+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: United 0 Forest 0 - report

United 0 Forest 0 - report

The Blades missed a chance to go back into the top 6 as they failed to do enough to see of Nottingham Forest at a freezing cold Bramall Lane. The game took place with blizzard type conditions occurring at different parts of the afternoon and the pitch had one half snow covered; another bathed in sunshine; due to the sun melting the snow at the Kop End. It looked quite odd! The lines were marked out in red and snow had to be shovelled off the Bramall Lane end of the pitch for the closing stages to allow the markings to be seen. The game saw United never at their best and a golden chance for Leon Clarke that he badly missed was as close as he got. Indeed, after an even first half, Forest were the far better side second half and if it was not for Jamal Blackman making several good saves, the visitors would have taken a deserved victory. The Blades simply never got going and their big performers this season, messrs Clarke, Sharp, Duffy and Brooks did not show up. Not one had a good game. You cannot expect United to win when that is the case. The home side looked a tired team by full time and were devoid of ideas. The lack of energy and bite saw them struggling to create anything of note and by the end were rather fortunate to take anything from the game. With rivals Middlesbrough picking up a point at Brentford and Bristol City and Preston winning; United missed a huge opportunity against a side that in truth had little to play for.

In came leading scorer Clarke and also Leonard for Wilson and Basham (whose wife was giving birth). Jake Wright was back on the bench. There were no places on the subs bench for either Wilson or Ched Evans. Kieron Freeman was also still not involved. Forest had made a number of changes to their squad in January and had Premier League experience in the likes of Ben Watson and Jack Colback in midfield.

The game began with the snow swirling around the Lane and it was certainly difficult conditions. United won an early corner but Clarke’s header was routine for Pantilimon to flick over. Forest had a decent move and Murphy nearly set up Colback but the game was played mainly in midfield. United had a great chance though when Fleck sent over and Clarke somehow headed wide with the goal at his mercy. Forest came back and Bereton had a shot blocked before Evans fired over with a first-time effort over the bar.

Fleck then had a go but his weak shot was saved easily from Pantilimon who at first seemed to be wrong footed. Forest then broke and Dowell played in Bereton but Stearman got a toe in. Stevens was robbed on half way and Cash broke and drew a good save from Blackman who tipped behind. Fox then was booked eventually for stopping Blackman for releasing the ball for several seconds. The game had not been a classic and the half time whistle came with neither side being able to say they had done enough to lead with Forest having the best effort on goal and Clarke missing the outstanding chance for either side.

The second half saw Forest come out quicker and they pushed United back and won two corners but then Baldock broke but his cross was too close to the keeper. Forest then had a flurry of chances and really should have led. Forest got away twice down the right-hand side and crosses came. Dowell had a close-range chance and Blackman saved from point blank range and then soon after Murphy had a shot saved and the rebound went wide; deflected for a corner. It was a tight game but these were clear chances considering what had gone before.

United had not got going second half but had a break away and Duffy had a chance but blazed over when well-placed after some good hold up. Sharp gave way to Brooks but the youngster gave away possession twice to set Forest on the attack. Lolley came on Dowell for Forest. Evans then slipped and this summed up United’s display and Murphy was clear but missed badly into the side netting with the goal gaping and United’s defence all over the place due to the giveaway higher up the field.

Holmes came on for Leonard and United tried to inject something with all three of their creative players on the field for the first time but it made little difference as United could not get any kind of foothold and were constantly giving it away. Forest were not much better but at least had a few moves of note and if anything were pressing harder for the winner and won a series of corners and free kicks. Tomlin replaced Murphy for the visitors as they tried to find the creativity to win the game and they certainly were not settling for a point.

