hotel/leisure/retail developments which is their core business.

Good post pass and well summed up .

What we have today is corporate world , spreadsheets , CEO's , buzz words , presentations , Head Coaches not managers , recruitment teams , performance analyst's , sports scientist , the list goes on .

People are inside the club because it's created millions of pounds today , the people of yesterday worked or held jobs here because they loved the club , Spinks , Winnie , Rimmo , John Dennis and to be fair Patrick .

The game is a magnet for career builders , Mansford and GG will be the same , here today and gone tomorrow .

It's hit me hard because in some respects Hecky was the last man standing and my interest has taken a nose dive since his departure .

I got this new ownership totally wrong , I welcomed it not that we had much choice it's sad to say .

We aren't that kind of club , our strength was having local people who cared passionately about the club and not money or careers , we are muck n nettles and that's our identity .

I'm not suggesting the old ways were perfect , far from it but we generally knew where we stood .

Today I'm left wondering what we are and where we are headed , once the money dries up there's no love or connection to drive the club and that's worrying .
    Football has changed and for the worse imo and probably everyone else’s.

I do think people look back with rose tinted specs on though and a lot of it will be down to them comparing different parts of their life . Everything was better when we were youngens and in our twenties.

But was Don Rowing any better than Mansford and GG ?

And are the new owners running the club any different to Patrick Cryne ?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast