+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: kevs after match comments

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Are you sure he wanted to change things in January? He and Alan Hardy weren't exactly breaking pots in their rush. Two unneeded midfielders who cannot keep a place in the first team and a loanee striker known to be injury-prone who lasted a game and a half. A real difference they've made, we haven't looked better, League 1 here we come! - or is it League 2 here we stay?
    I'd guess the problem with recruitment would be inexperience in dealing with agents and how to negotiate deals. That's a process we're going to have to go through, but are we going to allow it?

There isn't one Notts fan here under the age of 50 plus who would recognize steady progress, if that's what we're seeing, because we have no reference points for it.

Warnock wasn't steady progress, I remember going to Chesterfield's old ground in February 1989 and coming back home worrying that I'd soon be watching Notts in the basement division for the first time. Just over two years later I was watching us kick off the new season at Old Trafford having witnessed us win at Wembley not once, but twice! That's instant success beyond your wildest dreams. Munto was surreal, the Allardyce season smashed club as well as national records.

We don't know what a realistic process of improving the club feels like. I think that's why there's this sense of panic. What's going on? At Notts we're either smashing it or being smashed. How can there possibly be anything inbetween? If we miss out on promotion, we must be doomed, right? And to be honest, that's how I feel too, because it's Notts bloody County.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I'd guess the problem with recruitment would be inexperience in dealing with agents and how to negotiate deals. That's a process we're going to have to go through, but are we going to allow it?

There isn't one Notts fan here under the age of 50 plus who would recognize steady progress, if that's what we're seeing, because we have no reference points for it.

Warnock wasn't steady progress, I remember going to Chesterfield's old ground in February 1989 and coming back home worrying that I'd soon be watching Notts in the basement division for the first time. Just over two years later I was watching us kick off the new season at Old Trafford having witnessed us win at Wembley not once, but twice! That's instant success beyond your wildest dreams. Munto was surreal, the Allardyce season smashed club as well as national records.

We don't know what a realistic process of improving the club feels like. I think that's why there's this sense of panic. What's going on? At Notts we're either smashing it or being smashed. How can there possibly be anything inbetween? If we miss out on promotion, we must be doomed, right? And to be honest, that's how I feel too, because it's Notts bloody County.
    I love this post. Captures my mood exactly.

This.

I'd also just add that our form before xmas notwithstanding, it was too much to expect that KN (and AH) wouldn't slip up. They're both new to their roles. The hope is they're both learning quickly - not least about transfers. I also agree that we ended the January window with a weakened squad (as it turned out), but that's not unusual for Notts
    Last edited by SolSigns; 26-03-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Are you sure he wanted to change things in January? He and Alan Hardy weren't exactly breaking pots in their rush. Two unneeded midfielders who cannot keep a place in the first team and a loanee striker known to be injury-prone who lasted a game and a half. A real difference they've made, we haven't looked better, League 1 here we come! - or is it League 2 here we stay?
    Yes, I think the intention was there - although the recruitment was pretty poor as you say. When the window closed, he spoke about 'integrating different type of players'. Bennett was going to first choice (he was on the day he was injured) and instead of replacing Yates like for like he was hoping the likes of Husin, Virtue, Noble playing behind Bennett would allow us to change the style and play with more fluency and penetration. That's what I think based on what he was saying in interviews at the time.
    Of course, it all went tits up very quickly (Bennett hamstrung, refusing to pick Forte and none of those midfielders finding any real form). So it's back to Ameobi, Stead, Hawkridge etc and a direct style of play using Ameobi and Stead's only strength - winning a few free kicks, so making us more like a grid iron or rugby team playing for yardage!
    If you thought this was his chosen style you'd think twice before buying a season ticket. But I think next season will be different and we'll see a better brand of football. That's just my take on things anyway.

I agree with sidders and others that this is worth another re-post. It's probably a fair assessment, but it also illustrates the dangers of the club owner making decisions based on fans' mood swings, as Ray Trew tended to do. Alan Hardy needs to take a calm, long-term view and back his manager, whatever the eventual outcome of this season, and I'm sure he will do.

Kevin Nolan achieved a remarkable turnaround to save us from relegation last season, and continued that fine form into this season. Since winter we've been showing mid-table form rather than promotion form, but that's no reason for panic, or even disappointment.

The club is in much better shape than it was 12 months ago, which is largely attributable to the improvement Nolan has managed to coax out of players who almost took us down last season, plus quite a few successful new signings.

Nolan hasn't been perfect, one or two of his signings haven't quite come off (yet) and occasionally he's made the wrong tactical decisions, but that's what you expect from a young manager (and most old, experienced ones to be fair!). He's certainly got far more right than he's got wrong, otherwise we would be in the bottom four rather than the top four.
    Last edited by jackal2; 26-03-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Yes, I think the intention was there - although the recruitment was pretty poor as you say. When the window closed, he spoke about 'integrating different type of players'. Bennett was going to first choice (he was on the day he was injured) and instead of replacing Yates like for like he was hoping the likes of Husin, Virtue, Noble playing behind Bennett would allow us to change the style and play with more fluency and penetration. That's what I think based on what he was saying in interviews at the time.
    Of course, it all went tits up very quickly (Bennett hamstrung, refusing to pick Forte and none of those midfielders finding any real form). So it's back to Ameobi, Stead, Hawkridge etc and a direct style of play using Ameobi and Stead's only strength - winning a few free kicks, so making us more like a grid iron or rugby team playing for yardage!
    If you thought this was his chosen style you'd think twice before buying a season ticket. But I think next season will be different and we'll see a better brand of football. That's just my take on things anyway.
    This makes me wonder why Nolan won't give Forte a start. I know he's not the most prolific goalscorer but play him in the middle and he does have the pace to outrun defenders or at least shield the ball and drag them away from the action. This gives the three midfielders you mention (or pick your own three out of fif****) time and space to catch up, pass the ball around a bit ON THE GROUND and supply the ball to whoever else is in space and whose nose is pointing at the goal.

3-5-2, It's the way forward.

This makes me wonder why Nolan won't give Forte a start. I know he's not the most prolific goalscorer but play him in the middle and he does have the pace to outrun defenders or at least shield the ball and drag them away from the action. This gives the three midfielders you mention (or pick your own three out of fif****) time and space to catch up, pass the ball around a bit ON THE GROUND and supply the ball to whoever else is in space and whose nose is pointing at the goal.

3-5-2, It's the way forward.
    Not exactly going flat out for promotion though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43541613

This makes me wonder why Nolan won't give Forte a start.
    I think the reason is that he's not very good. He seems to be being promoted as some sort of saviour of our season on the basis that he can run fast and can't be any worse than Stead and Ameobi, rather than anything he's shown when he has been given a start. In my opinion he is a definite third choice (out of three) in the striking department.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think the reason is that he's not very good. He seems to be being promoted as some sort of saviour of our season on the basis that he can run fast and can't be any worse than Stead and Ameobi, rather than anything he's shown when he has been given a start. In my opinion he is a definite third choice (out of three) in the striking department.
    Bit of a straw man there Elite. I don’t think anyone would promote Forte as the saviour of anything, but Callum Saunders would have been an improvement on our feeble attempts at attacking yesterday.

Our build up play was pretty much non existent as well but at least Forte may have been able to chase some of the hoofs, the two we had were about as mobile as the Slab Square lions. He’s a better finisher than Shola as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Bit of a straw man there Elite. I don’t think anyone would promote Forte as the saviour of anything, but Callum Saunders would have been an improvement on our feeble attempts at attacking yesterday.
    I'd say your statement about Callum Saunders is an ideal example of a straw man argument. Why would he have been an improvement when there was no service? Saying "he couldn't be any worse" doesn't mean that he would be any better.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Our build up play was pretty much non existent as well but at least Forte may have been able to chase some of the hoofs, the two we had were about as mobile as the Slab Square lions. He’s a better finisher than Shola as well.
    He might have chased the hoofs, but past evidence suggests he wouldn't have done anything positive with them. Debateable whether he is a better finisher than Shola, but his overall game offers much less to the team. I'm pretty sure if you polled all League 2 defenders on which of the pair they would rather face, the name 'Forte' would win by a landslide.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast