+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heckingbottom- decent bloke but coaching maestro?

Heckingbottom- decent bloke but coaching maestro?

Leeds fan but I come in peace.

I really like how PH speaks and he seems a genuinely nice bloke who is probably good value down the pub but ....

I have this nagging feeling that he can’t translate his ‘vision’ onto results on the pitch. Interested in thoughts from you as to;

does he really have a developed style of play (not clear at Leeds)
    do you think he is a decent manager
    if not, does he realistically have the talent to nature and develop (like Eddie Howe)

if he keeps going the way he is with us then not sure he will be with us next season which would be a shame for him but not so sure it would for us.

Sorry to trouble you but any thoughts welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post

I really like how PH speaks and he seems a genuinely nice bloke who is probably good value down the pub but ....

I have this nagging feeling that he can’t translate his ‘vision’ onto results on the pitch. Interested in thoughts from you as to;

if not, does he realistically have the talent to nature and develop (like Eddie Howe)

if he keeps going the way he is with us then not sure he will be with us next season which would be a shame for him but not so sure it would for us.

I’ll probably be accused of treason by the Masses, but I’ll give you my two pennorth while they are all asleep.
    He talks great. I’ll admit.
    PH Delivered for us on the back of a horse that was already charging.
    Your Donkey is just slightly in front of ours, and he has seen that there’s a better chance of a big pay day on your donkey than ours..
    He’s seen a big earner, going to ride it once..... and then jump off onto the Media circus horse!
    Can’t fault him, but think that he’s like the emperors clothes.
    I thank him for the great promotion and first months of our return to the championship, but think that even if the so called “Stars”had remained...... he would not have been the man to steer us away from what we face now.
    He left us with some very good players, who I believe are more than capable of playing as a team in this league, but he has done the damage by his poor tactics, poor man management, poor substitutions, and his constant hiding behind reminders that “I haven’t picked these lads”
    As his tenure went on, the fans who knew, the non-sycophants saw him for what he is.

We are well shut of him, Ego gone, we were going nowhere under him. If he manages again any higher than your club, I’ll be shocked!
    He did a great job, and the guys/fans/players, owners behind him were too loyal, too sentimental and didnt build on
    that job as they should have by moving him on and getting a proven manager at this level.
    They stayed loyal when he was delivering cr@p.
    PH waited for a good opportunity as soon as our patient owner had departed, he couldn’t wait for the chance to go , yet felt that he couldnt go whilst PC was alive as it would be admitting he hadn’t the skill to repay him for his loyalty.
    As soon as PC went, he went. First opportunity....

It was all about PH

As for Leeds, neither love nor hate them...... yet you wouldn’t believe me if I said either way....... “Heard that before ?”
    Last edited by Jules88; 19-03-2018 at 01:19 AM.

Coaching maestro, nope !

There’s not many of them about.

Head Coaches are over thought of , if the players are good then most of the fans sat in the stadium watching the match could pick the same team and make the same substitutions. He tinkers with the line up too much and for all he’s supposed to be good with bringing young players through I can’t think of one of ours that he brought through to the first team and gave much of a chance even when he had a free half a season when we were safe .

He’s a decent bloke but no coaching maestro. We had a side that just clicked and once the key player left Hourihane it crumbled along with Hecky

i have quite a few leeds fans as friends and the most of them say he will be gone in the next 3 to 4 games.

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    Coaching maestro, nope !

There’s not many of them about.

Head Coaches are over thought of , if the players are good then most of the fans sat in the stadium watching the match could pick the same team and make the same substitutions. He tinkers with the line up too much and for all he’s supposed to be good with bringing young players through I can’t think of one of ours that he brought through to the first team and gave much of a chance even when he had a free half a season when we were safe .

He’s a decent bloke but no coaching maestro. We had a side that just clicked and once the key player left Hourihane it crumbled along with Hecky

I agree ESR but do you think that may be as much an indictment of our Academy as Hecky

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post

Ever thought with the amount of coaches your club have gone through these last few years the problem may lie internally .

Even Warnock didn't do anything and that says something to be honest mate .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Ever thought with the amount of coaches your club have gone through these last few years the problem may lie internally .

Even Warnock didn't do anything and that says something to be honest mate .
    Leeds have tried changing owners, CEOs, Head coaches coaching staff etc
    Nowt left to change internally
    I reckon Leeds no longer have the ability to hold on to thir best players & it's been going on for ages
    Wood, Bartley,Byrom,Snodgrass,Howson, etc
    The list goes on & makes our losses look tiny
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 19-03-2018 at 08:36 AM.

I actually think he is a decent coach but question if he is a leader.
    To clarify, I think he has man management skills so is able to translate others direction and vision but lacks the ability to create his own.
    Loads over years like this, look at all good coaches at Man U that went onto nothing, you could even add Peter Taylor into that from Cloughie, he never really achieved much on his own, but was often cited as the secret ingredient.

When coaches set - off their careers with blistering results and a cracking win ratio. They want to try and preserve it. Hecky was no different. He just panicked after a defeat and went ultra negative to stop the rot. The problem was those negative tactics stifled him as well as the team. So much so that he forgot how to win. Thankfully a trait he's taken to Leeds. Long may that continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    I agree ESR but do you think that may be as much an indictment of our Academy as Hecky
    Probably yes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast