+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sarfend away.....

Yes - six seasons at level 2, then two consecutive relegations

Then they later bounced back to level 2 after two consecutive promotions , but only for one season (2006/7)
    Last edited by mikemiller; 19-03-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Yes - six seasons at level 2, then two consecutive relegations
    Like us, a lot of money would have to be spent to last 6 years in the Champoinship these days. At least the risk of being beat up in the stadium has the same likelyhood.

Quote Originally Posted by sCORaFU View Post
    Chris Powell may get them fired up. But I think someone should show PW Powell's pre-season assessment of the Millers chances from his " Flat Cap" articles where he had us down for 18th and questioned whether PW was the man for the job. Mind you, many of our fans felt a similar way. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. UTM.
    Yes I remember Powell and a few more ' experts ' marking us down to finish below half-way.
    PW has done well considering he's only a ' fitness coach that runs round cones ', are we clear of relegation yet ?
    It may take another 1 or 2 transfer windows to improve the squad. ( incremental )

UP THE MILLERS.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Yes I remember Powell and a few more ' experts ' marking us down to finish below half-way.
    PW has done well considering he's only a ' fitness coach that runs round cones ', are we clear of relegation yet ?
    It may take another 1 or 2 transfer windows to improve the squad. ( incremental )

UP THE MILLERS.
    Yes, irrespective of where we are next season, you would think that the team should improve. So long as he sticks to his principles of young, enthusiastic with a team ethic and willing to learn the summer signings should be interesting. Personally, I think that IF we get promoted we may surprise some. You can't pick and choose when to get promoted and, if the opportunity arises, then I hope that we take it.

UTM

Agree

Yes, irrespective of where we are next season, you would think that the team should improve. So long as he sticks to his principles of young, enthusiastic with a team ethic and willing to learn the summer signings should be interesting. Personally, I think that IF we get promoted we may surprise some. You can't pick and choose when to get promoted and, if the opportunity arises, then I hope that we take it.

UTM
    Yes take the promotion if it's available and work from there.
    The alternative is to stay in League 1 with the possibility of stagnating, ask Blades fans how long it took them to get back to the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Yes take the promotion if it's available and work from there.
    The alternative is to stay in League 1 with the possibility of stagnating, ask Blades fans how long it took them to get back to the Championship.
    Yes, I remember 1976/7 season when we probably should have been promoted. Following season we were nearly relegated. It took us another 3 seasons after that before we made it to the second tier.

Yes, I remember 1976/7 season when we probably should have been promoted. Following season we were nearly relegated. It took us another 3 seasons after that before we made it to the second tier.
    I don't remember much about the 1976/77 season, which surprises me. 40+ years ago is usually easier to remember than last week these days. So I looked it up. 4th place - top 3 promoted (no play-offs) Missed out to Palace with a goal difference of 3 less than theirs.
    Mansfield champions (what!?) Wednesday 8th. Jimmy McGuigan manager

Remember the Jamal Campbell Crybaby saga
    Southend tried to offer peanuts for him when we had financial troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    I don't remember much about the 1976/77 season, which surprises me. 40+ years ago is usually easier to remember than last week these days. So I looked it up. 4th place - top 3 promoted (no play-offs) Missed out to Palace with a goal difference of 3 less than theirs.
    Mansfield champions (what!?) Wednesday 8th. Jimmy McGuigan manager
    Yes...and if we had not sold Seamus McDonagh halfway through the previous season (bad mistake by McGuigan) we would have almost certainly got up - never thought that McAllister was as good a keeper as McDonagh

1976/77 Alan Crawford 31 goals. I remember being at Port Vale last game leading 4-0 with 12 mins to go and we were looking good to get the remaining 2 goals we needed to overhaul Palace....then they scored. Finished 3rd. It was before the play offs so as said in a previous thread, we finished 20th the following season.

While I accept that you must take promotion if you get the chance I personally wouldn’t worry too much if we missed out (as long as we didn’t drop out of the play offs altogether) because we have exceeded my expectations, particularly considering the season we had last year.

My own opinion is that Shrewsbury must go up this year (as did Leyton Orient ) as I feel they are the one side in the mix who could drop away if they don’t get up. Just my view. I feel we (with our set up) are in a good place however it pans out this season so enjoy the ride.

It’s nice to be back to winning ways and Paul Richie and all staff + team deserve great credit for the turnaround. Everyone has bought into it. We are battling and refuse to be beaten ( yes I know we have been ) just the way it was 4 years ago.

Don’t get me wrong, it would be great if we went up, but it is quite possible that all three teams who came down could all go back up.

What does that tell you about the gap in quality between the leagues?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast