+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wage increase for Nick

Wage increase for Nick

Burnley are prepared to double Pope's salary from £15,000 to £30,000-a-week as a reward for his performances and a deterrent to Newcastle, who may be in need of a new goalkeeper come the end of the season.

According to The Sun, Burnley boss Sean Dyche has decided that Pope will remain as the club's number one and will be offered a new deal that will see his weekly wage boosted from £15,000 to £30,000, warding off potential interest from Newcastle United.

The newspaper says that Dyche will then think carefully about what to do with Heaton, with the possibility that he could be offloaded this summer.

I doubt that!

I cannot see Tom sitting on the bench game after game if Pope is Dyche's # 1, it would be nice but I don't see it happening, as for his wage rise he deserves being on around about the same level as the other first team squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    I cannot see Tom sitting on the bench game after game if Pope is Dyche's # 1, it would be nice but I don't see it happening, as for his wage rise he deserves being on around about the same level as the other first team squad.
    Good keeper but I don't think his distribution is as good,at the moment,as Heaton's

Great position to be in, having two England keepers playing for a place in our first team!

We cannot expect one of these excellent keepers to be nothing more than a bench warmer. Given Tom will be 32 next month and there will always be the worry that his shoulder might "go" again, I can see why SD would let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by warminsterclaret View Post
    We cannot expect one of these excellent keepers to be nothing more than a bench warmer. Given Tom will be 32 next month and there will always be the worry that his shoulder might "go" again, I can see why SD would let him go.
    You raise the question of his age.

Goalkeepers play on a lot longer than outfield players.

You could argue that Tom is nearing his prime at 32.

It would be a big mistake to offload.

Personally I think Tom is still number one.

Not much in it, I agree, but you have greater height and reach from Pope on the one hand and better distribution, a wiser head and possibly better positional play from Tom on the other.

There are four/five other players I would let go before Tom!

But of course its whether he will wait to get his position back that is the main issue.

But of course its whether he will wait to get his position back that is the main issue.

I guess Sean is waiting to see how Nick does for England as it sounds like Southgate plans to give him game time.

If we want to carry on improving in this league,we need to keep both keepers and pay the going rates to both of them,Popeye deserves his raise for the way he has performed this season ..UTC ... KTF

I think Tom is old enough and wise enough to know nothing ever remains the same...

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    If we want to carry on improving in this league,we need to keep both keepers and pay the going rates to both of them,Popeye deserves his raise for the way he has performed this season ..UTC ... KTF
    I'd love us to keep both, but ultimately one has to sit on the bench (unless we rotate, and I don't see that happening). They will both want, and deserve 1st team football, so whoever becomes 2nd choice will surely seek to leave in order to achieve that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)