+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: I wish we could leave Matty Smith up at corners.

I wish we could leave Matty Smith up at corners.

He is fast and would require a couple of defenders to mark him. Instead we have everybody back in a packed penalty box.
    If the ball breaks to us a well timed punt might set him off.

Fair shout - needs to be an out ball.

Is it anxiety about the abiltiy to defend at set pieces? Should not need every player back whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jam View Post
    He is fast and would require a couple of defenders to mark him. Instead we have everybody back in a packed penalty box.
    If the ball breaks to us a well timed punt might set him off.
    I would have 2 players up when defending a corner! Takes a midfielder out the box and another further away from a long range shot.

Really dont know why we now insist everyone goes in the box to defend, especially when McMullan is on.

its a big pet hate for me in recent weeks.
    i know CL might be anxious at set pieces and want more back to defend but i dont see any sort of benefit to united tbh!

if mikkelson is on bring him back for height but if we're bringing back guys like mcmullan, smith or king, do they really want to defend? unlikely. ICT goal from a corner came from Smith marking someone who wanted to win the header more than him. so whats the point in bringing these guys back if they aren't committed to defending?

the one thing i liked that jackie mac done was leave 2 guys up at corners (normally guys like dow and gms). it seems to make more sense. means the other team will need to leave 3 back instead of having only 1 back the way we play just now. Thats 2 extra players in and around our box?!?! it just invites pressure.

leaving king/mcmullan/smith up gives us an out ball if the keeper gets the ball or if the ball is cleared. also means he could put pressure straight away from our cleared ball.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)