+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O/T Gender and Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    There must be sports however where the gender barriers are artificial and unnecessary. I know little about either but anything to do with horses and cars would seem to provide opportunity for men and women to compete equally
    There has actually been a well-publicised spat on the subject in motorsports, where a well regarded member of 'Women In Motorsport' made the case for motor racing being less physical to allow females to progress. She was almost universally condemned, including bravely at least one prominent current racer, Jenson Button, but also all the current prominent female racers, including the world's current 'best' female racer, Danica Patrick. Danica is retiring this year after a career in American single seat and saloon roundy roundy racing, and before you dismiss that, those NASCARS are bloody beasts to drive, she's 5ft 2 and has banged bumpers (fenders) with the best

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Using footy as an example, and only because I sometimes watch local non-league teams, I think Mickleover Sports would comfortably beat the female England National team. Mind you, they could give some of the male 11s seen recently a run for their money
    Of course, but that doesn’t mean a match between two female teams can’t be good and we shouldn’t undermine the value of our top sportswomen/athletes to the world of sporting achievement, which is what comments such as ‘women’s sport isn’t worth the time of day’ imply.

Of course, but that doesn’t mean a match between two female teams can’t be good and we shouldn’t undermine the value of our top sportswomen/athletes to the world of sporting achievement, which is what comments such as ‘women’s sport isn’t worth the time of day’ imply.
    Not sure I've seen anyone half sensible suggest women's sport overall isn't worth the time of day. There are some where they do look a bit daft though, footy being one IMO, just the same as men look pathetic playing my favourite female dominated sport, netball

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Not sure I've seen anyone half sensible suggest women's sport overall isn't worth the time of day. There are some where they do look a bit daft though, footy being one IMO, just the same as men look pathetic playing my favourite female dominated sport, netball
    Again you’re probably right...the quote was from elsewhere in this thread though.

Going back to your motor sport comments...I’m genuinely unsure about quite how ‘physical’ motor sport can be in comparison to some of the other sports which women excel at...cross country, marathon running, skiing, rowing, heptathlon to name but a few.
    Most F1 drivers (and jockeys too) are little guys...do they really have this huge level of strength to deal with the g-forces in a way that women never could or is it just a culturally fulfilling myth? I don’t profess to know, but I suspect that it is one of those areas where the greatest barrier to women competing directly against men is on the grounds of tradition rather than ability and potential.

There have been female jockeys in the past and they haven't "made the grade". There have been, and there are still, some women racing cars. Danica for one. Where is she in the rankings compared to her male counterparts? I ask as I don't know. She is arguably one of the best female racing drivers ever. If she isn't a top 10 ranked driver then she might well be seen also "not to have made the grade".

Just checked...... The only woman ever to win a Indy race. She won the Japan 300.

Ranked 108 in 2014. 28th last year.

One top class win and 28th her best ever ranking.......

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Just checked...... The only woman ever to win a Indy race. She won the Japan 300.

Ranked 108 in 2014. 28th last year.

One top class win and 28th her best ever ranking.......
    Accept all that MA, but there would have been a time when there were no female bosses, headteachers, bank managers, soldiers, police officers or - perish the thought - Prime Ministers. That has changed because opportunity and expectation has changed. My question is...are the sports we’re talking about still dominated by men because of ‘tradition’ or is there a genuine physical reason. I fully recognise the ‘inbalance’ caused by size, weight and strength in contact sports but in driving fast...really?

Accept all that MA, but there would have been a time when there were no female bosses, headteachers, bank managers, soldiers, police officers or - perish the thought - Prime Ministers. That has changed because opportunity and expectation has changed. My question is...are the sports we’re talking about still dominated by men because of ‘tradition’ or is there a genuine physical reason. I fully recognise the ‘inbalance’ caused by size, weight and strength in contact sports but in driving fast...really?
    Yes. F1 drivers are among the fittest of sportsmen around. They sweat litres and litres during a race. Remember how well they did in the old "Superstars" shows way back when.

I once did an hour long session in a racing kart. Next day I had pain in muscles I was unaware I had........

England ladies Tonni Duggan signs three year deal for Barcelona at 50,000 Euros a week hmmm

First RA, to reinforce MAs comment, F1 and all elite motorsport drivers are incredibly fit.

But I think equestrian (and I'm talking about showjumping in particular which is where I have a lot of knowledge), where grass roots participation and administration is massively in favour of females, where their dexterity compensates for any slight advantage men have in strength, yet males predominate at elite level, suggests there's something else at play - maybe application, maybe that ability to totally stay 'in the zone'.

In F1, there is actually a real keenness to get a female into a team from a commercial POV because it would increase the (TV) audience significantly. But, despite there being a number of females knocking at the door, no team will take the risk, simply because they aren't good enough.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)