+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Shout Out For Lowery

Shout Out For Lowery

Okay I will throw the bait. Some great performances last night, but was really impressed by him after having a week or two out. Oh and by the way MikeSB, cold what cold, it't amazing what three goals and a win does to you.

+1 to some credit for Lowery. Industrious as ever, and used the ball well at times.

Bowery was my MOTM, though. I've not been his biggest fan, but he showed up last night. Great work rate, an ever-willing runner. Got the goal we'd deserved approaching half-time. Very impressed with his second; when the chance fell to him to wrap up the points I didn't have much confidence, but he pinged it in off the post like a natural goalscorer.

Everyone played pretty well apart from McKirdy. Kirk's overall play was a bit below par, but he put his chance away well enough. Ray's distribution was patchy, but he made some good clearances and booming headers away. I'm liking Green more and more. Yes, he is liable to give the ball away in our own half on rare occasions (as was punished on Saturday), but that's the lot of the defensive midfielder charged with setting up the play from deep. He reads the game well, and was vocal in organising our shape and trying to stop the team from staying too deep.

Anyway, 3 valuable points. Not sure we'll need 50 points to stay up this year. 4 points from Barnet and Vale over Easter would put us within touching distance of safety I should think.
    Last edited by Welsh_Cup_1937; 21-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Have to agree that Lowery is certainly turning out to be a useful payer. He needs to be able to last games as he does tend fade in the last 20 minutes. I am amazed how he is not injured all the time seeing as he seems to be a target for the cloggers when he plays. 3 times last night he was 'taken out' (interestingly, no yellow cards for them!!!).
    I also agree that Bowery is growing in stature and confidence all the time-still not winning many headers but won one crucial one for his goal.
    I've also been saying that I like Green. His reading of the game is tremendous and he is quite precise with his tackles and interceptions usually followed by driving out of the box. I think he would be a great acquisition for us for next season.

Great to see two of our most criticised players on this message board getting some well deserved praise. Lowery was his usual busy self and Bowery, as everyone has said, outstanding.

A shout out too for Harry Pickering. As Big Dave has said, he’s played all over the shop this season and hasn’t looked out of place anywhere. Two assists in the last 3 games and a rocket which the left Post is still recovering from are testaments to his growing confidence. It’s now not a question of finding a place in the team for him, but finding his best position and getting the best from a 19 year old who has already shown his loyalty to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh_Cup_1937 View Post
    +1 to some credit for Lowery. Industrious as ever, and used the ball well at times.

I'm so glad it's not just me who sees something in TL (clearly Dave does).
    If you watch him, he rarely gives the ball away, which considering our ethos at academy level, must be one of the key attributes our youngsters are taught.

He needs to improve, of course he does, if he wants to get to a level where he becomes a permanent fixture in our lineup, where he becomes un-droppable, but he has a good base.

Accusations leveled at him previously include running around like a headless chicken. Well, you watch a team that successfully employs the high press and you could argue they all do it. Unfortunately in our case, not enough do.

Rock on Tommy!
    Add some goals to your game (because I doubt you will grow much more now! ) and you will be a real gem!

It was interesting to read his ‘likes and dislikes’ in last week’s programme as well. If memory serves, when asked for his worst performance he quoted the match where he ‘gave the ball away too often’. Self aware as well as promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh_Cup_1937 View Post
    Anyway, 3 valuable points. Not sure we'll need 50 points to stay up this year. 4 points from Barnet and Vale over Easter would put us within touching distance of safety I should think.
    No-one's ever needed 50 points since 2 down from league 2 was introduced. More than 45 has always been enough - so far - it's 3 and 4 down leagues that require 50. That said, hope we get more than 50 now, and I do agree about Lowery. Not every game's right for him (Newport ..) but he continues to get better.