+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - The Greatest Sporting Moments (Non-Football)

OT - The Greatest Sporting Moments (Non-Football)

Dr Sir Roger Bannister's death had me thinking of some the greatest sporting moments. Which are yours, or which you think are?

I wanted to put Ali v Foreman first but since it was Bannister, here's that moment in history. I've also posted the Miracle Mile between him and Landy in his Obituary thread.

Roger's moment from 1954. It's all the more surprising, that he actually was at work in the morning and then took a train to Oxford for the race.

The Rumble in the Jungle where the 31 year old Ali produced a master-class to knock out George Foreman who was considered the supreme k.o fighter of the era after he easily dispatched Joe Frazier and Ken Norton, both who had defeated Ali previously.
    It was a fight Foreman could have and should have won, all he needed was to score points enroute to a decision. Instead, Ali's taunts made him go for the jugular. Foreman said later, 'I hit him so hard, and he replied,' Is that all you got, George? I couldn't believe it!'

Ali remarked, I knew I had to wear him out and then land the killer blow. As George kept coming and coming, I realised, ' Man, he's tired and this is the wrong place to get tired. Trouble, Big Trouble.'

Tommy Hearns v Marvin Hagler. It's dubbed the greatest 8 minutes of boxing as the 2 fighters went for each other from the start,

Arguably the greatest middle distance runner of all time - Hicham El Gueroujj. He still holds the world record in the 1500m (3:26:00) and the mile. Twice in Atlanta (tripped) and Sydney, he was beaten for the gold. But in Athens, he held Bernard Lagat to finally land that elusive gold medal, he richly deserved. He also won the 5000m in Athens.
    Here's that awesome Athens final.

Winning the Pooh Sticks Final on a bridge over a local stream.

Quote Originally Posted by adlestropred View Post
    Difficult to argue against that one

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Dr Sir Roger Bannister's death had me thinking of some the greatest sporting moments. Which are yours, or which you think are?

I wanted to put Ali v Foreman first but since it was Bannister, here's that moment in history. I've also posted the Miracle Mile between him and Landy in his Obituary thread.

Roger's moment from 1954. It's all the more surprising, that he actually was at work in the morning and then took a train to Oxford for the race.
    This is the subject of the book I'm writing (at a snail's pace)

Here's one from the shortlist, so incredible even David 'One-Nil' Coleman could only think of one word to describe it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mVU72-bZ-Y

For me it has to be this

https://youtu.be/krwK2sEdQCM

Quote Originally Posted by adlestropred View Post

Nah, your flashing of tits in the park was world class.

I mentioned Bob Beamon in the previous thread. Going into the 1968 Olympics, the world long jump record was 27 feet 4 and 3/4 inches. The 28 foot "barrier" was looked at with the same reverence as the 4 minute mile had been. Beamon jumped an incredible 29 feet 2 1/2 inches, breaking two of those invisible and impossible/improbable barriers. he flew over the 28 feet mark and hit the ground over 29 feet. I remember watching it live, expecting the battle to be between Lynn Davies and Ralph Boston. That first jump from Beamon was never threatened. None of the other jumpers got near the old world record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEt_Xgg8dzc

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)