+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Facebook: are its days numbered?

OT: Facebook: are its days numbered?

So it wasn't only the Russians who helped Trump win the election but Facebook and Cambridge Analytica too. No wonder the rest of us didn't stand a chance.
    Facebook now in serious trouble. Zuckerberg running and hiding when he should be facing the music. But then this is a man who calls his customers 'dumb f*cks'.
    Facebook can do anything in the world if it pleases an advertiser but isn't prepared to invest in the security of its customers. Facebook is standing proof of the axiom that 'if you get something for nothing then that means YOU are the product'.
    People need to think carefully about pulling out of Facebook asap. Maybe the security of organisations like NCFC is less threatened.

A lot of folk I know have long given up on Facebook and prefer WhatsApp to keep in touch. Unfortunately that only means handing control from Zuckerberg to the Chocolate Factory, though at least Google don't impose advertising.

Even though a very light user of Facebook I have downloaded all the data they say they hold about me and even then there is more than I'm comfortable with. Now, if I delete it will it really be deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    A lot of folk I know have long given up on Facebook and prefer WhatsApp to keep in touch. Unfortunately that only means handing control from Zuckerberg to the Chocolate Factory, though at least Google don't impose advertising.

Even though a very light user of Facebook I have downloaded all the data they say they hold about me and even then there is more than I'm comfortable with. Now, if I delete it will it really be deleted?
    Facebook own WhatsApp.

I agree though Sid, Facebook going tits up would be no bad thing at all.

If Facebook goes down how would I know what people are having for breakfast and see these so called "friends" having a wonderful time ???!!!

I guess the internet has good and bad points overall I use FB mainly to get the latest information on music gigs / sport nothing else.

I don't feel the need to post pictures of myself everyday looking a total berk !!

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    If Facebook goes down how would I know what people are having for breakfast and see these so called "friends" having a wonderful time ???!!!

I guess the internet has good and bad points overall I use FB mainly to get the latest information on music gigs / sport nothing else.

I don't feel the need to post pictures of myself everyday looking a total berk !!
    Some people use Twitter to do that now

it's all very incestuous isn't it? Facebook, WhatsApp et alia.

Interesting the co-founder of WhatsApp is suggesting users should delete Facebook:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/1...ebook-whatsapp

He may have ulterior motives but he joins others in their disquiet:

Acton is not the first former Facebook executive to express unease about the company after leaving it. Last year, former head of growth Chamath Palihapitiya caused a firestorm after saying “we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works.” Other former executives to express regrets include Sean Parker, Justin Rosenstein, and investor Roger McNamee.

I'm proud to say that I've never read a single facebook screen. I avoided it like the plague ever since I first heard about it. It just wasn't for me.
    I hope the 'delete facebook' drive goes far. Obviously it's grown into a monster that does far more harm and good. It'd be healthier if the social media market diversified, became less addictive and stopped trying to control us all

A number of my nephews and nieces here in the UK and Italy have ditched Facebook because we oldies have gone on it.

If Facebook goes t@ts up then Jeremy Kyle will have no more people to exploit

Telegram is this latest messenger to use, brilliant

This is the only social media-type platform I use, because people are talking about something that interests me (Notts County, football generally and a side order of politics and world news).

I've never bothered with Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Instagram and whatever other options are out there. Primarily this is because I'm rarely all that interested in what anyone else is doing or where they are, nor do I expect them to be interested in what I'm doing or where I am!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast