+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Starting line up v Italy

Starting line up v Italy

Well I matched 4/11 with the actual side selected to start v Holland so here goes for Italy

GK Butland (ok we knew that already)
    Centrebacks Tarkowski Stones Maguire
    Wingbacks Walker Rose
    Midfield Dele Alli Henderson Lingard
    Forwards Vardy Rashford

Having Pope and Tarks chosen for a useless friendly, is a recipe for disaster.More possible injuries for the team.Hopefully they are not
    considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Turfmoore View Post
    Having Pope and Tarks chosen for a useless friendly, is a recipe for disaster.More possible injuries for the team.Hopefully they are not
    considered.
    I take your point Turfmoore but unless players make themselves available for friendlies they are unlikely to get picked for tournament internationals. It is clear Pope and Tarka would both love to pull on an England jersey.

Do we all think Cahill is finished now then as one of our CB's ?.
    Hes out of favour at Chelski but for me hes still a good shout as one of the older heads in the squad.
    And I still don't see the appeal to Henderson in our midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Do we all think Cahill is finished now then as one of our CB's ?.
    Hes out of favour at Chelski but for me hes still a good shout as one of the older heads in the squad.
    And I still don't see the appeal to Henderson in our midfield.
    Cahill is still only 32 and I can’t fathom why he has fallen out of favour at club or country level. Henderson is a bit of a marmite figure. Love him or loathe him. Basically he is a defensive central midfielder. If you are looking for someone more attack minded who can also contribute goals it probably isn’t him.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Cahill is still only 32 and I can’t fathom why he has fallen out of favour at club or country level. Henderson is a bit of a marmite figure. Love him or loathe him. Basically he is a defensive central midfielder. If you are looking for someone more attack minded who can also contribute goals it probably isn’t him.
    I'm not a big fan of Henderson but I don't know who replaces him, I like Jack Cork, he's a similar player, but he's not really good enough for England. I've seen Wilshere have a couple of cracking games for Arsenal recently and was thinking he'd be worth another go, but he's injured again, it's hardly worth putting him on the plane to Russia. It highlights the real problem Southgate has, Henderson is our best in that position, but he's never going to shine when/if we get to the later stages of the World Cup, the better teams will outclass us in midfield, and there's nowt Southgate can do about it.

I haven't been too impressed with Stonesy yet in the Prem & in Intl's. But who knows eh, maybe a good world cup for him will finally kickstart his career.
    We do have Alli as a midfield attacking threat, and Lalana, Sterling, Ox Chamberlain, & maybe even Townsend again. I don't look at any of these as strikers by the way, either midfielders or wingers.

Sorry posted separately as could t see this thread

Gareth Southgate is reportedly set to hand England debuts to Burnley defender James Tarkowski and Swansea centre-back Alfie Mawson in Tuesday’s friendly against Italy.

An injury crisis at the back means the two uncapped Premier League players could get the nod against the Azzurri at Wembley.

Joe Gomez has been ruled out of the game after suffering an ankle injury early on in Friday’s 1-0 win over the Netherlands. He withdrew from the squad on Sunday and will have a scan with Liverpool on Monday amid fears he has suffered ligament damage.

Meanwhile, Leicester’s Harry Maguire is also doubt having been replaced late in Friday’s victory with a tight hamstring.

And, according to the Times, that has opened the door for Tarkowski and Mawson to make their first senior appearances in an England shirt.

https://talksport.com/football/engla...mbley-friendly

If only Butland tweaked something too!

Ok it WAS a friendly against Italy etc, so lets try to take it as it is.
    It annoys me that this new VAR has gone against us tonight, whether it was a pen or not and I dont think it was actually. Their player might have got his foot trodden on but it was accidental and as usual he went down like he'd been shot. Surely refs should take player reactions into account when giving pens or not, and none of their players seemed to appeal for it when it happened.

However, as the second half wore on I was telling myself its a matter of time before they do eventually score.... and they did prove me right sadly.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)