+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting piece.

I agree with most of his comments - it can't be easy running out to play an important match knowing your own fans are waiting to shout abuse at you for the slightest mistake.

I think some of the abuse he received was totally brutal and ridiculous - hardly surprising he lost confidence and feared being selected to play for the club.

Most clubs up and down the country have a pocket of fans who shout abuse at their own players - I don't think it will get them playing any better, but some fans think it's a free hit to shout abuse at players.

Professional players will be used to this, but getting abused week in and week out by your own fans is going to take it's tally on most players and will eventually grind them down to the extend that they don't look forward to playing.

I feel sympathy for him - I know I would hate going to work getting non stop abuse.

If players try their best and give 100% effort there is not much more you can expect.

I suspect a few of the United players are feeling the same was as this at the moment - when the players are low in confidence I don't think shouting abuse at them will help matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ClashCityRocker View Post
    I agree with most of his comments - it can't be easy running out to play an important match knowing your own fans are waiting to shout abuse at you for the slightest mistake.

I think some of the abuse he received was totally brutal and ridiculous - hardly surprising he lost confidence and feared being selected to play for the club.

Most clubs up and down the country have a pocket of fans who shout abuse at their own players - I don't think it will get them playing any better, but some fans think it's a free hit to shout abuse at players.

Professional players will be used to this, but getting abused week in and week out by your own fans is going to take it's tally on most players and will eventually grind them down to the extend that they don't look forward to playing.

I feel sympathy for him - I know I would hate going to work getting non stop abuse.

If players try their best and give 100% effort there is not much more you can expect.

I suspect a few of the United players are feeling the same was as this at the moment - when the players are low in confidence I don't think shouting abuse at them will help matters.
    This post pretty much sums up the modern day football player. Stick them in a room with Jim McLean for 5 minutes.

Fergie was the ultimate man manager. Could put the arm round shoulder but could also deliver a rocket.

I did feel Donaldson got a hard time. Likes of mccunnie in past - young full backs do get a lot of abuse for every misstep from the GF

Not great for him to go running to daily ranger with this. United probably could do better at all levels with how we bring on young players

Spot on CCR.
    The article is very concerning.
    I do despair but not at the Coll Donaldsons.

A hun loving journalist has another kick at United while we're down and folk on here lap it up, how odd.

Spot on!

So 2 fresh air swipes after coming on as a substitute were the supporters fault get over it.

Aye, the same Donaldson who had time in a game to shout back at my young lad! Nay wonder we didnae like him, although it wasnt all his fault!

In article it says manager wouldn’t play him as felt he lacked confidence. Donaldson himself admits he was low in confidence and players in front of him doing well. That was his main problem - not able to get a game and get a run in team, having a bad time as a result

Blinkers on from some re sevco paper and sevco reporter to ignore the remarks. Listen to what he says as it affects our players now. Toxic was the word that came to mind on Wednesday and it needs cleared now.
    FFS Fraser was getting abuse on Wednesday and he has only come back from injury.
    Some fans need to look up the word supporter or keep their pus shut

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)