The final move saw Donaldson on for Duffy but United looked disjointed and the crowd started to become frustrated at the performance. The game was halted to clear the snow but the stop start nature of the game meant nobody would have even realised the game has stopped! Blackman then saved well from Murphy and Stearman made a ***** interception in the follow up. There were to be 5 minutes of stoppage time played and United had one chance when Fleck made Pantilimon finally make his first save of note; maybe of the entire game really. but Forest ended up spending most of this on the attack and a stupid free kick giveaway from Evans saw them pump one final ball in the box that was cleared. Not long after the final whistle came and the fans trooped out into the streets as another deluge of snow was dumped onto S2.

United – Today showed why in reality we may just miss out. Too often; especially at home (Wednesday, Bolton other examples) since Christmas have we not turned up really and today was another game. First half I felt we were not really at it but missed a good chance but it was a mostly even game albeit played in tricky conditions for both teams. I felt second half we would come out and raise it; play higher up the field, press more, be better with the ball and move it quicker. I felt some players would improve but the opposite happened. We got worse. Their keeper had one save of note to make all game except some regulation stops. I am not sure we created more than 1 or 2 chances to their 4 or 5. We did nothing from an attacking sense second half and I was bewildered how poor we were.

Forest won the midfield and played the better stuff; they moved it around more, got behind us and created 2 or 3 good chances. We if anything were hanging on at the end and never really looked like scoring. The second half was even more flat than the first half. We just never got going and it was really poor. Forest looked more like the side with something to play for. I was gobsmacked how slow and pedestrian we were. There was no belief and more than that no hunger. Duffy had a shot over and we had one shot saved I think from Clarke (an awful effort) and a Fleck effort but straight at the keeper really.

They had 3 or 4 really clear chances and better finishing or if Blackman had been more alert it would have been a defeat. They had more of the ball, more shots and more corners. For the second time in the week the away side had the better chances. We have taken 4 points from the 2 games and are very fortunate to get that.

It looked like a side that did not think they could make the top 6 second half and too many just froze (maybe it was the weather) when it really mattered. Wilder slammed the side when they had the chance to get back in the top 6 at Hull and they did not turn up and today was not far off (granted not as bad). The players probably are not good enough and as well as Clarke, Brooks, Duffy etc have done this year; they just all failed to deliver again when it mattered.

The weather did not help but it was the same for both teams. Our best players were the keeper and 3 centre backs; the full backs were sloppy and final ball awful, Fleck did ok but also was not at his best at times and I felt Evans showed what he is; very pedestrian and ordinary – he lacks quality on the ball and makes bad decisions constantly. The flair players Duffy and Brooks did little right and we had nothing up top at all. I felt they were up against two not what I would call traditional centre backs and were really poor. Both Fox and Figuerido normally play full back I believe and are quite small but Clarke and Sharp did not impose themselves and completely lost the battle. I felt Clarke looked way off the pace and he could have gone when Sharp did.

Brooks was appalling when he came on and did nothing right. It was a game where players make poor choices, were sloppy on the ball and lacked desire at times; we were 10 yards off them and did not press second half. However, more than anything we lacked quality when it mattered. We had some decent use of the ball; first half but time and time again the final ball was abysmal; hitting the first man or over hitting. Second half we just gave it away. I cannot remember us keeping it for more than 3 or 4 passes and I also feel we did not step up when it mattered. We chucked men on and more forward thinking players but made no difference. Wilder claims we went for it but we did not really do that and it just became disjointed. It is ok throwing bodies on but we lost our shape and it were lucky we did not get caught. He claims Forest had chances as we pushed forward but it was not really like that. Most of the chances they had came from open play and not from us having men forward and them breaking. We simply were not good enough with the ball and stood off without it.

We felt it would just come but you have to work harder and we did not do that. Nobody seized the initiative and we did not deserve to win the game. The players proved that when it mattered they lack the quality to go on and unlock teams. However, today second half we did not even really get into the last third much so it was not even about that. I just felt we were not good enough today.

. It was not tactics, formation or line up. Holmes and Brooks got a fair spell. Clarke and Sharp had plenty of time. No-one took advantage.

