+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Raheem Sterling - deluded or just stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    I am a neutral here but I can tell you one thing for sure... Sterling is total pants... maybe has 5 minutes in a game where he does something, he is in a team of amazing players so that hides his own failings but now he regards himself as a world beater also, to blame the fans for the national teams failings is down right bizarre, he must be listening to the delusional Guardiola who is a total tool once he opens his trap.
    Yes what does that Pep fellow know? Keeps picking him every week when the bloke is useless, absolutely disgusting should be sacked. And he as the audacity to keep scoring and making important goals the mans a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Yes what does that Pep fellow know? Keeps picking him every week when the bloke is useless, absolutely disgusting should be sacked. And he as the audacity to keep scoring and making important goals the mans a joke.
    Fair enough point, but the purpose of this post wasn't really about the ability of Raheem Sterling, more about his (and other England players) mindset. I can only go back to our last game in a major tournament against Iceland as a perfect example. I watched that game in a bar abroad with horror and deep embarrassment, just glad that I hadn't packed an England shirt. Iceland were a distinctly moderate team, but they deservedly beat us simply because they wanted it more, no other reason. It was like a non-league team beating a team three divisions above them in the FA cup. I can take defeat through lack of ability, but not through lack of guts and effort. Iceland were flying into challenges, we just expected our superior squad (and it was superior) would take us through. It didn't, because we were gutless, spineless, and looked like a bunch of vastly overpaid prima donnas who expected it to happen rather than having the balls to make it happen. Blaming the fans, who have offered superb vocal support in the main seems an abdication of all personal responsibility.

Elite was spot on with his original assessment and the retort to 1961. I'd say Sterling, like most other Prem players has skill & ability. He has, consistently failed to deploy those attributes in an England shirt. Ironically, tonight he has looked sharper and more effective in a lively line up. He still has a tendency to overdo it, waste possession and run into blind alleys - which is not particularly helpful. The

Plus, for 1961's benefit - yes, he can play but he is fortunate to play alongside some of the most cultured and talented players at City. They can afford to have him, almost as a luxury, to get on the end of their sublime moves. I'd guess most of his goals are tap ins from 6 yards or less, don't know for sure but my recollections from MOTD suggest that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Hmmm, Irish, that must be why his players turn out such crap performances and Man City are struggling to open up a 20 point gap.
    Hey Sid I never once said he was a bad manager I just said he spouts some crap to the media, like when he said he could not fill the bench for a game when he had near 20 reserve team players that would of gave their left leg to even make the first team bench... as for Sterling... I don't rate the guy but he is actually having a good game tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    Elite was spot on with his original assessment and the retort to 1961. I'd say Sterling, like most other Prem players has skill & ability. He has, consistently failed to deploy those attributes in an England shirt. Ironically, tonight he has looked sharper and more effective in a lively line up. He still has a tendency to overdo it, waste possession and run into blind alleys - which is not particularly helpful. The

Plus, for 1961's benefit - yes, he can play but he is fortunate to play alongside some of the most cultured and talented players at City. They can afford to have him, almost as a luxury, to get on the end of their sublime moves. I'd guess most of his goals are tap ins from 6 yards or less, don't know for sure but my recollections from MOTD suggest that is the case.
    Ha-ha, Jimmy Greaves and Gary Linekar were renound for their ''tap ins'' from 6 yards or less. You have to get into those positions to score, and Pep who is probably the best manager in world league football wouldn't pick a luxury. Ok if you don't like the guy but don't try and twist things to suit.

I'm afraid to compare Sterling to Greaves or Lineker is complete nonsense. Initially because he isn't in the same class as a finisher and moreover because he has failed to deliver at international level full stop, they are amongst the top 4 or 5 strikers we have ever produced.

Just because you rate him don't overhyoe his talents or try to presume what his manager actually thinks about him. If I had the players he has to utlise then I might use a pacy bloke who will lose the ball more often than not but can get into the box and pick up scraps & tap ins that his more effective & influential colleagues can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    I'm afraid to compare Sterling to Greaves or Lineker is complete nonsense. Initially because he isn't in the same class as a finisher and moreover because he has failed to deliver at international level full stop, they are amongst the top 4 or 5 strikers we have ever produced.

Just because you rate him don't overhyoe his talents or try to presume what his manager actually thinks about him. If I had the players he has to utlise then I might use a pacy bloke who will lose the ball more often than not but can get into the box and pick up scraps & tap ins that his more effective & influential colleagues can provide.
    I am not comparing him to them or anyone else, I was deriding a poster who claims he only scores tap ins as if they don't matter.
    I am not a great fan of his but he is having a good season with Man City and it is foolish imo to say otherwise. And I also don't think the manager would pick anyone for the reasons you state, but it is all about opinions. I am sure City supporters who see him every week might have a different view to us.

Who suggested "they (tap ins) don't matter"? I'd simply challenge you to contradict what Elite, Irish, me & others have posted about the inconsistency, application/attitude and

As I, very clearly, stated - he is skilful and talented but that doesn't make him the dog's wotsits that some pundits, columnists and erstwhile fans seem to think. That was the general point but you appear to have missed it.

The reasons England haven't done well at a major tournament for a while:

1) Premier League is the most demanding league physically and mentally. Even the foreign players who play in the Prem then go to a major have always failed to impress...Hazard just being one example and there's many more. Just too late to be bothered to think.

2) Too much pressure from the media. The crap rags always roll out the pressure before a tournament and it never helps. In Italia '90, Bobby Robson but a ban on player/media integration and it's the best we've done in a World Cup since 1966.

3) England are always seen as targets to beat because of our 'prestigious' Premier League. Plus the fact that we're warmongering, USA arse licking *******s who seem to have no identity any more.

4) Our players are average-good and we are bottlers.

5) Most other European leagues have a winter break, giving their players more time to recover.

6) Outside Europe, the world cup falls at a better time for South American teams as they are well in to their stride by this point, not knackered at the end of a demanding season.

Having said all this, I quite like the fact that Southgate is giving the youth a good run out and our pool of players for this World Cup isn't actually looking too shabby.

Thing is guys. Don't expect anything. Then you'll never be disappointed.

... I gave up counting the number of times he pranced about when in possession giving it 3 or 4 or more touches allowing Italy to regain defensive positions, let alone his misplaced passes. The commentary team did their evidently pre-determined best to 'big him up' - ha ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast