+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Walker

Walker

Is Walker injured or not getting in the squad?

I wonder if Dave Artell made a mistake in signing this player? Seems to have disappeared from view recently and has really only figured at CH and that was when we were struggling. Since Ray has partnered Nolan, things seem to be steadier in that part of the defence. I believe that Walker was highly rated as a midfielder at Hartlepool, but now we seem to have a surplus of players in that position. The introduction of Green has had a positive effect on those players alongside him and with Wintle and Jones returning, I cannot see Walker making the team anytime soon.

Signing walker was not a mistake, he was signed as a midfielder and I think that's where he should be playing, he filled in at centre half and did OK but with Jones leaving at the end of the season and some players being out of contract then he is not out of the picture but maybe a little out of favour at the moment. Greene has done OK since coming on loan although he was poor against Coventry and Forest Green and I think his experience has ben welcomed but I hope we don't sign him at the expense of Walker and Wintle, I know he is out of contract with Oldham so he could sign with us for next season but I'm not totally convinced, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    Signing walker was not a mistake, he was signed as a midfielder and I think that's where he should be playing, he filled in at centre half and did OK but with Jones leaving at the end of the season and some players being out of contract then he is not out of the picture but maybe a little out of favour at the moment. Greene has done OK since coming on loan although he was poor against Coventry and Forest Green and I think his experience has ben welcomed but I hope we don't sign him at the expense of Walker and Wintle, I know he is out of contract with Oldham so he could sign with us for next season but I'm not totally convinced, yet.
    He was poor against Coventry, but so was everyone else really. I thought he was good against FGR and personally I would welcome us signing him. Walker looks decent overall but needs to do more to hold down a place anywhere in the team.

Walker could be a decent midfielder but it would depend how the team was set up. He is slow to turn and hasn't displayed much proactivity in his play. However, it could be argued that he hasn't been given an extended run at any one position yet. One thing that I will stick my neck out about is that he's definitely not a fullback!

Walker had attracted plaudits whilst playing for a Hartlepool side heading for non-league, and I was pleased that Crewe had signed him. I recall that his early performances this season had attracted praise from posters here, but he seems to have faded somewhat. He looks worth persisting with and, as gazan has said, he warrants an extended run in one position. I fully agree that he is not a FB. As far Green, he has provided an experienced head in midfield and has played well in the majority of his appearances (I am relying on reports posted here as I cannot get to many games). Given the predominantly young midfield, it may be that Artell is considering signing him at the end of the season, and I expect he is already working through his list of preferred signings.

I believe he has a 2 year contract

To me he currently looks too cumbersome to be a midfielder, or maybe he needs to lose a little weight and do more conditioning. He clearly has ability, as a couple of substitute appearances in midfield proved, and he was by no means disgraced as a CH personally he looks more secure than Raynes and maybe DA sees a future for him there.

I think our improvement has come as a result of more pace through the side in recent weeks, be it Gorgeous George at CH, Pickering or Lowery in CM or Miller, Bowery and others up front. There are plenty of sides in our division who have a fair number of lummoxes on the pitch, lump it forward and fight for the second ball - we tried that and were rubbish at it. The signing of Green has helped fill the gap between the defence and more attacking midfielders and we have won by playing better football than the opposition. Of course, this is a riskier strategy than the long ball stuff and has led to a few disappointments, but it seems right to persevere with both now and next season. What would you rather watch? Newport County, Yeovil or recent Alex? I know my answer.

Think he must have had an injury as well being a bit out of favour - played in last U23 game but missed the one before that. Don't know about this week's.

I like Walker....I think he has a decent first touch and is a good passer. His main flaw is that he can be a bit laboured in possession and comes across like he's always in 2nd gear. I'd play him as a DM just in front of the back four, where he has time on the ball.