+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Longest Runs By The Millers

So does that mean we have never got to 4th round when starting in the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by pip_y View Post
    We have done a few times, but it's a rare event eg 1985/6 started with a Round One 6-0 victory over Wolves (H), then beat Burnley (H) 4-1, then Frickley(A ) 3-1...lost to Arsenal 1-5 at Highbury in Round Four.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 22-03-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    And we've only got that far about 3 times. As Cam says, probably the worst record in the history of English league football - makes you proud.
    Only got to the 5th round twice

Quote Originally Posted by pip_y View Post
    Actually since 68 we have got to the 4th round more times starting in the 1st than we have starting in the 3rd In the 9 seasons we started in the 3rd we only made the 4th twice but in the other seasons we made it at least 3 times. This coming from a trawl of Wikipedia I just did and my earlier guess of 50 wins in 50 years happened to be spot on. We have won 50 FA Cup games since 1968 but 41 of those came before 1999. I blame those who moved away to the US in that year on the fact we have only won 9 times in the past 19 years

I think we have been concentrating on the league

I'll field this or part of it from memory.

Our record run of League games without defeat extends to 18 games in the old Div3. Twas in the mid 1970s.

Most league wins on the bounce? 9. Should've been 10 because just before the ref blew for FT he'd given us a penalty after Ronnie took a dive in the Newcastle box. Towner made a real hash of the pen and the game ended 0-0.

Reached the 5th round of the FA Cup TWICE only. First time v Leicester. Alan Hill brilliantly saved a penalty (he was out best ever signing from Barnsley) and the game ended 1-1. I was there but this footnote made not the slightest difference. Very unlucky in the replay. Their strikers that night were Frank Large and Alan 'Sniffer' Clarke, later of Leeds.

The second time we lost at Crewe of all places.

My worst ever Cup experience was against Northampton who were a division lower at the time. We fluked a 1-1 draw at the County Ground with Branston making a spectacular goal line clearance with 3 seconds to go. The winners of the replay would play Man Utd and the game would be televised. Once again we flunked it when things mattered. We lost 1-2 at Millmoor, we were lifeless and pathetic and the Cobblers pocketed at least £600,000. from the Man U game.

I think we did make the 5th round once before Leicester in 1968 but the Crewe loss you are thinking of Zil was 90-91 and it was in the 4th round. We also lost to them at Millmoor in the same round in 2001-02, the year we beat Southampton in the 3rd round having entered at that stage. The Northampton debacle came the following year in the 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I think we did make the 5th round once before Leicester in 1968 but the Crewe loss you are thinking of Zil was 90-91 and it was in the 4th round. We also lost to them at Millmoor in the same round in 2001-02, the year we beat Southampton in the 3rd round having entered at that stage. The Northampton debacle came the following year in the 3rd round.
    52/53 was the first time, lost at home to Villa

Quote Originally Posted by Zilzal View Post
    I'll field this or part of it from memory.

Our record run of League games without defeat extends to 18 games in the old Div3. Twas in the mid 1970s.

Most league wins on the bounce? 9. Should've been 10 because just before the ref blew for FT he'd given us a penalty after Ronnie took a dive in the Newcastle box. Towner made a real hash of the pen and the game ended 0-0.

Reached the 5th round of the FA Cup TWICE only. First time v Leicester. Alan Hill brilliantly saved a penalty (he was out best ever signing from Barnsley) and the game ended 1-1. I was there but this footnote made not the slightest difference. Very unlucky in the replay. Their strikers that night were Frank Large and Alan 'Sniffer' Clarke, later of Leeds.

The second time we lost at Crewe of all places.

My worst ever Cup experience was against Northampton who were a division lower at the time. We fluked a 1-1 draw at the County Ground with Branston making a spectacular goal line clearance with 3 seconds to go. The winners of the replay would play Man Utd and the game would be televised. Once again we flunked it when things mattered. We lost 1-2 at Millmoor, we were lifeless and pathetic and the Cobblers pocketed at least £600,000. from the Man U game.
    I attended both matches against Leicester and although Zills is correct in stating that Alan Hill saved a penalty, the ref ruled that he had moved, ordered it to be retaken and this time it was converted.

Someone must know this one! Can we break a record for this season just like we broke one last?

Consecutive games scoring goals

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast