+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Leagues - Play off format

National Leagues - Play off format

What do you think about the new play offs in the conference and National leagues north and south?

4th v 7th, 5th v 6th - one leg only at 4th/5th's ground.
    Then winners go to 2nd and 3rd, one leg only. Then, the one-game final.

I like that there's something to play for down to 7th, but the home advantage? You can hardly call them 'play-offs'. And no home game for the fans of 6th and 7th...

How would you like this in L2?

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    What do you think about the new play offs in the conference and National leagues north and south?

I like that there's something to play for down to 7th, but the home advantage? You can hardly call them 'play-offs'. And no home game for the fans of 6th and 7th...

Hardly seems fair to give a home advantage does it. Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Hardly seems fair to give a home advantage does it. Ouch!

You get the home advantage because you finished higher in the league than your opponent. Makes perfect sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post

Much prefer this format, gives a proper advantage to the team finishing higher up the league over the course of the whole season.

Are there replays for drawn games or is it straight to ET and pens?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Much prefer this format, gives a proper advantage to the team finishing higher up the league over the course of the whole season.
    Agreed. The system in use in our division gives the 7th placed team the same chance of going up as the 4th placed team even though they could have finished 15 points behind them in the table. This new format rightly takes more notice of performance over the season - the higher you finish, the easier your route to the play-off final.

Yes, i like this system. Rewarding those that finish higher over a season, much better.

I’ve never been a fan of the play-offs, as I think promotion should be decided based on the results over the season.

In our back-to back promotions under Warnock we were way ahead of the teams we met in the semi and final. I would have felt aggrieved if we had lost to any of them.

1989/90
    Semi v Bolton (-18 points)
    Final v Tranmere (-7 points)

1990/91
    Semi v Middlesbrough (-11 points)
    Final v Brighton (-10 points)

As ncfcog says, at least this new format gives the team who finished highest an advantage.

I think it’s fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    I’ve never been a fan of the play-offs, as I think promotion should be decided based on the results over the season.

In our back-to back promotions under Warnock we were way ahead of the teams we met in the semi and final. I would have felt aggrieved if we had lost to any of them.

1989/90
    Semi v Bolton (-18 points)
    Final v Tranmere (-7 points)

1990/91
    Semi v Middlesbrough (-11 points)
    Final v Brighton (-10 points)

As ncfcog says, at least this new format gives the team who finished highest an advantage.
    Although I agree that the new format does seem fairer I must say that imo the Play Offs are a brilliant addition to the season, the clubs know the rules before the season starts & it prolongs the seasons interest for so many teams, our league would be all but over if it was just auto.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast