+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lundstram,Leonard,Holmes.

Lundstram,Leonard,Holmes.

Tracked and chased for ages.
    Had they arrived pre season their contributions would IMO be have been immense.
    They didn't and aren't.

Felt so sorry for Holmes yesterday.
    Tried so hard but looked poor when in fact he is clearly a very good player.

We bought our long term targets way too late to enable them to integrate.
    That is the boards fault. No one elses.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbeanstattoo View Post
    Tracked and chased for ages.
    Had they arrived pre season their contributions would IMO be have been immense.
    They didn't and aren't.

Felt so sorry for Holmes yesterday.
    Tried so hard but looked poor when in fact he is clearly a very good player.

We bought our long term targets way too late to enable them to integrate.
    That is the boards fault. No one elses.
    you said FRESH LEGS WILL HAVE US PUSHING ON, i said they wouldnt becuse they wont be fresh legs playing in that rubbish league. so have you changed your mind,which you are allowed to by the way. i knew they wouldnt bring any freshness or anything to add beyond what we have already got. but your point on having them sooner i totally agree with,pre season with us will see them contribute a lot more. utb

was a horrible day to judge anybody in those conditions really so i will reserve judgement know sbt rates leonard very highly but i havent seen anything yet to suggest hes championship material but lets wait and see after pre season as for holmes i think with his age he will be used as an impact sub think he was just trying a bit too hard yesterday and looked clumsy lundstrum is gonna be a very good player but not quite experienced enough yet for a regular start

All three are competing at a level now that is stretching their capabilities.

Lundstram was settling in quite nicely after a dodgy start,but then came January and he cant get a game now,because of Evans.

Leonard played ok filling in for Basham,but thats all he looks like a "filler in",would he start ahead of Fleck Coutts Duffy,not at the mo.

Holmes he looks so rushed in his play when ever he comes on as sub,same applies to him as with Leonard,regarding Fleck Coutts Duffy.

If they were proven Championship quality they wouldn't be with us.
    We don't buy quality at the level we're at, we buy it from a division below and then hope that they're good enough to make the step up.

This is the case when we're in the Premier League as well.
    And it doesn't matter how much money is thrown at Premier Clubs we'd still do our shopping in the Championship and League One and hope it all works out well

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    If they were proven Championship quality they wouldn't be with us.
    We don't buy quality at the level we're at, we buy it from a division below and then hope that they're good enough to make the step up.

This is the case when we're in the Premier League as well.
    And it doesn't matter how much money is thrown at Premier Clubs we'd still do our shopping in the Championship and League One and hope it all works out well
    Buying at the level we are at, like our neighbours wasting their money across the city? - or buying at the level above, like only Villa can afford to, or buying from abroad, like Wolves have manoeuvred a way to under the table.............
    There is nothing wrong with buying these players, and if we allow them a bit of time to settle in, adapt, and hopefully raise their game - lets see how they do.
    Don't think its right to be so judgemental at this early stage in their Blades careers.

Its not a choice of one thing or other is it? I get the attraction of a few marquee players but I really get the whole concept of looking for gems who can step up, or using PL loan kids.

Forget for now the budget to buy them, the ball is firmly in CW's court. He has a philosophy based on all for one, one for all, no superstars thing. How does this fit with having four lads on twice or four times the money?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlo70 View Post
    you said FRESH LEGS WILL HAVE US PUSHING ON, i said they wouldnt becuse they wont be fresh legs playing in that rubbish league. so have you changed your mind,which you are allowed to by the way. i knew they wouldnt bring any freshness or anything to add beyond what we have already got. but your point on having them sooner i totally agree with,pre season with us will see them contribute a lot more. utb
    You're right. I did. I hoped they would. I think sadly they havent and wont for the reasons given in my OP.

Wilder wanted them over a long period of time so I just hope that as you say after a full pre season they are all he and we want mate.

That said theres a mini 8 match season ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with the OP, in fact I’ve said the same thing myself. It must be one hell of a job for a player to move his home and hit the ground running mid season when they’re also stepping up a division.

If we’d signed them pre-season it might well have been a different story for them, and if we’d recruited proven Championship level players in January, I think it would certainly have been better for the the team’s points total. It would have needed serious money though, there’s no point in bringing in dross even Championship dross, but we’re just not there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    Buying at the level we are at, like our neighbours wasting their money across the city? - or buying at the level above, like only Villa can afford to, or buying from abroad, like Wolves have manoeuvred a way to under the table.............
    There is nothing wrong with buying these players, and if we allow them a bit of time to settle in, adapt, and hopefully raise their game - lets see how they do.
    Don't think its right to be so judgemental at this early stage in their Blades careers.

I'm all for getting a few gems from the lower leagues, but when you have a team full of them you're asking for trouble because hard work and good attitude only gets you so far, and for so long.

If you buy quality players you will have a better team 99.99% of the time regardless of what's happened at Wendy.
    Skill, technique, ability, vision and fitness combined with a good attitude will beat a team of hard workers with limited skill, technique, ability, vision, fitness and a good attitude almost every time. That's why successful clubs are successful.
    It's only when the team with more natural ability has a bad attitude that the team of workhorses can get a result against them

If the club wants to move forward the boardroom have to speculate, that means keeping Brooks and adding more quality
    Last edited by JJBlade; 18-03-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast