+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nazi Dug Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    People are still telling offensive jokes & not ending up in front of a judge
    We were speaking about offensive jokes in work the other day and even my boss was getting in on the act. When numpties start putting jokes on coupon-book it can become a mine field. Before they know it one of their several hundred "friends" is offended and then the whole world knows about it. I guess it comes down to knowing your audience and knowing the boundaries (all grey area)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMBO_86 View Post
    We were speaking about offensive jokes in work the other day and even my boss was getting in on the act. When numpties start putting jokes on coupon-book it can become a mine field. Before they know it one of their several hundred "friends" is offended and then the whole world knows about it. I guess it comes down to knowing your audience and knowing the boundaries (all grey area)
    Everything should be put in context and proportion but rarely is. That's why the law should remain as objective as possible and shouldn't get involved unless the speech declares an intent or incitement to physical violence or spills over into harassment.

Mason, this is different question to someone handing out physical copies of political material. The problem is that even after two+ decades of the internet, as a society we still haven't figured out how to manage behaviour on the internet. It's much easier to manage someone who acts like a c*** in public than someone who acts like a c*** on the internet. Poorly worded and poorly applied laws are not the solution.

What makes this case silly is that there is far more offensive material out there so the application of law here is seemingly arbitrary given that there was no threat of direct harm to anyone as a result of said video. That should concern everyone because in an increasingly polarised political environment vague laws can be used to single out individuals for legal sanction.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    The problem is that even after two+ decades of the internet, as a society we still haven't figured out how to manage behaviour on the internet. It's much easier to manage someone who acts like a c*** in public than someone who acts like a c*** on the internet. Poorly worded and poorly applied laws are not the solution.
    Agree with that.

Going completely off topic for a sec, just as wee footnote to the BNP chap. He told me that Nick Griffin was roundly despised by his own party as well as everyone else. The suggestion being that when he attacks the gay community, he may be being a bit of a hypocrite

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234