+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argentina v Italy

Quote Originally Posted by seanbeanstattoo View Post
    Had a brilliant time at the Etihad. Decent drive over,parked a 5 minute walk from the stadium ,free street parking adjacent to a wonderful Italian restaurant I discovered via google and thinking ahead thought Mmm Italy are playing,could be busy,so reserved a table which turned out to be an inspired move. The place was packed with wonderful proper football fans all eating,drinking and all talking to each other no matter where they had travelled from,who their home team was or who they were supporting tonight.
    NOT ONE F U C K TA RD ON A MOBILE. It was fantastic. It was CONVERSATION. My daughter loved it, but then she isn't a social media addicted mong like so many. The owner and staff at this place were superb. Great food,great service and crazy low prices,(as is petrol round there,£1.12 a ltr unleaded)

Gentle stroll to the ground. Front row seats just to the left of the goal south stand. Caught a ball, (first time ever in 50 years at games) and returned it to Buffon. Had a bit of wee come out! Yes it was a friendly and yes the intensity wasn't there but the skill levels and comfort on the ball over the pitch were a delight all night. Highlights being the young junior football team behind us getting a full on Mexican wave going; Buffon and Cabellero great masterclasses;the loud but good spirited booing when the Argentine subs warmed up as Messi wasn't among them;and the understandable chants for the maestro.
    Higuin was disappointing,Di Maria brilliant.

Absolute banging value night out.
    Match tickets £40in total for both; great meal in great Italian £20; special memorable night with my amazing youngest FU C K ING PRICELESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sounds a cracking night...........how cool that you could park for free a 5 minute walk from the stadium and enjoy a decent Italian - can't think of many modern grounds where you could do that.......hope you get the chance to do that again in the next (couple) of seasons with the Blades

Didn't know it was at the Etihad. Might have gone if I did. I assumed Buffon had retired from internationals! That must have been a bit of a surreal moment!

I went to Argentina v Portugal at Old Trafford just over 3 years ago. Saw Messi and Ronaldo on the same pitch. But they both went off at half time, and the game was absolutely w@nk. I even left before the end... and missed the only goal of the game, as Portugal won in the last minute.

I watched the Etihad game on TV (I’m abroad) while keeping an eye on England via my ipad. Agree totally with SBT about the skill levels, close control and comfort on the ball. Much more enjoyable than watching England against a very poor Dutch team, although it was nice to see 2 of our recent Academy products in the England back 3.
    Just a shame for all who went to the Etihad, that Messi stayed on the bench, but I’m sure SBT’s daughter had a truly memorable night out with her dear old dad.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    I watched the Etihad game on TV (I’m abroad) while keeping an eye on England via my ipad. Agree totally with SBT about the skill levels, close control and comfort on the ball. Much more enjoyable than watching England against a very poor Dutch team, although it was nice to see 2 of our recent Academy products in the England back 3.
    Just a shame for all who went to the Etihad, that Messi stayed on the bench, but I’m sure SBT’s daughter had a truly memorable night out with her dear old dad.

We both did. And less of the old!!!

Obviously nothing compares with being at the Lane and cheering on the RAWW but as having a cracking evening goes last night gets a perfect 10.

Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    Didn't know it was at the Etihad. Might have gone if I did. I assumed Buffon had retired from internationals! That must have been a bit of a surreal moment!

I went to Argentina v Portugal at Old Trafford just over 3 years ago. Saw Messi and Ronaldo on the same pitch. But they both went off at half time, and the game was absolutely w@nk. I even left before the end... and missed the only goal of the game, as Portugal won in the last minute.
    Buffon reconsidered when Italy failed to qualify for the Mafia World Cup. Glad he did so I got to see an icon. Spoke to some Italian fans in the restaurant pre-match who whilst adoring him all felt he should have stayed retired from international football to give the next generation of keepers plenty of time to settle at that level which does make perfect sense.

Real shame Messi didn't get on, and quite poor from the manager. It's obvious that seeing him play is the reason many of the fans went to that game.