We have some good players and some very average ones. Today the good ones did not turn up and allied to the average players playing ahem…average; we got an average to poor performance and result that mirrored that. They cannot blame the slippy pitch or lack of movement or anyone else. They had the chance; just one of them to step up and show a moment of quality and beat quite an average side (table proves that) and get in the top 6 they blew it. We could have been joint 5th but now are 9th and are running out of chances you feel.

Now we have 3 really tough games. I would love to see us get some results but our form against the top sides had been mostly poor. I cannot see us getting much at Brentford and we have two hard home games against Cardiff and Boro. It is still tight but today was a game we had to go and win and put in a proper performance against an ordinary side. We did not that do that and were lucky to even get a draw. The next 3 or 4 games will see if the players have anything left but today suggested they probably have run out of steam.

Forest – Karanaka has got them more solid and this is the third successive 0-0 which shows they are not conceding and not quite the soft touch they were. They have stiffened up the midfield with the two red heads Watson and Colback and the defence are not making the errors they were earlier in the season. They have been very up and down all season and had some big wins and even recently scored a lot of goals (QPR away) but he seems to have concentrated mainly on getting the defence right and more discipline. Today showed that. They did not come and shut up shot though and had 2 up top in Murphy and Bereton. They had chances and will be disappointed not to have won. Better finishing from some guilt edged opportunities and they would have got the 1 or 2-0 win they deserved.

I felt they pressed us and worked really hard for a team with little to lose. Sure, the keeper took his time first half but then they realised they had little in front of them and had a real go. At the end they were pressing and looked the more likely which is odd when we are the playoff chasing team. The full backs were more effective than our wing backs and even though they went 4-4-2 although it came a 4-5-1 when they did not have the ball; they actually had more of the ball than us and the midfield were better at times. They gave it away quite a bit like us and at times the game lacked real quality. The weather did not help but the pitch played quite well considering and they at least got behind us and created something. We created nothing by comparison really second half save for a few half chances.

Opposition Man of the Match: The two centre backs played well. The full backs pressed up on our wing backs and the strikers worked hard. The keeper was largely untroubled. I felt the two midfield lads though won many of the loose balls and controlled the game; both Watson and Colbakc have played largely Premier League and sadly today they showed up against our midfield who have never played a Premier League game in their life.

Opposition Weak link: I expected more of Murphy up top but like with Clarke the ball did not stick. I also thought the two young talents Cash and Dowell would do more but neither got that involved really.

Blackman 8/10 – Our man of the match and not even close. If he has not made the saves he has in the last week we would have got 4 points and may have been lucky to even escape with one. Made two good saves Tuesday and bettered it with one in the first half today and two really good ones second half. He was the only player for United (maybe Stearman) who can say they were pleased with their performance and was left badly exposed for the 2nd time in the week. Worrying when the away side create much clearer chances two games running.

Baldock 6/10 – Marginally better than Stevens but not sure it was his best game today. He got forward a few times but his final ball also was not quite good enough. He overplayed a few and then second half put one too close to the keeper. He also was too far off his man and they got in a number of decent crosses. He kept plugging away and seemed as frustrated when he sprinted forward and did not get the ball but second half he was having to defend more than attack which shows how the game went.

Stevens 6/10 – He got into so many good positions and so many times hit the first man or put a poor ball. He did ok at times defensively but other times was way too far off his man or did not mark. First half he gave it away and they nearly broke and scored and then he did the same second half. He makes too many mistakes and is too inconsistent at the moment. Played well Tuesday but overall post Xmas his play defensively and attacking has not been standards it was in 2017.

Leonard 7/10 – Best I have seen him play for United. He played right centre back and was really solid. He used it well and looked comfortable coming out. He made some good interceptions and was able to bring it out and find a shirt. He looked better in defence than he has in midfield for us. Showed this might be his better position on the evidence we have seen. Thought he was unlucky to go off and we got worse when he came off.

O’Connell 7/10 – Did ok but with the ball he was just smashing it away or out and I felt he did not get forward much either due to the way Forest pressed. He did alright defensively and I felt he kept to his position and was able to do what he needed. The problem was in front of him today.

Stearman 7/10 – Our best outfield player and he just did his job. Summed up how poor the rest of them were. He made a few interceptions and blocks. He used the ball better than most and looked more composed than the rest. Although the defence did lose a few men in the box, I felt the problem came more from our midfield and wing backs not marking and allowing the ball to come across- it was inevitable chances would drop.

Fleck 6/10 – Thought he was our best midfielder of a bad bunch really. He worked hard and at least pressed them and tried to tackle (although got booked again). He at least ran at them a bit first half and tried to penetrate. He was the only midfielder to actually carry the ball and try and draw man. Put in a great cross for the Fleck chance. Second half he never really got going either and save for a few runs near the end; his play dropped off and I felt we had no control of midfield at all. We just tossed the ball away again and again. Really disappointed with our midfield and front players today.

Evans 5.5/10 – Sure I will get a lot of criticism for this but struggling to see what he offers? His first instinct is to go sideways and backwards and he slows play down so much as he takes forever to do even the basic stuff. Needs to touch and move it but does not have skill to do this. He makes poor decisions on the ball, often trying wildly ridiculous shots or cross field balls and does not press the ball (the two lads for Forest had forever on the ball) and I felt like Fleck was having to mark two men at times. Twice he gave it away (once he slipped) and set them on the attack and they nearly scored. People say he has been a good signing but like Lundstram we have not won many games he has played and Fleck and Duffy generally have been ok to good so there must be a weak link somewhere. I am not sure he is the answer. He lacks pace, athleticism and ultimately the ability for a top-level midfielder. He is just very ordinary – he does everything very slowly which is fine if he keeps the ball but he does not even do that.

Duffy 5/10 – One of his poorest games of the season; if not his worst. At Forest he was superb and ripped them to shreds at times. Today, his touch was poor, his passing poor and he lost it at key times. He did not do much right all game and got outmuscled or shoved off the ball. Just had one of those days. Maybe the cold did not help! He was left on as you hoped he would just provide that one moment of magic but it never happened and eventually went off for Donaldson.

Sharp 6/10 – Him and Clarke did not hold the ball up; did not link and did not really offer anything. It was too easy for the Forest defence. Granted the service was poor again but not sure either of them was even a nuisance factor today. They need to do much more. He was maybe better than Clarke though even though contributed little.

Clarke 6/10 – A nothing type of performance. He tried at times but quality lacking. Surprised he came back but he looked out of sorts. He missed a sitter when it was easier to score and then hit an awfully weak shot second half. Outside of this he held it up a few times but too often was slow to react and let his man get in front of him. Looked disinterested second half though and their defence had an easy time. He is miles off the pressing, bustling forward that unsettled defences and played on the shoulders earlier in the season. Not scored since early January and you can see why.

Subs:

Brooks – Woeful. However, he is the sort of player that at times it won’t always come off but he does need to work harder. Looked very complacent today. Should have been high on confidence but came on over confident. Lost it first time he had it day dreaming and then this happened time after time as he was too slow and weak. Twice he set them on attack by losing the ball. I suppose with players like him it either works or it does not but today he did not even do the basics. I think he had 9 or 10 touches or moments and not once did he make the right choice or do anything positive. He has to show more consistency and sadly for all the plaudits he gets and I believe he can be a special player he has to do it week in, week out or he will only be a cameo type player at whatever level (will be Prem eventually I am sure). Sure he will be better next time and for all the criticism he may get for not making an impact; what is the excuse of those that played for the first hour?

Holmes – He was better than Brooks but only just! He had a few moments on the ball but he too lost it, got outmuscled or made poor choices. Tried a few shots but both times they got blocked and they were away on the break. This signing has not worked at all; he has not been in the side or been injured and with his age not quite sure he is what we needed as he is another player that has never played higher than League One.

Donaldson – Difficult with only 10 minutes to go and we were defending at the point more than attacking. Chased a few balls but his control is quite poor and it seems to bobble off him quite a lot. Interesting that Wilson and Evans were not in the squad. The rotation of every other front man except Sharp and Clarke; suggests that Wilder is not sure any of these are good enough to do more than play odd minutes here and there off the bench.

Manager: Wilder 6/10 – He brought in Leonard for Basham and this change was fine. Clarke came back in for Wilson but he was as ineffective as the Man Utd man. Indeed, we have had little to nothing from our front men this week. They have not worked hard enough or led from the front. The midfield have given the ball away too much. The keeper and defence have been the highlights of the last two games. That is worrying when we are the home side playing two bottom half sides. I felt we would really go for it second half and sure Wilder will see his chances indicate that but the reality is that even with the attacking personnel; Forest looked the more likely and we never turned up second half. It was a complete non-performance and we looked out of energy and out of ideas. Today, proved that what Wilder said after Hull in terms of how well we have done but even the players may lack belief they are good enough for the top 6 is probably true. We have too many average and inconsistent players and lack pace and zip at the top of the field to get behind teams.

Officials – Tierney booked four players but not sure there was a bad foul all game. Fleck got his traditional booking for a cynical foul and they got one for persistent fouling (Watson), another for a pullback (Colback) and then one for not moving away from the keeper (Fox). As for the rest of the game; felt he was a bit fussy and should have let it flow more but we have had a lot worse. Not sure why the game stopped at the end to do the markings as it had been like that at the Lane end most of the game. He should have booked the keeper for blatant time wasting early on and then he feigned injury second half. Overall though a poor game and not sure he could be really discussed as having any impact on what happened so I suppose he was ok when you think of it like that!

Crowd – Really good crowd of 28,000+ considering the weather although there were some gaps and not sure it was quite that full but know they count season ticket holders. Forest sold out and were noisy at times but felt the crowd was flat all game. Wilder asked for the home fans to make a difference but it was really quiet and the fans lack of belief matched the players. To be fair there was nothing really for the United crowd to get behind as the players served up a non-event. The fans became frustrated at the lack of anything really to get behind. There were groans at the end but this was more frustration than loud boos. I felt the team were poor and the crowd were poor today. We have a few big home games to come but if we do not go on that run of wins; that we simply have not done since Xmas; these could become academic and the season could sadly peter out.

We are 3 points off the play-offs with 9 games to go - nil desperandum - carpe diem!

said it before and i will say it again final third is our problem not enough movement not enough pace very very dissapointed with todays performance we can forget play offs if we carry on playing like that

Clarke is a 5- typo

leon looked like a prem striker first 4 months of season but has looked like a league 1 striker for last 4 months of season ever since he signed new contract actually strange that ?

Are you really a Blade. Your comments about the support sounded like a delusional Pig. Every time you write it's always to pan the fans, not sure where you sit but think it's nearer the Railway than the pitch. Crowd was excellent today and got behind the team. I sit
    middle of the South Stand and heard f/all from the Florist fans. As for Brookes he did as much as could have been expected in the conditions.

Anyway apart from the Blade slagging the rest of your articles are pretty good. . Not sure what more could be expected from the crowd if they were frozen solid like me.

yes your right lst we looked physically tired today were just lacking that bit of quality to get through teams and as usual if duffy has a poor game we do im afraid as for the crowd it was a bit tense as forest got at us in the last 20 i thought we were a bit too deep today and allowed forest on to us plus too many negative square balls but im afraid thats because we havent got the pace or movement up top to get runners in behind still been a hell of a season and certainly not over yet but i think we need at least 5 wins and a draw out of last 8 games and that while not being impossible is a big ask utb ftp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast