+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super point

Quote Originally Posted by wellin View Post
    I always thought the best way to give your team a chance of winning was to put the ball in the net rather than trying to get the opposition down to ten men by blatantly cheating. maybe I'm to old school now.
    Indeed you are...the game has moved on and having rallied against cheating for ages I've now accepted it - the players and officials certainly do (it's worth noting how rarely pros have a go at other pros for diving, deliberate handball etc in the grand scheme of things. They know they'd do it themselves so just shrug it off) and fans of every team do too because they never complain when their own players dive. So rather than get wound up by cheats, I just enjoy the game as it is. I'm disappointed/frustrated of course when a referee gets fooled and costs us but I don't blame the opposition for doing their best to win. If Thomson had given a penalty for Main in the last minute, would anyone at Fir Park have turned it down because he fell like a bag of spuds? Of course not and we on here would have absolutely lapped it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I'm disappointed/frustrated of course when a referee gets fooled and costs us but I don't blame the opposition for doing their best to win.
    Yes the game has moved on but maybe not by as much as we think. The question is though, where do we draw the line? Is it acceptable to injure player so that he has to leave the field? What about deliberately trying to injure a player so that he is out for several games? Some "gentleman" managers were at it decades ago. Trying your best can take several forms. The most successful managers have 2 simple rules 1 Just do it and 2 Don't get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    Yes the game has moved on but maybe not by as much as we think. The question is though, where do we draw the line? Is it acceptable to injure player so that he has to leave the field? What about deliberately trying to injure a player so that he is out for several games? Some "gentleman" managers were at it decades ago. Trying your best can take several forms. The most successful managers have 2 simple rules 1 Just do it and 2 Don't get caught.
    I think very few professionals would wish to seriously injure anyone else. You get notable exceptions like Roy Keane but these stand out because they're so rare. Giving someone a wallop which stops them playing, however, has clearly been considered legitimate in the past and I don't think anyone can seriously complain about the attempts to eliminate the 'early reducer' from the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I think very few professionals would wish to seriously injure anyone else. You get notable exceptions like Roy Keane but these stand out because they're so rare. Giving someone a wallop which stops them playing, however, has clearly been considered legitimate in the past and I don't think anyone can seriously complain about the attempts to eliminate the 'early reducer' from the field.
    Amongst professionals there are a few at it and thats always been the case. Its an emotional game and feelings can boil over but yes by no means all bad tackles are intended to injure. However preplanned instructions to "do" players have always been part and parcel of the game. I very much doubt that in such cases emotion comes into that equation its more cold and calculating ruthlessness. Its a case "Player X has the potential to keep our rivals ahead of us in a title/relegation battle I want him taken out for 6 weeks."

I don't think you can put a length of time on how long someone will be out going into a challenge...I doubt the vast majority of players think beyond the 90 minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)