+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The penalty kick law

The penalty kick law

I'm a bit of a traditionalist, so I'm usually against any changes to the laws of the game. The awarding of penalty kicks however has concerned me for many years. This isn't specifically about today's game (although I think it provides a perfect example of my point), as I realise it will work in our favour as often as it works against us. My bone of contention is the punishment fitting the crime. If there is a clear goalscoring opportunity denied by foul play then a penalty kick is the correct decision. An average percentage of a penalty kicks resulting in a goal is around 80%, but what were the chances today? An innocuous ball bouncing around the edge of the box, I'd say they had a 2-3% chance of a goal if the alleged offence hadn't happened. But that 2-3% chance turns into an 80% chance once the ref decides to blow his whistle. I propose a first and second degree offence in the box, much like the murder or manslaughter charge in statute law. Where the offence is clearly deliberate to deny a goalscoring opportunity, that is punished by a penalty kick from 12 yards. A more dubious offence like today should result in a second degree penalty kick which is taken from the edge of the box (18 yards) or the mid point of the arc around the box (22 yards), take your pick.

Memo to FIFA, I am available for other advice without the need for the customary brown envelopes.

Perhaps we could stop the game for 10/15 minutes whilst a committee meets to discuss the % . Without wanting to start an argument , what a load of b0ll0x .

Memo to FIFA........................

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Perhaps we could stop the game for 10/15 minutes whilst a committee meets to discuss the % . Without wanting to start an argument , what a load of b0ll0x .

Memo to FIFA........................
    You don't seem to understand (no surprises there). The decision would be made by the referee and would be instant. Maybe I should have explained that in detail for the hard of thinking, but I'd guess that 99% on here would have worked it out for themselves anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    You don't seem to understand (no surprises there). The decision would be made by the referee and would be instant. Maybe I should have explained that in detail for the hard of thinking, but I'd guess that 99% on here would have worked it out for themselves anyway.
    There you go, having a dig and using % again. Back the post , very subjective me old mucker. If implemented ,perhaps we could have a dubious % panel?

There you go, having a dig and using % again. Back the post , very subjective me old mucker. If implemented ,perhaps we could have a dubious % panel?
    So you weren't having a dig at me personally rather than the substance of the post in your reply? Read it again very slowly, repeat this three times, then see if you can come up with something relevant to the topic. I won't hold my breath.

So you weren't having a dig at me personally rather than the substance of the post in your reply? Read it again very slowly, repeat this three times, then see if you can come up with something relevant to the topic. I won't hold my breath.
    I have read it carefully . I don't agree with your idea. I promise never to say it's a load of b0llox again if that makes you happier.

I have read it carefully . I don't agree with your idea. I promise never to say it's a load of b0llox again if that makes you happier.
    It wouldn't make me happier. I was just inviting discussion, if you think I'm talking bollox then please give your reasons by all means. It's just that talking of committees taking 10/15 minutes to decide was a really stupid response, as the change would be in the laws of the game but clearly still relying on the referee to make an instant decision.

Forget it's me who started the topic, imagine it's someone else, and see if you can come up with something worthwhile.

It wouldn't make me happier. I was just inviting discussion, if you think I'm talking bollox then please give your reasons by all means. It's just that talking of committees taking 10/15 minutes to decide was a really stupid response, as the change would be in the laws of the game but clearly still relying on the referee to make an instant decision.

Forget it's me who started the topic, imagine it's someone else, and see if you can come up with something worthwhile.
    Ok . You said the decision by the ref would be instant . How's that going to work if VAR takes an age . Like I said , it's also very subjective and one last point, it would simply over complicate things. Refs have enough on their plate.

ps. I would have thought it was a load of B whoever posted this idea , I'm not going lie though , the fact it was you ............. honesty is the best and all that policy.
    Last edited by navypie; 17-03-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Ok . You said the decision by the ref would be instant . How's that going to work if VAR takes an age .
    FFS are you being deliberately stupid? It would work in exactly the way it worked today. The ref makes a decision, blows his whistle and applies the laws of the game. VAR has absolutely nothing to do with it at all.

FFS are you being deliberately stupid? It would work in exactly the way it worked today. The ref makes a decision, blows his whistle and applies the laws of the game. VAR has absolutely nothing to do with it at all.
    Ok , I'm stupid ( deliberately ) , your idea has my full backing . I can't believe I thought it might be subjective, silly me . Anyway , time for all hands to turn in . I do hope your brilliant idea receives the support it deserves.

ps. I do hope you find someone else to argue with tonight , if not, I pitty your Mrs!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast