+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The penalty kick law

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The rules are a farce. Penalties are a pathetic way of encouraging more goals to be scored in the game, they should only be given if somebody has been clearly been hacked down before a clear scoring opportunity, not slight contact and certainly not ball to hand.
    If you pass back to the goalkeeper in the box and he picks it up then it's a free-kick inside the area, so not every offence in the box is an auto spot kick.

I really do think, with the introduction of VAR, that refs should no longer be allowed to awared them. The attacking team should have to make an appeal for a penalty for VAR to review and if it's a false claim then there should be strong punishments to make teams think twice about appealing. We need to reduce the amount of pens in the game. Score goals properly, beautiful goals, not these low-skill lotteries from 12 yards.
    Less pens, more proper goals please.
    So now we appeal for pens and wait for video decision? What if the ball doesnt go dead, how do we restart every single time they appeal? Worst idea I have ever heard. All that needs reviewing is the stupid handball interpretation.
    This unnantural oposition shizzle forcing defender to stand and block crosses with their hands behind their back etc, is, in iteslf, an unnatural position. It should not be considered a penalty when someone smashes the ball at you from a yard or two away.
    Penalty should be given
    1) Deliberate
    2) Gained advantage

Simply bouncing off a hand isnt hand ball.

and as for VAR, put it firmly in the bin, where it belongs. I dont want the game to turn into American Football where we chuck a flag, wait for the ball to go dead (could be minutes away) then check the video, and undo the last 5 mins of play for a penalty. What if the other team had just scored? Bag of crud.

Check the stupid handball rule and keep the rest as it is.
    Foul penalty
    Bad/Cynical foul foul penalty yellow card
    Goalscoring/Professional foul penalty and red card.

On an historical note the penalty kick was introduced in 1891, as a solution to reduce the number of deliberate fouls being committed to prevent a goal. Notts were directly involved in its introduction. The suggestion was initially turned down by the F.A. but following a high-profile incident during an F.A.Cup quarter final in which a Notts County defender prevented Stoke City from scoring an equaliser via a blatant goal-line handball, the penalty was incorporated into the Laws of the Game. Notts went on to reach the Final, where they lost to Blackburn Rovers.

The introduction of the penalty brought derision from amateur players, who detested the implication that any player would commit a deliberate or ‘professional’ foul. Great Corinthian C.B.Fry wrote, “It is a standing insult to sportsmen to play under a rule which assumes that players intend to trip, hack and push their opponents, and behave like cads of the most unscrupulous kidney.’

How times change!

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Great Corinthian C.B.Fry wrote, “It is a standing insult to sportsmen to play under a rule which assumes that players intend to trip, hack and push their opponents, and behave like cads of the most unscrupulous kidney.’
    "Cads of the most unscrupulous kidney" is a brilliant insult, though personally I'm more than happy to continue being called a 'Snobhead'.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    "Cads of the most unscrupulous kidney" is a brilliant insult, though personally I'm more than happy to continue being called a 'Snobhead'.
    I don't think you have much choice in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by iamITK View Post
    So now we appeal for pens and wait for video decision? What if the ball doesnt go dead, how do we restart every single time they appeal? Worst idea I have ever heard. All that needs reviewing is the stupid handball interpretation.
    This unnantural oposition shizzle forcing defender to stand and block crosses with their hands behind their back etc, is, in iteslf, an unnatural position. It should not be considered a penalty when someone smashes the ball at you from a yard or two away.
    Penalty should be given
    1) Deliberate
    2) Gained advantage

Simply bouncing off a hand isnt hand ball.

and as for VAR, put it firmly in the bin, where it belongs. I dont want the game to turn into American Football where we chuck a flag, wait for the ball to go dead (could be minutes away) then check the video, and undo the last 5 mins of play for a penalty. What if the other team had just scored? Bag of crud.

Check the stupid handball rule and keep the rest as it is.
    Foul penalty
    Bad/Cynical foul foul penalty yellow card
    Goalscoring/Professional foul penalty and red card.
    I'd rather not have VAR either, but if it's inevitable then it's silly that the ref should be the one to decide if there's a case for a penalty or not, only for it then to be handed over to the VAR.
    If the attacking team appeals, ref stops the game there and then and you re-start the game with the penalty. If it's not a penalty then he books a player for diving if necessary and the defending team re-starts the game with a free-kick anywhere on the half-way line, breaking up the momentum of the attacking team and putting them on the back-foot.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I'd rather not have VAR either, but if it's inevitable then it's silly that the ref should be the one to decide if there's a case for a penalty or not, only for it then to be handed over to the VAR.
    If the attacking team appeals, ref stops the game there and then and you re-start the game with the penalty. If it's not a penalty then he books a player for diving if necessary and the defending team re-starts the game with a free-kick anywhere on the half-way line, breaking up the momentum of the attacking team and putting them on the back-foot.
    So you stop the game every time there is a half decision or appeal.................Its gonna take hours to complete a match!
    Imagine the injury time, or is that too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I don't think you have much choice in the matter.
    True, but I take pride in the fact that I am the undisputed Snobhead Number 1. I would struggle to cope with anything less.

... get it right EP ... you are not just Snobhead, you are 'Snobhead 1'

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    True, but I take pride in the fact that I am the undisputed nob head Number 1. I would struggle to cope with anything less.
    sorted stupid idea BTW

Quote Originally Posted by iamITK View Post
    So you stop the game every time there is a half decision or appeal.................Its gonna take hours to complete a match!
    Imagine the injury time, or is that too soon?

How many times a game does a team appeal for a penalty?
    If they know that their attack will immediately break down and potentially have to retreat back to their own half, as well as possibly receiving a booking for diving, they're going to think twice before appealing.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast