+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Talk about a quality young team

Talk about a quality young team

Robinson Mills harte woodgate ferdinand bowyer bakke mcphail kewell Smith bridges

All born between 77 and 80, does anyone know if this 11 actually started a match together for Leeds, Robbie Keane was also born in 80 so that's another who could have been part of that 11.

Just so rare to have a lineup that good and so young at the time, and all aged within 3 years of each other

I don't think there's a team like that now in any of the top divisions

Not sure Clive, the two who may not have played with the rest might be Bakke and Mcphail - pretty certain the others played together in the same team.

interesting post Clive

Quote Originally Posted by CLIVETHELEEDSFAN View Post
    Robinson Mills harte woodgate ferdinand bowyer bakke mcphail kewell Smith bridges

All born between 77 and 80, does anyone know if this 11 actually started a match together for Leeds, Robbie Keane was also born in 80 so that's another who could have been part of that 11.

Just so rare to have a lineup that good and so young at the time, and all aged within 3 years of each other

I don't think there's a team like that now in any of the top divisions
    We were the last (mostly) home grown team that ever challenged for honours, which is why a lot of people around the country had us as their second team for that period. I found it a bit odd that Leeds were liked all of a sudden, but that all changed with the Bowyer/Woodgate court case.

I still think that was the start of everything that's happened since - without it I think we'd have won something in those years and gone onwards and upwards.

This thread came about coz I've been watching some of the games around the late 90s and early 2000s and it just hit home how young the squad really was back then

Clive you got me thinking about my favourite players around that sort of time and two memories came to mind, both a little bit before that but ..

Selhurst Park with Batty sat in the middle with Bowyer, Matt Jones and I think Mcphail around him and at times he was just pointing where they should run to.

Tony Yeboah, not sure I have ever seen anyone hit the ball so sweetly in the flesh and with so little back lift - imagine Yeboah in this side.

Imagine yeboah in any leeds side, never out of place!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)