+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The penalty kick law

I think the whole penalty rule is a complete farce.How many times are players fouled in the box,especially from corners,and nothing is given.The old,anywhere else on the pitch that's a free kick,it's a joke.

Edit to EP ........ Sorry missed out 'chain' for the 22 yards. So in joke, 10 chains = 1 furlong and 80 chains = 1 mile!! Going even further, a barleycorn is one third of an inch therefore my slack two inches equates to six barleycorns in length!!!

And while we're at it, let's cover decimal and pre-decimal currencies. 240 pennies to the £ won't confuse kids any more than 39 inches to the metre, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    And while we're at it, let's cover decimal and pre-decimal currencies. 240 pennies to the £ won't confuse kids any more than 39 inches to the metre, eh?
    And I forgot Avoirdupois weights. Trouble is, I doubt the teachers of today would have the knowledge to teach it! No problem with the currency ...... it's still a pound not an effing euro.... and as Mr Wilson said .............etc.

Incidentally, did you win the argument with Mrs Elite last night?
    Afraid not. She didn't agree with what me and seriouspie were saying about "6" less didn't really matter".

I think one of the great things about football is its simplicity. If you don’t deliberately handle the ball or foul someone in the area, you won’t give a penalty away.

People aren’t sure why there was 9 minutes of stoppage time yesterday but I’m still not sure what Alessandra was doing either.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Talking about being a traditionalist got me thinking about measurements.
    I use a bit of both. For cooking I always work in mls and gms (I particularly hate recipes that say '2 cups of flour'), same with any woodwork type stuff like a laminate floor I've just laid - I find 756mm much easier than 2' 5 3/4". I prefer fractions when betting however, even though decimal odds are probably simpler. I knew instantly even as a 14 year old that 7/4 was a better price than 13/8.

Quote Originally Posted by DomdomPie View Post
    I’ve often thought that being awarded a penalty kick when running away from goal (but still in the box) is a daft rule. If it’s the same for both sides though, I suppose it’s as fair as any other rule.
    Actually, I always thought that unless the handling offence was a deliberate act to prevent a goal then it should be an indirect free kick from where the offence was committed, I stand to be corrected on this.

Arithmetic would have been much simpler if we humans had been born with twelve fingers and not ten. Ten is the root of all metric measurement and seems simple but it's drawback is that it is divisible by only the numbers 2 and 5, so unless the decimal point is used you cannot have 1/3, 1/4, 1/6 or 1/12 or multiples of these, however if we had twelve fingers we could. If we count from one to ten (on our twelve fingers) and then use the two numbers eleven and twelve, then to carry on counting, instead of thir****, four****, etc, we use something like onedoz (doz for dozen), twodoz, threedoz, etc.

It's too late for us now of course but in Mansfield they've been using for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I use a bit of both. For cooking I always work in mls and gms (I particularly hate recipes that say '2 cups of flour'), same with any woodwork type stuff like a laminate floor I've just laid - I find 756mm much easier than 2' 5 3/4". I prefer fractions when betting however, even though decimal odds are probably simpler. I knew instantly even as a 14 year old that 7/4 was a better price than 13/8.
    Without labouring the point (no pun intended!) this Imperial V Metric argument is what you've been brought up on in many cases. When I was an apprentice fitter back in the 50's, we knew nothing else than Imperial in all it's formats. It may have been when we joined the EU that we changed, I can't remember to be honest. It was obviously more useful for the likes of engineering drawings to be in metric to fit in with mostly the rest of the world although I believe America still use Imperial. It's just me, I cannot get used to the change although much easier in many cases.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast