+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scharner speaks

Scharner speaks

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    Indeed interesting, and, also the ”truths” about Hodgson, who by many (here as well) is held in high regard.

I like a lot of what he says but he contradicts himself by going on about Pulis like he does then saying about our football “DNA” and then saying Hodgson was “the most negative manager” he’d ever played for.

Our “DNA” disappeared after 1983 for a quarter of a century until Mowbray discovered it again and it got lost again once he and RDM had their turn!

Irivine thought he’d rediscovered it only to find he’d actually mistakenly been working with DNA that Woking had left at our place in 1991.

A character like Scharner himself might well make a very good manager though.

Scharner only saying what nearly every poster on this board knows...several of us pointing out that doing the average only keeps the average down, losing a little more each year until the inevitable happens. About damaging the DNA and class of West Brom, again we all knew the selling of internationals and buying championship class players would eventually be detrimental to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I like a lot of what he says but he contradicts himself by going on about Pulis like he does then saying about our football “DNA” and then saying Hodgson was “the most negative manager” he’d ever played for.

Our “DNA” disappeared after 1983 for a quarter of a century until Mowbray discovered it again and it got lost again once he and RDM had their turn!

Irivine thought he’d rediscovered it only to find he’d actually mistakenly been working with DNA that Woking had left at our place in 1991.

A character like Scharner himself might well make a very good manager though.
    Massive like.

I grew up watching the likes of Chippy, Ossie, The King, Willie Johnston. No matter how bad we were these players would draw me like a moth to a flame. They were great players, they were characters and they were humble.
    It was worth the admission price to see these.
    Most clubs had these sort of guys, The Doog down the road, we gave him stick, he took it, but you couldn't hate him.
    Frank Worthington, fantastic player, hardly mentioned today.
    I struck up a conversation with Charlie Wright, the goalie during one game, another great character.
    These players made you want to come to the Hawthorns, it didn't matter if they played for you or not, they were crowd pleasers.
    Todays players are as dull as dishwater, rehearsed celebrations, no wingers, no players who make you go WOW.
    Not just us, look at Man United.

If we got someone who got us playing again the Albion way, if we had a couple of maverick players who did what they bloody well liked, as long as it was good, ..i would be back like a shot.
    My favourite player today and has been for 10 years is Chris Brunt, but he doesn't hold a candle to the above.
    The most gifted players of recent times were Koumas and Sneekes. Koumas was the best naturally gifted player i have seen since Cunningham.
    Sneekes was forced out of the club because he wouldn't conform to Megsons ways.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I grew up watching the likes of Chippy, Ossie, The King, Willie Johnston. No matter how bad we were these players would draw me like a moth to a flame. They were great players, they were characters and they were humble.
    It was worth the admission price to see these.
    Most clubs had these sort of guys, The Doog down the road, we gave him stick, he took it, but you couldn't hate him.
    Frank Worthington, fantastic player, hardly mentioned today.
    I struck up a conversation with Charlie Wright, the goalie during one game, another great character.
    These players made you want to come to the Hawthorns, it didn't matter if they played for you or not, they were crowd pleasers.
    Todays players are as dull as dishwater, rehearsed celebrations, no wingers, no players who make you go WOW.
    Not just us, look at Man United.

If we got someone who got us playing again the Albion way, if we had a couple of maverick players who did what they bloody well liked, as long as it was good, ..i would be back like a shot.
    My favourite player today and has been for 10 years is Chris Brunt, but he doesn't hold a candle to the above.
    The most gifted players of recent times were Koumas and Sneekes. Koumas was the best naturally gifted player i have seen since Cunningham.
    Sneekes was forced out of the club because he wouldn't conform to Megsons ways.
    Sneekes was a true top class player playing way below where he should’ve been playing,a pleasure to watch.

Koumas was a talented waste of space....a p I s s head and gambler who lived a mile from me,a very bad apple who allegedly was horrible to his missus from local accounts,total coward.

Gera was technically the best player of the last 35 years that we’ve had on our books.

Odemwingie was infuriating but a times magic.

We’ve actually never replaced Odemwingie if nobody’s noticed....no fast feet and magic in the box since him.

Berahino was badly managed by his agent and by JP who was intent on winning a ridiculous pi ss in g contest.....he was magic in that first 18 months.

For me though.....Willie will always be tops.

When you have a board that is tight with the cash Pulis was a good option because he knows how to get results with average players. Our DNA collapsed because to "keep up" you have to spend money. Its as simple as that. The club lacks ambition. The playing field was more level a few decades ago. Not any more. January 2017 was pivotal in our growth. We blew it. Its gone now. Back to the Championship for who knows how many years because the club wont spend the money. It shops at Aldi's and ebay and the pound shop. Clubs with ambition shop at Harrod's even if its one class expensive buy. If that philosophy of safety first, second, third and fourth are the only options it considers we will never get anywhere. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    When you have a board that is tight with the cash Pulis was a good option because he knows how to get results with average players. Our DNA collapsed because to "keep up" you have to spend money. Its as simple as that. The club lacks ambition. The playing field was more level a few decades ago. Not any more. January 2017 was pivotal in our growth. We blew it. Its gone now. Back to the Championship for who knows how many years because the club wont spend the money. It shops at Aldi's and ebay and the pound shop. Clubs with ambition shop at Harrod's even if its one class expensive buy. If that philosophy of safety first, second, third and fourth are the only options it considers we will never get anywhere. Ever.

100% agree with you! It was not in the DNA of Pulis that the club will have paid 4 million for a player that was always going to get another injury so a stupid gamble! Apart from Sturridge the " So Called Tainted DNA" could have been reversed by good quality signings in the January transfer window - it did not happen!

If the " Tainted DNA" is so bad, why does knob head Pardew still insist upon Rondon, Livermore, Barry and others over promising youngsters/new signings?

One thing is for sure, love him or hate him - it would not have been in Pulis's DNA for players to disrespect him or go on the piss at 6am in the morning and steal a taxi!

PS - it will not be in the DNA ( or fecking pocket ) of the Chinese runt to invest and spend money to get us out of the Championship at the first attempt - that's for sure

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)