+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The penalty kick law

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Arithmetic would have been much simpler if we humans had been born with twelve fingers and not ten. Ten is the root of all metric measurement and seems simple but it's drawback is that it is divisible by only the numbers 2 and 5, so unless the decimal point is used you cannot have 1/3, 1/4, 1/6 or 1/12 or multiples of these, however if we had twelve fingers we could. If we count from one to ten (on our twelve fingers) and then use the two numbers eleven and twelve, then to carry on counting, instead of thir****, four****, etc, we use something like onedoz (doz for dozen), twodoz, threedoz, etc.

It's too late for us now of course but in Mansfield they've been using for centuries.
    The system of counting in 12s was done, in ancient times, by using one hand, preferably your left as this frees up the right hand to reach for a knife or sword.....simply use the thumb to point to whichever part of your first finger you are referring, 1, 2 or 3.....next finger is 4, 5 and 6.....the lowest section of the little finger is 12...you start the next count with a "thumbs up" or 1 dozen on the same hand and continue...or mark off your "dozen" by holding out one finger on the other....eventually you got to 5 x 12s ie 60 which became the basis of minutes and seconds, 360 degrees in a circle and the original 360 days in a year.

60 is a slightly more superior number to work with than 100, because it can be broken down into 3s and 6s.....as pointed out 12 is a far superior number than 10 because of 3s, 4s and 6s......12 was also the number of lunar months in a year and a day was broken down into 12 "hours", 1 was dawn, 10 light and 1 dusk......the original 12 hours varied in length between summer and winter.

The top thumb knuckle joint ie number 1 became 1 inch on a male adult....the 4 bottom joints from index to little finger is 4 inches, or 1 "hand" for measuring horses.....12 inches or 3 hands became a foot.....3 feet a yard etc etc

Then the French came along and screwed everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    The system of counting in 12s was done, in ancient times, by using one hand, preferably your left as this frees up the right hand to reach for a knife or sword.....simply use the thumb to point to whichever part of your first finger you are referring, 1, 2 or 3.....next finger is 4, 5 and 6.....the lowest section of the little finger is 12...you start the next count with a "thumbs up" or 1 dozen on the same hand and continue...or mark off your "dozen" by holding out one finger on the other....eventually you got to 5 x 12s ie 60 which became the basis of minutes and seconds, 360 degrees in a circle and the original 360 days in a year.

60 is a slightly more superior number to work with than 100, because it can be broken down into 3s and 6s.....as pointed out 12 is a far superior number than 10 because of 3s, 4s and 6s......12 was also the number of lunar months in a year and a day was broken down into 12 "hours", 1 was dawn, 10 light and 1 dusk......the original 12 hours varied in length between summer and winter.

The top thumb knuckle joint ie number 1 became 1 inch on a male adult....the 4 bottom joints from index to little finger is 4 inches, or 1 "hand" for measuring horses.....12 inches or 3 hands became a foot.....3 feet a yard etc etc

Then the French came along and screwed everything up.
    Not a Francophile then tarkers .

I quite like the idea of making the punishment fit the crime, and I don't see much of a problem with subjectivity. As someone said, refs are making judgements like that all the time. The focus in this thread has been on yesterday's (accidental?) handball. What about when Fitzsimons had the ball in his arms and took a niggly hack at an opposition player when everyone was running back towards the halfway line? Nothing whatever to do with a goalscoring opportunity.

Another thought. The melee in the box before a corner is like a cross between a rugby scrum and a wrestling match, yet it's supposedly a foul to pull, push or barge an opposition player especially when the ball is not within reach. What would it be like if such fouls no longer resulted in a penalty? It's already a problem that refs only give penalties for such fouls once in a blue moon. Maybe there'd be a "grade 2" penalty almost every time a corner was taken?

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Not a Francophile then tarkers .
    Not really, Navy, in the old days it was simple when the Scouts had "bob a job" week....cut the grass, pull the weeds, wash the car etc, for 10 shillings.....4 scouts was 2s and 6d each, 3 scouts 3s and 4d each, 8 scouts 1s and thruppence, 12 scouts was 10d, and 6 scouts was 1s and 8d each....trying doing that now with a 50p piece...it does not work, there is always change left over and the scouts have to replant some of the weeds!!

....but in the rush to modernise and also help schoolkids learn "easier maths", we binned a fully~functioning system that had worked for centuries.

Then the cheeky Frogs tried to move the timezone from London to Paris....I blame the EU

ps....and personally, I think it made schoolkids more stupid, not smarter.....look at the state of MAD now that the younger generation are replacing us oldies....chaos, no standards and all of them using a calculator via their iphone thingamajiggy
    Last edited by tarquinbeech; 18-03-2018 at 04:03 PM.

ps....and personally, I think it made schoolkids more stupid, not smarter.....look at the state of MAD now that the younger generation are replacing us oldies....chaos, no standards and all of them using a calculator via their iphone thingamajiggy

As long as they don't ditch Alfred E Neuman, things'll work out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Not really, Navy, in the old days it was simple when the Scouts had "bob a job" week....cut the grass, pull the weeds, wash the car etc, for 10 shillings.....4 scouts was 2s and 6d each, 3 scouts 3s and 4d each, 8 scouts 1s and thruppence, 12 scouts was 10d, and 6 scouts was 1s and 8d each....trying doing that now with a 50p piece...it does not work, there is always change left over and the scouts have to replant some of the weeds!!

....but in the rush to modernise and also help schoolkids learn "easier maths", we binned a fully~functioning system that had worked for centuries.

Then the cheeky Frogs tried to move the timezone from London to Paris....I blame the EU

Thanks for that mate .Pretty clear to me you aren't a Francophile . We do know who is though , fatboy. He loves the French . especially their missiles .

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I think one of the great things about football is its simplicity. If you don’t deliberately handle the ball or foul someone in the area, you won’t give a penalty away.

People aren’t sure why there was 9 minutes of stoppage time yesterday but I’m still not sure what Alessandra was doing either.
    Trying to keep his feet in very slippery conditions ?

Thanks for that mate .Pretty clear to me you aren't a Francophile . We do know who is though , fatboy. He loves the French . especially their missiles .
    Chubby has not been on my case for a while....I think he has got his hands full fighting with you.....off to check the barbed~wire fences, then a few glasses of ale and some gardening.....make that several glasses

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    I quite like the idea of making the punishment fit the crime, and I don't see much of a problem with subjectivity. As someone said, refs are making judgements like that all the time. The focus in this thread has been on yesterday's (accidental?) handball. What about when Fitzsimons had the ball in his arms and took a niggly hack at an opposition player when everyone was running back towards the halfway line? Nothing whatever to do with a goalscoring opportunity.

Another thought. The melee in the box before a corner is like a cross between a rugby scrum and a wrestling match, yet it's supposedly a foul to pull, push or barge an opposition player especially when the ball is not within reach. What would it be like if such fouls no longer resulted in a penalty? It's already a problem that refs only give penalties for such fouls once in a blue moon. Maybe there'd be a "grade 2" penalty almost every time a corner was taken?
    Sorry 51, missed this . Great post.

Sorry 51, missed this . Great post.
    So what he says in his first paragraph broadly agrees with the point I was making in the original post, yet you describe his as a "great post" and mine as "a load of bollox". No personal bias there then!

You are the gift that keeps on giving.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast