+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: English rugby- any fans out there. ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Good to see both codes getting on with each other in the sarf. Pity it can't happen up here where anyone posting about Union is immediately attacked, denigrated and abused by bitter, twisted and jealous supporters of that minority sport.

Shame on you League fans.
    No shame --we just tell it the way it is because it is we who have been denigrated for years by those officianados of Yawnion who always regarded us as peasants who had the audacity to watch players who were paid for playing rugby which, as far as Yawnion supporters are concerned, is an amateur game. Strange how the RFU has so much money these days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I still can't get a honest answer to a honest question! Ah well, back to watching the paint dry...
    The honest answer is that it is as stipulated in the Laws of Rugby League.

Why do we have a penalty area in football? It serves no useful purpose, particularly when we think of Burnley when it is only applicable when they are defending.
    Why do they have a six yard box? Why do they allow a goal kick to be taken anywhere within the six yard box whilst a corner must be taken on the side on which the ball went out.
    What is the point of offside?
    Why do they allow throw ins when, apart from the goalkeeper in his own area, every player can be penalised for handling the ball? Why do they not just have a tap in delivered by the foot?
    Why do they penalise fair tackles and, in some cases, issue a caution to the player committing the fair tackle?
    Why do they mark a quadrant in the corner of the playing area when it is largely ignored by players ---except if there is an official standing right over them?
    Why does the opposition kick off after a goal is scored? In both codes of rugby it usually results in the scoring side getting possession once again ----so why not let the team who scored a goal retain possession in football?

I know the answer ---which is very similar to the one I have given for Rugby League. Isn't it strange how we can accept so many anomalies within football but are unable to accept a very simple, basic rule of a sport which we don't like.

I had to find out the answer. It's not six passes, it's six tackles!

Six tackle rule[edit]
    Since 1972, an attacking team has a set of six 'chances' to score, often referred to as 'six tackles'. The referee keeps track of how many tackles have been performed in each set of six. Some referees choose to shout the number of tackles (to avoid any players' confusion as to what point in the tackle count it is); however, this is not a requirement. When a side has used five tackles, the referee signals "fifth tackle" by raising an arm above his head with fingers spread, indicating that five of the tackles in the set have taken place and the next tackle will be the last.
    If a sixth tackle is made, a change-over takes place. The defending and attacking teams switch roles, and the new attacking team starts its own set of six by playing the ball at the point on the field where the last tackle was made. Usually the attacking team kicks the ball onwards after the fifth tackle in either a last-ditch attempt to score, or to force the opposition to start their next set of six tackles as far back as possible.
    An attacking team may also have seven chances to score in a special circumstance, governed by the zero tackle rule.

Still bobbins but at least I now know!

As I said, it is the Laws of Rugby League ---I didn't enlighten you about tackles rather than passes because I liked your football scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    No shame --we just tell it the way it is because it is we who have been denigrated for years by those officianados of Yawnion who always regarded us as peasants who had the audacity to watch players who were paid for playing rugby which, as far as Yawnion supporters are concerned, is an amateur game. Strange how the RFU has so much money these days.
    Bloody hell Ss, it was a bit tongue in cheek when I said RL fans were bitter, twisted and jealous, no need to try to prove me right.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Bloody hell Ss, it was a bit tongue in cheek when I said RL fans were bitter, twisted and jealous, no need to try to prove me right.
    LOL. The day I get bitter and twisted about anything will be a day to mark in your diary, sinkov.
    My statement does ring true though because there really used to be some horrible things said about RL players and I used to play RU and heard them said

They're just two different codes of the same game imo Ss, and I just like a bit of banter, I've no down on League or it's fans, but as I've said I have tried it and it's not for me. Strange thing is, although I much prefer Union, I don't watch much of that either, just the England games and one or two other internationals, so as you can imagine I'm a bit grumpy where rugby is concerned at the moment, I've got used to England winning, I'm like a child who's had his sweets taken off him.

I like banter too and shouldn't be taken serious about anything --I have a very black humour which was needed in the RAF!!
    I share your pain about England because, even though I rarely watch RU these days, I am still very patriotic as far as our national teams go --no matter what sport! Unfortunately, the southern hemisphere does excel when it comes to the oval ball!
    Keep up the good work ---particularly the political baiting!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    I like banter too and shouldn't be taken serious about anything -
    Keep up the good work ---particularly the political baiting!
    That shouldn't be taken too seriously either, some of my best friends, and indeed some of my family, are/were lefties.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)