Absolutely. I would say the overwhelming majority bought tickets on the back of that expectation,to some extent myself included. Just 10 mins would have done,likewise Aguero who was apparently "injured"
    Just more affamation that what we all know is true. Football is dead to any true fan and is simply a commodity like a Maccy D. More fool us for staying with it. See the BBC article about Man U looking to hand out song sheets at turnstiles,introduce cheerleaders and a few blokes on megaphones to generate atmosphere.
    Almost makes one wish for a permanent berth in the "pub league" where real fans support real teams!

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    I quite enjoyed England's performance Ronaldo,i agree tho the Dutch are a poor side.I thought Hazza looked a class player,and for those who slate Enda and George's crossin,well i must say Danny Rose's crossin was worse last night in my view.I hope you're enjoyin your holiday mi owd pal.By the way Ronaldo,Sam Graham's gone to Halifax on loan till the end of the season,came on as a sub today i believe.I went to watch U/18's v Brizzle City today it was 2-2 when i left(wi abart 10 mins left)it was a good game to watch,we scored more or less from the ko and then allowed them to go straight up and equalise 1-1 after 2mins or so,we then went 2-1 in front but again allowed Brizzle to equalise,it was 2-2 at H/T.Sammy Ompreon impressed me today. UTCB
    Last edited by rodcurrie; 24-03-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    I quite enjoyed England's performance Ronaldo,i agree tho the Dutch are a poor side.I thought Hazza looked a class player,and for those who slate Enda and George's crossin,well i must say Danny Rose's crossin was worse last night in my view.I hope you're enjoyin your holiday mi owd pal.By the way Ronaldo,Sam Graham's gone to Halifax on loan till the end of the season,came on as a sub today i believe.I went to watch U/18's v Brizzle City today it was 2-2 when i left(wi abart 10 mins left)it was a good game to watch,we scored more or less from the ko and then allowed them to go straight up and equalise 1-1 after 2mins or so,we then went 2-1 in front but again allowed Brizzle to equalise,it was 2-2 at H/T.Sammy Ompreon impressed me today. UTCB
    Sadly, the final result for the U18’s was a 3-2 loss. The S6 lot beat Cardiff 5-0. This year’s group does not appear anywhere as good as previous years. Mark Grayson’s defection about 2 or 3 years ago, merely a coincidence? I did say at the time, that I thought we would regret not keeping him. The next few years will tell!
    Think the Sam Graham move could be good for him - hope so anyway. Good luck to the lad.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbeanstattoo View Post
    Absolutely. I would say the overwhelming majority bought tickets on the back of that expectation,to some extent myself included. Just 10 mins would have done,likewise Aguero who was apparently "injured"
    Just more affamation that what we all know is true. Football is dead to any true fan and is simply a commodity like a Maccy D. More fool us for staying with it. See the BBC article about Man U looking to hand out song sheets at turnstiles,introduce cheerleaders and a few blokes on megaphones to generate atmosphere.
    Almost makes one wish for a permanent berth in the "pub league" where real fans support real teams!

Glad to hear you both enjoyed it. Yes a great shame that Messi did not play. The Spanish press are reporting that
    Messi missed Argentina’s 2-0 win against Italy on Friday with a hamstring strain, and his official Twitter account confirmed he skipped training the following day, doing ‘regenerative’ work instead.

However, the No 10 says “I’ve been training normally and I haven’t felt an injury, but there’s still discomfort so we decided it was best if I let it clear for everything that’s coming up.

“I’m optimistic for Tuesday against Spain I really want to play.”

Re the BBC article about Man U looking to hand out song sheets at turnstiles,introduce cheerleaders and a few blokes on megaphones to generate atmosphere. I watched the M utd V Sevilla game on tv and within a crowd of 76,000 you could only hear the 2,000 Sevilla fans singing throughout the match. Most M utd fans must have been too busy taking selfies.

When M utd came to Sevilla I never heard a Manc accent all day, far unlike the City fans we hosted a couple of years ago in the CL who were "proper" fans, had a good knowledge of their history and each one I spoke to pre and after the game were all good company and a pleasure to meet. Far removed from their plastic neighbours

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12