+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: National Leagues - Play off format

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Although I agree that the new format does seem fairer I must say that imo the Play Offs are a brilliant addition to the season, the clubs know the rules before the season starts & it prolongs the seasons interest for so many teams, our league would be all but over if it was just auto.
    Why would it? Surely if play offs were scrapped the top 4 would be automatically promoted from League 2?

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Although I agree that the new format does seem fairer I must say that imo the Play Offs are a brilliant addition to the season, the clubs know the rules before the season starts & it prolongs the seasons interest for so many teams, our league would be all but over if it was just auto.
    I'm with you on this Ancient - love the play offs (I'd even like a regular/post-season system like in U.S sports). When you know the rules of the comp before you start, you can't say it's unfair. If you're good enough, then prove it over two-legged play-offs.
    But this new format seems like play-offs organised by people who'd rather not have play-offs at all.

One thought - imagine what it'd be like to finish 4th and be turned over at home by 7th in front of a full house. Done. Out. No chance to make amends.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Why would it? Surely if play offs were scrapped the top 4 would be automatically promoted from League 2?
    Totally agree. Fourth place have deserved the promotion over the season. Playoffs generate more cash, but not entirely fair IMO. (although everyone knows the rules at beginning of season etc)

Fourth place always used to get automatic promotion in the days before playoffs were invented in the mid 1980s. I don’t like the playoff system but it’s unrealistic to think that the EFL will ever ditch it, because of the money involved.

To me, the new format in the National League looks like an improvement, especially as all the ties are decided over one leg. Two-legged ties often result in sterile football.

Because teams that are within a few points of 4th place with only 5/6 games to go have something to play for and keep the fans interested, look at our league Colchester in 11th place have still got an outside chance of reaching the play offs with 7 games to go. If the first 4 go up automatically the season is finished for clubs like them and the fans get bored and stay away.

The play-offs make money and create entertainment, so in that sense I like them and I don't expect they are with us forever in a variety of different formats. However, I think there has to be serious doubt about whether a team finishing as low as 7th in the National league is anywhere near good enough for League Two, so there's a question mark about whether it is best for the competitive nature of either division.

Traditionally it was two up two down (apart from division 4), it was only 12 years before the play-offs were introduced that they increased it to three in 1973/74. Had play-offs been introduced at the same time as the increase, it would have been viewed as a bonus promotion spot and much less of an injustice if the 3rd place team didn't go up (because they never had until that point).

I believe play-offs have played a very big part in reversing the decline in attendances, which hit rock bottom the season before they were introduced. It would be madness to scrap them.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    You get the home advantage because you finished higher in the league than your opponent. Makes perfect sense to me.
    Ah yes, I hadn't registered that. Makes sense then.

Here is a thought. Playoffs can decide a promotion. Why not have playoffs to avoid relegation?
    I.E. our division bottom 2 automatically relegated. Why not look at the bottom 3? The 3rd and 2nd bottom teams play a one off at 3rd bottoms ground. Finances split like the FA Cup.
    Just a thought to make things more interesting at both ends of the table.

Here is a thought. Playoffs can decide a promotion. Why not have playoffs to avoid relegation?
    I.E. our division bottom 2 automatically relegated. Why not look at the bottom 3? The 3rd and 2nd bottom teams play a one off at 3rd bottoms ground. Finances split like the FA Cup.
    Just a thought to make things more interesting at both ends of the table.
    I think a play off to avoid relegation has already happened. If I remember correctly, when the play off system first started it involved the three teams below the automatic promotion places and the team who finished just above the relegation places in the division above.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast