+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Raheem Sterling - deluded or just stupid?

... off the point of this topic, but has Stones attended the R Duffy School of Defending? ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    Who suggested "they (tap ins) don't matter"? I'd simply challenge you to contradict what Elite, Irish, me & others have posted about the inconsistency, application/attitude and

As I, very clearly, stated - he is skilful and talented but that doesn't make him the dog's wotsits that some pundits, columnists and erstwhile fans seem to think. That was the general point but you appear to have missed it.
    If you are talking about his England form then I will agree with you but I was replying to a poster who was saying he was crap for Man City or words to that effect and this is clearly untrue this season imo. so it is you that has missed the point if you read what Irish Pie said.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    It's not the media he's whining about though, is it? As EP says, not many national teams get the support that England does and that support comes from the fans, not the media.
    Really?

Startling but not surprising coming from a farmer giles type.

Do the media not influence public opinion any more or was I born in another dimension?

Elite was spot on with his original assessment and the retort to 1961. I'd say Sterling, like most other Prem players has skill & ability. He has, consistently failed to deploy those attributes in an England shirt. Ironically, tonight he has looked sharper and more effective in a lively line up. He still has a tendency to overdo it, waste possession and run into blind alleys - which is not particularly helpful. The

Plus, for 1961's benefit - yes, he can play but he is fortunate to play alongside some of the most cultured and talented players at City. They can afford to have him, almost as a luxury, to get on the end of their sublime moves. I'd guess most of his goals are tap ins from 6 yards or less, don't know for sure but my recollections from MOTD suggest that is the case.
    and he as not scored for England for over 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Really?

Startling but not surprising coming from a farmer giles type.

Do the media not influence public opinion any more or was I born in another dimension?
    From a "farmer giles type" to a queen type.

As far as I know he didn't mention the press, if you think the media influence the public, fair enough but address your sarcastic comments to Raheem Stirling from your other dimension, tell him to include the media when he has a moan. And be polite.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    If you are talking about his England form then I will agree with you but I was replying to a poster who was saying he was crap for Man City or words to that effect and this is clearly untrue this season imo. so it is you that has missed the point if you read what Irish Pie said.
    Just for accuracy 1961: No, you replied to my post and included the quote - see post #25. You may have wanted to debate with Irish but, as I say, your retort was directed towards my post. I'm glad you now acknowledge that he has been largely ineffective for
    England, which is where I started.

Just for accuracy 1961: No, you replied to my post and included the quote - see post #25. You may have wanted to debate with Irish but, as I say, your retort was directed towards my post. I'm glad you now acknowledge that he has been largely ineffective for
    England, which is where I started.
    For accuracy as you put it my first response was to Irish pie and him alone about his Man City form it was you who decided to mentioned me in post 23. I didn't join in the original debate because I agree with Elite about his England form along with other posters.

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has commented on here regarding the VAR penalty last night, so I'll go first. It was a decision that didn't matter as it was only a meaningless friendly, but it was an ideal example as to why we are nowhere near ready to let this so-called 'improvement' anywhere near the game of football yet. If that really was a 'clear and obvious' correction of a refereeing error, then Soccerman is a Momentum member. It was just about as 'grey area' as you can get. A player runs into a crowd of defenders, and whether he is cynically hacked down at the knees, feels a bit of contact, or feels no contact at all he is going to go down anyway. It's what is often described as clever play in other countries, but basically it's cheating. The video replay system works well in cricket as the pause between balls gives time to review, but even then any borderline decisions go to "umpire's call". FIFA still have an awful lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that no-one has commented on here regarding the VAR penalty last night, so I'll go first. It was a decision that didn't matter as it was only a meaningless friendly, but it was an ideal example as to why we are nowhere near ready to let this so-called 'improvement' anywhere near the game of football yet. If that really was a 'clear and obvious' correction of a refereeing error, then Soccerman is a Momentum member. It was just about as 'grey area' as you can get. A player runs into a crowd of defenders, and whether he is cynically hacked down at the knees, feels a bit of contact, or feels no contact at all he is going to go down anyway. It's what is often described as clever play in other countries, but basically it's cheating. The video replay system works well in cricket as the pause between balls gives time to review, but even then any borderline decisions go to "umpire's call". FIFA still have an awful lot to learn.
    Spot on - absolutely correct.

The penalty was bizarre, no clear intent, a lot of legs coming together and an Italian going down far too easily having lost control of the ball. The VAR analysis forensically shows Tarkowski's boot "making contact" - why pundits and even ex ref's like Poll refer to that phrase is scary. As Elite says, that was just about as grey as it gets. Making contact" does not mean it is a penalty. There was no obvious deliberate intent and it was more innocuous than most of the melees that occur at every set piece.

That sort of decision, (he saw it and it wasn't a clear penalty, end of story), has to be the referee's call in football, otherwise why not just control the whole thing from an office?

As soon as that penalty was given I switched off and lost all interest in the game as a spectacle... which I wouldn't have done if the ref had mistakenly (IMO) awarded a pen.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast