Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: English rugby- any fans out there. ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    832

    English rugby- any fans out there. ?

    Where has it all gone wrong ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Darkest Lancashire
    Posts
    32,081
    Only watch League Mal,Yawnion always puts me to sleep ..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11,593
    Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    Where has it all gone wrong ?
    Being outplayed and out thought at Murrayfield showed others how to beat them and the belief they could do it.

  4. #4
    Giving away far too many penalties and constantly losing it in the scrum. Simples!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6,676
    I'm not sure what's gone wrong, Eddie doesn't seem to know either. 12 months ago we could have put out our 2nd 15 and beaten most teams in the world quite comfortably, now we're being embarrassed by mediocre teams like Scotland and France, it was even a close run thing against Italy.

    It must be one of the biggest and most sudden falls from grace by a top team in any sport for some considerable time, and suddenly they look so bereft of ideas, who knows where the fall will end.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Darkest Lancashire
    Posts
    32,081
    Love it when the English Ra - Ra's get a beating.. Most boring Phookin game in the world ..Nearly as Phookin boring as reading all the political posts on here..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Love it when the English Ra - Ra's get a beating.. Most boring Phookin game in the world ..Nearly as Phookin boring as reading all the political posts on here..
    Sounds just about correct as to how I feel as well. I shall have to watch some of BT's paint drying ---he seems to think that that is exciting

  8. #8
    Widnes Vikings v Salford Red Devils up next...

    Name:  Paint dry.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  3.9 KB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6,676
    I love Union, a proper game, League is just a sideshow, big in Yaarkshire, Perpignan and The Lebanon I believe, which tells you all you need to know about it.

    But Union does have a problem, the scrum, it's a farce and a time consuming, boring farce at that. It desperately needs sorting.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I love Union, a proper game, League is just a sideshow, big in Yaarkshire, Perpignan and The Lebanon I believe, which tells you all you need to know about it.

    But Union does have a problem, the scrum, it's a farce and a time consuming, boring farce at that. It desperately needs sorting.
    There you have it in one --more or less. Scrums, rucks and mauls make up 95% of the game and all take up so much time. You then add the lineouts and you have a real boring farce in a proper(?) game. Each to his own, however, one is very much overhyped whilst the other is just happy to get on with entertaining its followers.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6,676
    I have tried with League Ss, I really have, Alfie will confirm that, but I just find it shallow and one-dimensional, but as you say each to his own.

    Anyway, here's a quiz question for you, the home of English RU is Twickenham, a modern 82,000 seat stadium, which sells out every game that's played there.

    Q. What is the League equivalent of Twickenham ?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I have tried with League Ss, I really have, Alfie will confirm that, but I just find it shallow and one-dimensional, but as you say each to his own.

    Anyway, here's a quiz question for you, the home of English RU is Twickenham, a modern 82,000 seat stadium, which sells out every game that's played there.

    Q. What is the League equivalent of Twickenham ?
    There isn't one because RL has no pretensions of grandeur and in any case I am not claiming that RL has anywhere near as big a following as Yawnion --after all, it was decried by those adhering to the Yawnion Code that is was a working man's game and they get paid you know! How times have changed!
    I have played in the band at Twickenham on many occasions and the hierarchy certainly consider themselves a class above, although they are more than happy for the peasants to pay their inflated prices to be bored to tears.

    I shall be at the Magic Weekend at St James Park in May and will see 7 matches of Super League for a grand total of 20.
    Newcastle Falcons are playing at St James Park against Northampton Saints and should I wish to go it would cost 35 as an OAP just to watch that one game.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Darkest Lancashire
    Posts
    32,081
    Don't forget Ashy that Sinkov is a "ragged @rsed right wing Tory" and would never admit to liking League ..I wouldn't be surprised if he lived in the Ribble Valley along with the rest of the Yawnions hurrah Henry's ..

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Don't forget Ashy that Sinkov is a "ragged @rsed right wing Tory" and would never admit to liking League ..I wouldn't be surprised if he lived in the Ribble Valley along with the rest of the Yawnions hurrah Henry's ..
    Lol! Spot on too Alf!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6,676
    Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Don't forget Ashy that Sinkov is a "ragged @rsed right wing Tory" and would never admit to liking League ..I wouldn't be surprised if he lived in the Ribble Valley along with the rest of the Yawnions hurrah Henry's ..
    Nearest rugby club to where I live is Keighley, and the last time I checked they were still playing that League game that bone-headed Yaarkshire numpties are so enamoured of.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6,676
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Lol! Spot on too Alf!
    Get back in your box you, you're supposed to be ignoring me.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6,676
    "There isn't one because RL has no pretensions of grandeur".

    Good try Ss, but in a nutshell the reason is simple.....it doesn't have a stadium like Twickers because no fecker watches it. It rivals tiddlywinks in importance.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    10,395
    If I wanted to see grown men grappling with each other I would pay a visit to Canal Street in Manchester.

    And what is that "ball" all about? Why is it not round? Surely it adds a lot of pure luck to the game...where it bounces etc.

    I have never liked the game since, as a spindly acne ridden youth, I was forced to play British Bulldog.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    "There isn't one because RL has no pretensions of grandeur".

    Good try Ss, but in a nutshell the reason is simple.....it doesn't have a stadium like Twickers because no fecker watches it. It rivals tiddlywinks in importance.
    There are enough watch it in the regions that it is played and the Magic Weekend, which involves fans travelling, will attract around 70000 for the 6 matches played.
    A recent check on the Premiership shows that they average around 11079 for their 6 matches on a weekend --not even enough to fill Twickenham, however, when it comes to international games everyone comes out of the woodwork. More than likely this is because it is a social event as much as a sports fixture and many people go just to be seen because,as well as that, it gives them the opportunity to catch up on some sleep.
    Never mind sinkov, you go watching the scrums, rucks, mauls, lineouts ad infinitum and alf and me will stick to a game that is always moving and giving value for money.
    Last edited by Supersub6; 22-03-2018 at 01:41 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Darkest Lancashire
    Posts
    32,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    There are enough watch it in the regions that it is played and the Magic Weekend, which involves fans travelling, will attract around 70000 for the 6 matches played.
    A recent check on the Premiership shows that they average around 11079 for their 6 matches on a weekend --not even enough to fill Twickenham, however, when it comes to international games everyone comes out of the woodwork. More than likely this is because it is a social event as much as a sports fixture and many people go just to be seen because,as well as that, it gives them the opportunity to catch up on some sleep.
    Never mind sinkov, you go watching the scrums, rucks, mauls, lineouts ad infinitum and alf and me will stick to a game that is always moving and giving value for money.
    You are wasting your time Ashy.. Whatever you say Sinky will find an argument..lol

    Anyway it's Widnes Salford tonight ,should be a close run encounter ..I will go for Salford by four points..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •