+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Pope journey

The Pope journey

Some of you probably know all of this--but I didn't and this is for all those like me that didn't.

It's about showing what kind of person you really are when it seems like an impossible dream.

Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope says an England call-up seemed a "far off possibility" when he was starting a milk round at 4am after being released by Ipswich Town as a ****ager.
    Pope, 25, is in the England squad for their forthcoming friendlies with Italy and the Netherlands after an impressive debut Premier League season.
    But he was let go by Ipswich aged 16, and had to take part-time work while playing for non-league clubs.
    "It's been a hard ride," he said.
    "I had a couple of jobs. I worked in Next and on a milk round. I was on an electric float, a 4am-er in Soham. It didn't pay much."
    Pope joined non-league Bury Town after leaving Ipswich, and even after joining Charlton Athletic in 2011 had spells outside the Football League at Harrow Borough, Welling United and Aldershot Town.
    "I've played in some cold, dark leagues," he said. "I was in Bury Town reserves in the Es*** and Suffolk Border League. I think that was tier seven.
    "Brightlingsea was a rough one... I hope the people of Brightlingsea don't mind! Little Oakley - some places you need a map. [It was] 10 people and a dog.
    "You have to prove yourself at every level to get to the next one."
    Pope joined Burnley from Charlton in 2016 but only made his Premier League debut in September when the Clarets' first-choice goalkeeper Tom Heaton was injured.
    "I feel like I've put in some hard yards and proven myself at those levels. I don't think it's a fluke to get called up to the England squad.
    "It's obviously a day I never thought I'd see come and, now it has, it's massive elation for me and everyone close to me."

The media just love a proper Roy of the Rovers or Tough of the Track story don't they?

Once Billy Mercer sorts out Pope's kicking, Nick could well be one of the world's best keepers.

Where does SD buy his stardust from..?

He’s certainly making headlines with
    Non league to the top
    Distant dreams
    Everyman for himself.
    Ready for the Heaton Challenge
    Milk round to cream of the crop
    Gold top to

One story he hasn’t told for obvious reasons is the 2002 Soham murders. Jessica and Holly were born in 1991 and he was born in 1993 so must have been at the same school and known those involved.

That’s a bit like Andy Murray and Dunblane.

Where does SD buy his stardust from..?

He has a block chain that makes it!

Mirror say Nick was in the same class as Jessica and Holly at Soham

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...e-was-12247994

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)