+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: O/T Gender and Sport

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Just checked...... The only woman ever to win a Indy race. She won the Japan 300.

Ranked 108 in 2014. 28th last year.

One top class win and 28th her best ever ranking.......
    You gotta be careful with Indycar and NASCAR stats. Most drivers, including Danica, don't do full seasons. If you saw her juking it out with the Indycar field and even more so in NASCAR, a truly white male dominated sport, she would earn your respect. She's actually retiring this year, and doing the Indy 500. With no strong British rep in the field, I hope she wins.

Ah good old F1 - this week's winner determined by the timing and positioning of the breakdown of a car not really in contention to win. Otherwise no overtaking of significance in around 2 hours.

It certainly needs something to attract an audience

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Ah good old F1 - this week's winner determined by the timing and positioning of the breakdown of a car not really in contention to win. Otherwise no overtaking of significance in around 2 hours.

It certainly needs something to attract an audience
    No argument there RR, so boring I went and did some painting. I'm a real motorsport fan and F1 is by some distance the most boring formula/class on show. Even worse is watching F1 at the venue, I've never got that.

Yes. F1 drivers are among the fittest of sportsmen around. They sweat litres and litres during a race. Remember how well they did in the old "Superstars" shows way back when.

I once did an hour long session in a racing kart. Next day I had pain in muscles I was unaware I had........
    Of course you experienced pain in unfamiliar muscles...that’s always the case with unfamiliar excercise.
    As for the fondly remembered ‘Superstars’, it took place on four**** occasions. Those from the world of athletics were the most successful, winning six times. The other winners were from Boxing, Rowing, Swimming, Skiing, Rugby League, Rugby Union and Judo (twice). No one from any form of motorsport, including F1, ever won and, tbh, I can’t remember any contestants.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 25-03-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Of course you experienced pain in unfamiliar muscles...that’s always the case with unfamiliar excercise.
    As for the fondly remembered ‘Superstars’, it took place on four**** occasions. Those from the world of athletics were the most successful, winning six times. The other winners were from Boxing, Rowing, Swimming, Skiing, Rugby League, Rugby Union and Judo (twice). No one from any form of motorsport, including F1, ever won and, tbh, I can’t remember any contestants.
    James Hunt, Barry Sheene, poss Brian Henton

I haven't read all the responses so apologies if someones already mentioned it. Just to name drop a little my brother has worked in motorsport since he left school 35 odd years ago building engines, currently works at Mercedes HPP, my nephew is in uni now doing some motorsport course so was chatting to my sister who is defo no motosport fan but is starting to get into it because of her son, we talked at length at why there were no women in F1, it all boiled down to women being hormonal she reckons, I just agreed in the end because i still couldn't find a reason, so is that it; women are hormonal thats why they can't compete with men?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    James Hunt, Barry Sheene, poss Brian Henton
    To the best of my knowledge, Jackie Stewart (1973) and James Hunt (1976) are the only F1 or racing car drivers to have competed in ‘Superstars’. Neither won or came close to winning although the latter’s claim to fame is putting oil on the soles of his shoes to help in the squat thrusts.
    I’m only responding to MA substantiating how fit F1 drivers are on the basis of them doing so well in ‘Superstars’. They didn’t.

As regards the ‘hormonal’ argument...I don’t think even Stenson has offered that seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, Jackie Stewart (1973) and James Hunt (1976) are the only F1 or racing car drivers to have competed in ‘Superstars’. Neither won or came close to winning although the latter’s claim to fame is putting oil on the soles of his shoes to help in the squat thrusts.
    I’m only responding to MA substantiating how fit F1 drivers are on the basis of them doing so well in ‘Superstars’. They didn’t.

As regards the ‘hormonal’ argument...I don’t think even Stenson has offered that seriously.
    They didn't win the thing rA but I never claimed they did. However, and it might be down to me, when I saw car drivers advertised as being on Superstars I was amazed that they had even been invited. They didn't win but were towards the top rather than rock bottom which is where I had expected.

I forget which driver it was but there is a documentary out there on what training F1 drivers do to get fit enough to endure a race. It is a vicious regime and my thoughts on "car drivers in Superstars being out of place" were totally trashed.

Take a butcher's at this vid......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2cEFj9epMU
    Last edited by MadAmster; 26-03-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Regarding the fitness of f1 drivers, I think that are different to most other sports in the fact that they have to be on it continuously for around 90 minutes with exception of about 3 seconds at a pit stop. Even long distance runners and cyclists ease off at times during a race.

They didn't win the thing rA but I never claimed they did. However, and it might be down to me, when I saw car drivers advertised as being on Superstars I was amazed that they had even been invited. They didn't win but were towards the top rather than rock bottom which is where I had expected.

I forget which driver it was but there is a documentary out there on what training F1 drivers do to get fit enough to endure a race. It is a vicious regime and my thoughts on "car drivers in Superstars being out of place" were totally trashed.

Take a butcher's at this vid......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2cEFj9epMU
    Never really disputed the need for mental and physical fitness, MA...just whether it’s the sort of fitness that women are capable of. Small framed, mentally and physically fit, particularly in the neck area seems to be the requirements from the clip you sent and I wouldn’t have thought any of that precluded women.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)