+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: O/T Gender and Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Not true. IMO one of the top ten sportwomen of all time, Michelle Mouton, contested as an equal in the World Rally Championship in the early 80's competing for Audi in the frankly dangerous and certainly nuts Group B era. She won four rallies outright, came second in the 1982 championship and neither gave nor received any quarter from fellow drivers. She is still highly regarded in motorsport and I think she was awarded the Legion d'Honeure
    Exception that proves the rule?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Exception that proves the rule?
    I don’t think so MA. In the same way as countries take time to emerge successfully in sports - USA football, Italy rugby, Sri Lanka cricket - so women have to catch up from years of limited opportunity. To come full circle I have seen no evidence in this thread to suggest that women and men can’t compete equally in ‘sports’ such as car driving, darts, snooker, curling, polo and other equestrian activities.
    If, with apologies to Mrs. F, you want a real ‘exception to the rule’...it’s Scotland. Getting ever worse at football and no better at cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I don’t think so MA. In the same way as countries take time to emerge successfully in sports - USA football, Italy rugby, Sri Lanka cricket - so women have to catch up from years of limited opportunity. To come full circle I have seen no evidence in this thread to suggest that women and men can’t compete equally in ‘sports’ such as car driving, darts, snooker, curling, polo and other equestrian activities.
    If, with apologies to Mrs. F, you want a real ‘exception to the rule’...it’s Scotland. Getting ever worse at football and no better at cricket.
    She would counter with Rugby and Tennis RA

She would also counter your dismissal of the hormonal issue, especially those to do with 'the cycle'. I'm surprised you dismissed it

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    She would counter with Rugby and Tennis RA

She would also counter your dismissal of the hormonal issue, especially those to do with 'the cycle'. I'm surprised you dismissed it
    One swallow doesn’t make a summer Andy.

Mrs. F would agree about the ‘hormonal issue’ preventing women being successful in racing driving...really?
    I know it effects some more than others...I still carry the scars from my first wife’s occasional bouts of monthly crockery throwing...but honestly, I believe testosterone fuelled macho outbursts to be just as much of a hindrance to reasoned and logical behaviour as anything brought about by the menstrual cycle.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)