+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We Need A Favour Tonight

Notts haven't won 2 games in a row since September so I just can't see them suddenly winning 8 in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    The point is it is still in our OWN hands. We are not relying on favours, yet.

Have we not won 8 games in a row before? SIMPLETON
    Yes, obviously you are. We've won 8 games in a row about 3 times in 156 years. Thinking logically though obviously isn't your strong point.

So is getting promoted in our hands or not? Logically speaking.
    I never said we WOULD win 8 in a row. I am speaking about the possibilities.
    Let’s say for arguments sake, Carlisle, if they were to win all there remaining games, would it guarantee promotion? Possibly not.
    If Notts were to win all 8 it’s guaranteed.
    Is that so difficult to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    So is getting promoted in our hands or not? Logically speaking.
    I never said we WOULD win 8 in a row. I am speaking about the possibilities.
    Let’s say for arguments sake, Carlisle, if they were to win all there remaining games, would it guarantee promotion? Possibly not.
    If Notts were to win all 8 it’s guaranteed.
    Is that so difficult to understand?
    So the point is that it could happen? The possibilities in what could happen are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    The problem is all the dropped points.....FGR at home,awful.....Swindon away, dreadful.....Barnet away, shocking and dismal, the worst game ever...Newport away, a joke....2 home games on the trot...both lost to Crawley and Exeter.....Mansfield, 2 points spunked away after bringing off the best player with 4 minutes to go.

Some on here keep saying kick~n~rush is the way to get out of this league, and "that was a good 1 point, it will be valuable at the end of the season"....well, guess what....everyone else has figured out that it is 3 points for a win and the way to win is to be aggressive......stop trying to "manage the clock" Nolo and a quick tip, if you are winning 1~0, try and score another!!......it aint ****ing rocket science
    I'm not disputing any of that. We are where we deserve to be. Yes we have thrown points away towards the end of games and we are guilty of not finishing teams off at times and sitting back, and had we not done that we probably would be top instead of Accrington. It's all if's and but's.

Five teams below us have a game in hand, and it's unlikely all those will drop points so that will tighten things up again. Our goal difference is far superior than Exeters so that could be worth an extra point to us.

If we want to stay in touch with the automatic promotion places then in my opinion we have to win at Chesterfield, and get 4 points over the Easter Weekend which my preference would be a win against Wycombe at home and a draw away at Accrington.

That will put us on 73 points with 5 games remaining after Easter.

Mansfield's game in hand is on 10th April. Accrington, Exeter, Lincoln and Wycombe's game in hand is on Tuesday 17th April. The good news is Lincoln and Wycombe play each other in their game in hand so both can't win that one.

We have won 18 games. For automatic promotion generally we need to have won half of our games this season, so 23. That's a minimum of 5 wins from 8 games which would put us on 81.

I'm predicting 83/84 for third place.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 22-03-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I'm not disputing any of that. We are where we deserve to be. Yes we have thrown points away towards the end of games and we are guilty of not finishing teams off at times and sitting back, and had we not done that we probably would be top instead of Accrington. It's all if's and but's.

Five teams below us have a game in hand, and it's unlikely all those will drop points so that will tighten things up again. Our goal difference is far superior than Exeters so that could be worth an extra point to us.

If we want to stay in touch with the automatic promotion places then in my opinion we have to win at Chesterfield, and get 4 points over the Easter Weekend which my preference would be a win against Wycombe at home and a draw away at Accrington.

That will put us on 73 points with 5 games remaining after Easter.

Mansfield's game in hand is on 10th April. Accrington, Exeter, Lincoln and Wycombe's game in hand is on Tuesday 17th April. The good news is Lincoln and Wycombe play each other in their game in hand so both can't win that one.

We have won 18 games. For automatic promotion generally we need to have won half of our games this season, so 23. That's a minimum of 5 wins from 8 games which would put us on 81.

I'm predicting 83/84 for third place.
    Easter weekend is the one, 4 points would be a great return, especially if we beat Wycombe.

I think I'd take 7th right now, to be honest. You'd always take promotion but I think L1 would be a massive struggle for us next season. I'd rather be in L1 for 2019/20 than back in L2 after a relegation, given that choice, but of course there's no guarantee that we're going to be challenging next season if we don't go up.
    Nolan hasn't been under any significant pressure since he's been here but I think he will be in the next campaign (regardless of which league we're in) and I'm not sure how well he'd be able to cope with that. He's certainly earned the right to have another go at it though.

I can see a situation where it’s us, the slags, Lincoln and Cov in the play offs which might be great fun.

We haven’t beaten anyone in the top 9 since September though which may be a problem going into the Easter games. I know it’s said a lot, but Chesterfield is a must win game.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I think I'd take 7th right now, to be honest. You'd always take promotion but I think L1 would be a massive struggle for us next season. I'd rather be in L1 for 2019/20 than back in L2 after a relegation, given that choice, but of course there's no guarantee that we're going to be challenging next season if we don't go up.
    Nolan hasn't been under any significant pressure since he's been here but I think he will be in the next campaign (regardless of which league we're in) and I'm not sure how well he'd be able to cope with that. He's certainly earned the right to have another go at it though.
    but I think L1 would be a massive struggle for us next season

What are you basing that on? Our L2 squad as of now?

Quote Originally Posted by iamITK View Post
    but I think L1 would be a massive struggle for us next season

What are you basing that on? Our L2 squad as of now?
    I was thinking more in terms of results since September, and it's a good point that BigFatPie makes that Notts haven't beaten anybody in the top 9 since that month also. Decent draws at Luton and Lincoln, but nothing of note to inject any real belief that automatic promotion is likely, never mind that the club could hold its own in L1. Doncaster and Blackpool (3rd and 7th last season) are currently only 6 pts above the drop.

Maybe we'd spend big if we got promotion although we don't have form in that area either, which isn't a criticism, investing in other areas for longer term gain may well be the way forward.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast