+ Visit Queen of the South FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Are the dumfries really interested

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rockliffe,Dumfries and Galloway.
    Posts
    3,565

    Are the dumfries really interested

    The attendance at Queens v Livi on Saturday will reflect if the People of Dumfries and Galloway really want to support a senior football team.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    The attendance at Queens v Livi on Saturday will reflect if the People of Dumfries and Galloway really want to support a senior football team.


    admin it really does come down to prices ,apart from our regular support who are all but blinkered into thinking we have good pricing here 5 quid would be too much for a none diehard ,the general public of dumfries that arnt die hard supporters cant justify paying 16 quid plus there travel expenses ,food and drink and whatever else cost when coming to palmy its plain and simple .oh and 8 out of 10 performances are piss poor to watch ,after our win against dundee utd last night we will see the told you so and humble pie brigade emerging ,who get the chance to emerge every 7 or 8 games lol ,what we need is a consistent team churning out good performances week in week out ,will get some back .
    Last edited by Francis_begbie_HFC; 21-03-2018 at 09:39 AM.

  3. #3
    Agree that the good performances would bring more back, our tactics are at best boring. Look at the abuse the special one is getting at Man Utd, semi-final of the cup , second in the league but the fans are not happy as they are one of the most boring teams to watch.
    We need excitement not five across the middle .

  4. #4
    No the Dumfries public arenít interested in supporting a full time team.
    Crowd on Saturday will stumble over a thousand.
    Would love to be proved wrong.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rockliffe,Dumfries and Galloway.
    Posts
    3,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    admin it really does come down to prices ,apart from our regular support who are all but blinkered into thinking we have good pricing here 5 quid would be too much for a none diehard ,the general public of dumfries that arnt die hard supporters cant justify paying 16 quid plus there travel expenses ,food and drink and whatever else cost when coming to palmy its plain and simple .oh and 8 out of 10 performances are piss poor to watch ,after our win against dundee utd last night we will see the told you so and humble pie brigade emerging ,who get the chance to emerge every 7 or 8 games lol ,what we need is a consistent team churning out good performances week in week out ,will get some back .
    Queens prices are amongst the most competitive in the league so I doubt if that is an issue. Most of the support share your ambition of a consistent team churning out good performances each week but we are competing in a league with many teams on a superior budget. What is unacceptable is the unfair slagging of players and management.

    You will notice the Supporters Liaison Committee don't resort to slagging off Queen's players and management but get behind the team and do their best to improve things in a sensible and responcible manner.

    Charging 5 quid a head would be financial suicide and put us on a budget similar to the Cleyholers and you know what that would mean.

    I hope you get behind the team on Saturday.
    Last edited by QOS_MAD_ADMIN; 21-03-2018 at 01:07 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rockliffe,Dumfries and Galloway.
    Posts
    3,565
    Quote Originally Posted by lcfc57 View Post
    No the Dumfries public aren’t interested in supporting a full time team.
    Crowd on Saturday will stumble over a thousand.
    Would love to be proved wrong.
    I suspect with regret that you are correct my old friend

  7. #7
    It would be great to see more fans back to help with our push for the play offs but sadly can`t see it as the excuses I hear is that we play boring football, the pitch makes for boring hoofball and that we have to many players that certain fans don`t like or even the manager is useless and won`t be back until he goes.

    I will be there as usual backing the lads which will hopefully see Dobbie back and that Darren Brownlie is suspended for this match after he picked up his 6th yellow card against Dumbarton on 10th March.

  8. #8
    Dobbie is one more booking off a suspension also Spike

    The home crowd last weekend wasn’t helped by the bitterly cold weather . I’ll guess we’ll get approx 1,400 this Saturday which includes 150 Livingston fans

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    Queens prices are amongst the most competitive in the league so I doubt if that is an issue. Most of the support share your ambition of a consistent team churning out good performances each week but we are competing in a league with many teams on a superior budget. What is unacceptable is the unfair slagging of players and management.

    You will notice the Supporters Liaison Committee don't resort to slagging off Queen's players and management but get behind the team and do their best to improve things in a sensible and responcible manner.

    Charging 5 quid a head would be financial suicide and put us on a budget similar to the Cleyholers and you know what that would mean.

    I hope you get behind the team on Saturday.
    admin i dont think your underatanding what francis is saying i think hes making the point that unless you are a regular football goer £16 is the price theyd see

    if they were planing on going to queens v livi on saturdat they wouldnt turn round and look up the price to go to morton v brechin will they

  10. #10
    Admin , unfortunately, people of this town are not going to come flocking back to Palmerston on the strength of one very good away win . I can see us barely scraping 1000 on Saturday but would love to be wrong . What can we - the hard core - do ? We can try and talk our club up and maybe persuade some of those many people who have got out of the habit , to come back. I know this will sound ridiculous to non smokers but I know what were staunch QOS fans who have not been back since they couldn't smoke in the ground. Such is the importance - to them - of the habit.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by donnydonnydukduk View Post
    admin i dont think your underatanding what francis is saying i think hes making the point that unless you are a regular football goer £16 is the price theyd see

    if they were planing on going to queens v livi on saturdat they wouldnt turn round and look up the price to go to morton v brechin will they


    Donít think the club have any other option than to increase prices next season either. Theyíve been frozen for a while and we canít continue to lose £100,000 every year

  12. #12
    i think some of the people who have stopped coming isnt because they have been stopped smoking its self its the fact that its another thing that people are been banned from doing and another choice being taking away from them

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    Donít think the club have any other option than to increase prices next season either. Theyíve been frozen for a while and we canít continue to lose £100,000 every year
    i dont know how much that would help we need to finish higher up the table to gain the money

  14. #14
    Admin there are a number of factors which contributed to the attendance against St. Mirren and most important of all was the freakishly cold weather. Without a doubt last Saturday was the coldest I have ever been at a football match, and one of the coldest I have ever been anywhere which is quite remarkable since I have completed all my Munro's. The only time I have been colder was on Beinn Dorain near Bridge of Orchy which I climbed from the hotel in crampons and at the summit my tea froze in the cup!

    So we must accept that many people stepped out of the house last week and thought to themselves "I'll maybe not bother!"

    The other major factor is that Queens can't seem to string two wins together, lose lots of stupid goals and often play unattractive football.

    The main problem however is that our core support is literally dying out and they have not been replaced over the last decade.

    To counter that we need to encourage youngsters to Palmerston with open arms and I have proposed a potential plan to do just that on this board and to the board of directors, but it was effectively ignored.

    Clearly the training sessions with the youngsters and the half time game between Dumfries based kids and the oppositions kids would not in itself stop the rot, - but it would go a long way to stemming the tide of fans literally dying out, and help to bring a healthy following of Dumfries based parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends as well as families from the opposition.

    It must be extremely frustrating for the BOD to continually put their hands in their pocket and see no return in their investment, but as Queens fans pass on to the big Palmy in the sky, we need to replace them by offering as many incentives as possible to the next generation.

    In this digital age when many joys can be obtained in seconds at the touch of a button, - is it any wonder that kids are turning their noses up at standing in the cold watching 90 minutes of stalemate?

    The only way they might be enticed to come is to be able to interact with the players, - be taught the skills of the professionals, have their selfies taken with their favourite players and maybe even sit in the cars of the stars outside the main stand?

    The BOD claim that the players are not willing to sacrifice some time with the youngsters, - which I find totally unacceptable, and if that is the case they would be hell bent on killing the game.

    My proposal was that during the 40 minute warm up period, a couple of players from each side would spend 5 minutes or so interacting with the youngsters, setting up drills or showing them skills. Not only would that keep the players warm and involved but it would help them towards their own coaching badges. Players would take it in turns to ensure that all got their opportunity to interact with the youngsters and train with their squad.

    If a full time professional can't offer that small amount of time to save the game that earns them a living then God help us all.

    Its maybe time for everyone in the game to wake up and smell the roses and realise that they have a duty to give something back before its too late?

    Of course, this suggestion might not have the desired effect, but if we don't try it we'll never know.

    At this time of falling attendances all ideas are welcome.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Dumfries
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    The main problem however is that our core support is literally dying out and they have not been replaced over the last decade.
    No pun intended, but someone is benefiting!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    Dobbie is one more booking off a suspension also Spike
    I only have Dobbie down for only 3 yellow cards
    4\11\17 - Morton
    23\12\17 - St Mirren
    10\3\18 - Dumbarton

    Also Lyndon Dykes picked up his 6th yellow card against Dundee Utd so he will now due a suspension and I think that match would be the Falkirk game on the 3rd April as they kick in after 14 days of getting the 6th booking and Jacobs is only 1 yellow away from suspension as he is on 5.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    Queens prices are amongst the most competitive in the league so I doubt if that is an issue. Most of the support share your ambition of a consistent team churning out good performances each week but we are competing in a league with many teams on a superior budget. What is unacceptable is the unfair slagging of players and management.

    You will notice the Supporters Liaison Committee don't resort to slagging off Queen's players and management but get behind the team and do their best to improve things in a sensible and responcible manner.

    Charging 5 quid a head would be financial suicide and put us on a budget similar to the Cleyholers and you know what that would mean.

    I hope you get behind the team on Saturday.


    admin you miss the point ,only the regular attendee thinks 16 quid is a good price ,but from a joe public floating fan ,thay see 16 quid as extortionate iv asked so many people in dumfries why thay dont come to watch queens and once i tell them the price the most common response is thay laugh out loud and say (whut 16 quid are you taking the pee mate ,16 quid to watch queens your having a laugh mun) ,thats the usual type of response i get ,but that is but a number of things that keep fans away ,the smoking ban took a good few defo ,and the stewards and police also took a few away from queens .

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Deepest Cumbria
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    admin you miss the point ,only the regular attendee thinks 16 quid is a good price ,but from a joe public floating fan ,thay see 16 quid as extortionate iv asked so many people in dumfries why thay dont come to watch queens and once i tell them the price the most common response is thay laugh out loud and say (whut 16 quid are you taking the pee mate ,16 quid to watch queens your having a laugh mun) ,thats the usual type of response i get ,but that is but a number of things that keep fans away ,the smoking ban took a good few defo ,and the stewards and police also took a few away from queens .
    Francis, you are the one constantly harping on about increased investment in the club to reach the SPL and now are advocating a reduction in the gate receipts. I believe Queens have one of the lowest entry fees in the Championship and because of reduced income may in fact be forced to up the prices come next season if we are to maintain full time football. It is only the off field activities which is currently keeping us alive just and the income from these is also falling. You cannot have it all ways mate and need to get real.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rockliffe,Dumfries and Galloway.
    Posts
    3,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    admin you miss the point ,only the regular attendee thinks 16 quid is a good price ,but from a joe public floating fan ,thay see 16 quid as extortionate iv asked so many people in dumfries why thay dont come to watch queens and once i tell them the price the most common response is thay laugh out loud and say (whut 16 quid are you taking the pee mate ,16 quid to watch queens your having a laugh mun) ,thats the usual type of response i get ,but that is but a number of things that keep fans away ,the smoking ban took a good few defo ,and the stewards and police also took a few away from queens .
    If you find the time have a look at the prices charged by others in this league and you will fInd with the exception of Brechin our prices are much lower. We can’t do anything about the smoking but harassment by the police and stewards is a tricky one and you will have to convince the chairman on this one. I would like to see however a reduction of admission charges for the unemployed.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    admin you miss the point ,only the regular attendee thinks 16 quid is a good price ,but from a joe public floating fan ,thay see 16 quid as extortionate iv asked so many people in dumfries why thay dont come to watch queens and once i tell them the price the most common response is thay laugh out loud and say (whut 16 quid are you taking the pee mate ,16 quid to watch queens your having a laugh mun) ,thats the usual type of response i get ,but that is but a number of things that keep fans away ,the smoking ban took a good few defo ,and the stewards and police also took a few away from queens .


    The authorities at Palmerston donít bother anyone unless they really have no other option. Youíre talkiig rubbish again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •