+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Starting line up v Holland

I know what you mean Alto mate, and hey as were talking about clubs again here, I really admire what your Burnsley team have done.
    Sean the growler has done a superb job lads, theres no other way of looking at it. Have you lot given him the key to the town yet ? lol

I watched highlights of the England v Andorra....erm Holland game - another pointless friendly imo - especially being that the opposition (with all their dithering hesitation) only seemingly showed up to make England look good - must've been why Keoman waited until the last minute of normal time to send on Weghorst - with his 21 goals in all league and cup games this season - I'd guess they didn't want him to upset the Plan.

....and oh how the pundits loved Pickford !

Pickford kicks a ball, Pickford catches a bad effort, Hoddle then goes into that daft hushed tones meltdown of his...

A choice between watching England play a friendly game of football or a full blooded Super League match between Leeds and Castleford.
    I support and watch England when it comes down to competitive games, however, friendlies in any sport just do not interest me at all.

Hear hear.. Friendlies are very boring in any sport.

A workmanlike performance against a below average Netherlands team. Defensively we were sound and Pickford had practically nothing to do. In midfield we really do lack creativity and I would prefer to have seen Shelvey play there. Lingard took his goal well. Overall I would give a mark of 6.5/10. In terms of seeing what the uncapped players have to offer the mark is 0/4.

You can moan all you want, and of course it was like watching paint dry and Holland are not the force they were, but that was a thoroughly decent, competent performance, a vast improvement on some of the absolute dross I've seen from England teams in the last few years.

I'm not a big fan of Southgate, I doubt he has all the answers, or even the players if he knew what the answers were, but he does have one thing going for him imo, he seems to know who the wasters are, the dross, the rubbish, those surviving solely on their reputations, and gradually he's weeding them out. It was a breath of fresh air to me last night to watch an England team without the likes of Rooney, Sturridge, Hart, Jones and Smalling, players who have been holding back the team for years.

This England team is nowhere near the finished article, but at least it appears to be slowly moving in the right direction. For now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It was a breath of fresh air to me last night to watch an England team without the likes of Rooney, Sturridge, Hart, Jones and Smalling, players who have been holding back the team for years.
    but even with those players - I think we'd still have won the game - and looked decent.

and looking competent can also be deceiving - Fact is, we scraped a 0-1 win against a useless Holland !

Sinkov, when watching the match - were you wearing one of these ?

Sinkov is known in Clitheroe as the "Gas and Air Kid".

Your photo simply confirms it Norder!

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post
    but even with those players - I think we'd still have won the game - and looked decent.
    You may 'think' that Norder, but the fact is that with those players we have lost games to supposedly inferior teams, and the performances have been dreadful. Have you forgotten the shambles of the last World Cup already, and the Iceland game in particular ? It was so awful and Roy was so embarressed he resigned from the job, we were in such a dire state that we appointed Fat Sam to the post FFS, it's not that long ago, have you forgotten already ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)