+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: English rugby- any fans out there. ?

I have tried with League Ss, I really have, Alfie will confirm that, but I just find it shallow and one-dimensional, but as you say each to his own.

Anyway, here's a quiz question for you, the home of English RU is Twickenham, a modern 82,000 seat stadium, which sells out every game that's played there.

Q. What is the League equivalent of Twickenham ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I have tried with League Ss, I really have, Alfie will confirm that, but I just find it shallow and one-dimensional, but as you say each to his own.

Anyway, here's a quiz question for you, the home of English RU is Twickenham, a modern 82,000 seat stadium, which sells out every game that's played there.

Q. What is the League equivalent of Twickenham ?
    There isn't one because RL has no pretensions of grandeur and in any case I am not claiming that RL has anywhere near as big a following as Yawnion --after all, it was decried by those adhering to the Yawnion Code that is was a working man's game and they get paid you know! How times have changed!
    I have played in the band at Twickenham on many occasions and the hierarchy certainly consider themselves a class above, although they are more than happy for the peasants to pay their inflated prices to be bored to tears.

I shall be at the Magic Weekend at St James Park in May and will see 7 matches of Super League for a grand total of £20.
    Newcastle Falcons are playing at St James Park against Northampton Saints and should I wish to go it would cost £35 as an OAP just to watch that one game.

Don't forget Ashy that Sinkov is a "ragged @rsed right wing Tory" and would never admit to liking League ..I wouldn't be surprised if he lived in the Ribble Valley along with the rest of the Yawnions hurrah Henry's ..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Don't forget Ashy that Sinkov is a "ragged @rsed right wing Tory" and would never admit to liking League ..I wouldn't be surprised if he lived in the Ribble Valley along with the rest of the Yawnions hurrah Henry's ..
    Lol! Spot on too Alf!

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Nearest rugby club to where I live is Keighley, and the last time I checked they were still playing that League game that bone-headed Yaarkshire numpties are so enamoured of.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Lol! Spot on too Alf!
    Get back in your box you, you're supposed to be ignoring me.

"There isn't one because RL has no pretensions of grandeur".

Good try Ss, but in a nutshell the reason is simple.....it doesn't have a stadium like Twickers because no fecker watches it. It rivals tiddlywinks in importance.

If I wanted to see grown men grappling with each other I would pay a visit to Canal Street in Manchester.

And what is that "ball" all about? Why is it not round? Surely it adds a lot of pure luck to the game...where it bounces etc.

I have never liked the game since, as a spindly acne ridden youth, I was forced to play British Bulldog.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    "There isn't one because RL has no pretensions of grandeur".

Good try Ss, but in a nutshell the reason is simple.....it doesn't have a stadium like Twickers because no fecker watches it. It rivals tiddlywinks in importance.
    There are enough watch it in the regions that it is played and the Magic Weekend, which involves fans travelling, will attract around 70000 for the 6 matches played.
    A recent check on the Premiership shows that they average around 11079 for their 6 matches on a weekend --not even enough to fill Twickenham, however, when it comes to international games everyone comes out of the woodwork. More than likely this is because it is a social event as much as a sports fixture and many people go just to be seen because,as well as that, it gives them the opportunity to catch up on some sleep.
    Never mind sinkov, you go watching the scrums, rucks, mauls, lineouts ad infinitum and alf and me will stick to a game that is always moving and giving value for money.
    Last edited by Supersub6; 22-03-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    There are enough watch it in the regions that it is played and the Magic Weekend, which involves fans travelling, will attract around 70000 for the 6 matches played.
    A recent check on the Premiership shows that they average around 11079 for their 6 matches on a weekend --not even enough to fill Twickenham, however, when it comes to international games everyone comes out of the woodwork. More than likely this is because it is a social event as much as a sports fixture and many people go just to be seen because,as well as that, it gives them the opportunity to catch up on some sleep.
    Never mind sinkov, you go watching the scrums, rucks, mauls, lineouts ad infinitum and alf and me will stick to a game that is always moving and giving value for money.
    You are wasting your time Ashy.. Whatever you say Sinky will find an argument..lol

Anyway it's Widnes Salford tonight ,should be a close run encounter ..I will go for Salford by four points..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)