+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barton's Autobiography

Barton's Autobiography

I would not have bought it but got it for Xmas 2016 I think.
    A very interesting read about his cousin murdering a black lad and also about his own troubles and time in prison.
    His version of the cigar in the eye was never in the press.The whole squad had been drinking all day and were horsing about,the lad went behind Barton and set fire to his shirt,Barton picked up a cigar from an ash tray and went to get him from behind but the lad turned around and it burned his lower lid,the squad asked him to keep it quiet but he reported it to the manager and then went to the press.

When Milner was sold to Villa Barton was told Portsmouth had agreed a fee with the Toon for him and he met their Assistant Manager Tony Adams in London.He heard that Pompies finances were built on sand so come back to the Toon and asked his mate Terry Mac if Keegan knew about it,Keegan rang him and said he knew nothing about it.

The next day in training he mentioned it to the lads and was told by Alan Smith and Michael Owen that the cockney mafia had tried to sell them as well.All this led to Keegan leaving not just because they didn't bring in the 4 players promised.

I know some on here can't stand him but I can't help liking him.

He's an interesting character and it seems to me that he tries hard to battle his demons. As a player for us he was excellent, imo, and he's always a fascinating listen.

I read it last year on holiday and really enjoyed it.

I'm no fan of his, but his colourful life made for an interesting read.

I'm off to St Ives in Cornwall with the wife in two weeks time.

I bought a book, "Inside the Rafalution", obviously about RB, from the Back Page and I'm champing at the bit to read it.

Holding back for when her and me stop speaking so I can get the book out.😀

Quote Originally Posted by stanleymag View Post

holding back for when her and me stop speaking so i can get the book out.��
    -is this inevitable, Stan?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    -is this inevitable, Stan?
    Nailed on certainty Zip.

We get there on the Friday, I'm pretty sure I'll be reading my new book in the snooker club by Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I know some on here can't stand him but I can't help liking him.

He's an interesting character and it seems to me that he tries hard to battle his demons. As a player for us he was excellent, imo, and he's always a fascinating listen.
    I felt this way for a long time and held him in high regard once he started performing in a NUFC shirt and it was clear that he loved/still loves the fans.

However, on the other hand, he seems to be a know-it-all to me now and it seems to me that every bad deed he's ever done can be excused or explained away somehow if you listen to him now. Maybe it's cause I haven't read his book.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    I felt this way for a long time and held him in high regard once he started performing in a NUFC shirt and it was clear that he loved/still loves the fans.

However, on the other hand, he seems to be a know-it-all to me now and it seems to me that every bad deed he's ever done can be excused or explained away somehow if you listen to him now. Maybe it's cause I haven't read his book.
    He did make excuses for his behaviour but his demons come to the fore when he was drinking,goaded by a young gang outside a kebab shop in the early hours he give a lad a good pasting and ended up in jail.This happens in every city and town at weekends but he was a well known pro footballer and could afford to take a taxi home and send out for a take away,bad choices in drink got him in trouble.

I read his book a while ago.

I enjoyed his book but it did also feel very much a "poor me, it's not my fault really" story.

It was a good read though.

I like Joey Barton.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)