+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T Disappointing American Food

Perhaps I've been here too long but there are many things I really like. Forget Hershey's. Try a bar of Trader Joe's Pound Plus milk chocolate. Absolutely delicious. Also Almond Mounds - just like a Bounty, Good and Plenty - small licorice torpedoes - and Junior Mints.

Cuts of meat are generally better and a reasonable price. There is a massive variety of seafood. Most supermarkets sell really good crusty bread (as well as the cheap pap.) Deli food is something you see very little of in the UK - at least in terms of the variety and quality you get in the US.

Yes, there is a lot of crappy stuff. They say that after the atom bomb has been dropped, the only thing left will be cockroaches, margarine...and Twinkies.

I'd say there's good and bad American food just like there is anywhere. On my last trip to England I couldn't believe the price being charged there for Krispy Kreme doughnuts, they are not worth the $9.99/dozen here let alone paying more than that in pounds.

As a true Yorkshireman I find it difficult to make the jump between a $15 meal and a $50 meal as the latter never seems to warrant the price gap. Me and Mrs CA were at a Burt Bacharach concert earlier in the week at a local jazz club (not many 89 year olds in concert these days) and the meal we had made me sick, not the food but the bill

What's the word on cheese, Cam? I've heard that away from the larger cities the choice is a bit 'disappointing'.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    What's the word on cheese, Cam? I've heard that away from the larger cities the choice is a bit 'disappointing'.
    Never had a problem with getting any variety I need including Wensleydale, Stilton and a wide selection of European cheeses. However, I would say the masses seem to consume something akin to flavourless rubber disguised as cheddar.

To be fair their beer has improved over the years. Some great independent stuff.

American food is good for making your waistline larger

Actually I will admit I did quite like Milk Duds, but wouldn't pay the import prices, but I'd eat them over there.

Plus their jelly beans are good, Jelly Belly etc, but they are made with GMO ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I'd say there's good and bad American food just like there is anywhere. On my last trip to England I couldn't believe the price being charged there for Krispy Kreme doughnuts, they are not worth the $9.99/dozen here let alone paying more than that in pounds.
    Yes they're definitely overhyped.

Lidl is the place to go for doughnuts!

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Once people figure out America is the problem and not the solution then we can all sleep a tad more easier .
    Dear me. Novichok anyone?

Good points CT. Also Sprouts and Wholefoods are great and we have Publix down here too

If you want junk food, it's here.
    If you want healthy food, it's here.
    If you want MacDonalds, they are here.
    If you want decent restaurants, with reasonable prices, they are here.
    If you want gourmet restaurants, they are here.

Not sure what Animal's getting at.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast