+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Players for next season

Throughout the season we have had 39 registered players (including first year pros & Nolan & Edwards). This for a team that doesn't even have a reserve team (until next season). Sadly I think we need a good clear out. We would have been better this season with a squad of 25 but using the the other wages to increase the quality slightly. Only five players (I think) are under contract for next season (Hewitt, Alessandra, Hawkridge, Noble and Husin) so plenty of scope to clear out the players who have not been good enough for the first team this season.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    What an arrogant pr@tt you are. New breed? I was watching Notts while you were still $hitting yellow. What event? Do you mean when Bennet was predictably injured? Now tell me how I can speak loudly in print, then post your second paragraph to any one of the many who have the independant nerve, not to say cheek, not say what you want them to. You sad person, I expect you cry when you read anything that doesn't praise Notts to high heaven.
    Well l saw my first Notts Match October 1950 as a. 5 year old, arroogant pr@tt or not.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Really??? You think I’m happy with everything going on with the team? It’s called balance, something you can’t deal with, bedwetting, toys out the pram from afar at the slightest thing just makes you look even more ridiculous than your posts. As I said in another post you surround yourself with negative people ultimately you get dragged down to their level.

Come the end of the season and where we end up is all that matters, at the moment we are in a good position with a few games to go, ‘ if you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change ‘ try it!!
    Precisely. My thoughts to.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I know it's too early to say as we still have an outside chance of promotion, but surely Nolo is starting to think which of the current squad he wants to stick around for next season. I have no idea who is out of contract and who isn't, but here are the players I would want to keep.

Fitzsimmons - the red card was ridiculous, but he's a decent young keeper.
    Jones - quality left back on his day
    Brisley - solid lower-league CB
    Tootle - a bit off the boil recently but still a good RB at this level
    Hewitt - probably our most valuable player and will only improve
    Noble - I think there's more to come from him (he's defo under contract next season as well)
    Husin - some great games and some awful ones, but plenty of potential
    O'Connor - if he can regain his fitness and form

That's it. The rest can go. As much as I respect the likes of Shola and Stead, it's time they moved on. Either would be OK as a bit-part players, but they are probably some of our highest earners. The likes of Hawkridge, Allesandra, Dickinson and Collin simply aren't good enough.

This summer is a big one. The squad needs overhauling, but we need to keep (or reignite) the team spirit and passion that made us so successful earlier this season.

Exactly this. Everyone else can go. Midfield is essentially OK, but thats it. New Keeper, Defence, and definitely Strikers.
    Id even consider a switch to 352 with wingbacks of Tootle and Jones next season

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    Well l saw my first Notts Match October 1950 as a. 5 year old, arroogant pr@tt or not.
    There's no "...or not" about this, you were definitely and unneccessarily rude and as a 73 year old coming on to 14 years of age it's time you grew up, learned some manners, responded to other's posts respectfully and behaved politely.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    There's no "...or not" about this, you were definitely and unneccessarily rude and as a 73 year old coming on to 14 years of age it's time you grew up, learned some manners, responded to other's posts respectfully and behaved politely.

I bet you have really upset him now ....

I love my team. Any old bag of ****e will do me for the squad.

I've just gone through the squad and, after earlier saying i'd be tempted to keep 75% of them it's actually more like 50%. Mainly because we've been carrying a lot of squad players this season who aren't actually in the first-team and thus i've totally forgotten about:

KEEPERS

Collin – Stay (unless he’s on big money)
    Fitzsimmons – Stay
    Pindroch – Go
    Searson-Smithard – Stay and become new 3rd choice

* No need to sign any new keepers, three is enough.

DEFENDERS

Tootle – Keep
    Dickinson – Go (unless he re-signs on back-up wages)
    Duffy – Go (unless he re-signs on back-up wages)
    Brisley – Keep
    Hunt – Go
    Jones – Keep
    Bird – Keep as back-up

* Sign 2 new CBs, a RB and a LB.

MIDFIELDERS

Hewitt – Keep (our most consistent and valuable player – consider making him captain)
    O’Conner – Go (unless he re-signs on back-up wages)
    Hawkridge – Keep
    Hodge – Go
    Thompson – Go (unless he’s actually going to get a chance)
    Noble – Keep
    Walker – Go
    Husin – Keep
    Milsom – Go
    Alessandra – Keep

* Sign two new wingers and an AM to replace Grant

FORWARDS

Shola/ Stead – Like others, I’d keep one of the two on for continuity. Maybe even both as long as they’re not actually playing every week.
    Forte – Go
    Saunders – Go

* Sign three, maybe four new forward options.

LOAN PLAYERS

I'm fairly sure we won't keep or re-sign any of them. Obvs you'd take Hall and Grant again if possible though.

YOUNG UNS

Dunno. There's a few round the squad like Howes, Richards, Osbourne, Brown-Hill and Dearle, but no idea how good any of them are.

OLDIES

Smith/ Edwards/ Nolan – Time to retire chaps. Or at least only ever be in the squad in the case of an extreme emergency crisis.
    Last edited by DaveSmithRules; 02-04-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    I've just gone through the squad and, after earlier saying i'd be tempted to keep 75% of them it's actually more like 50%. Mainly because we've been carrying a lot of squad players this season who aren't actually in the first-team and thus i've totally forgotten about:

KEEPERS

Collin – Stay (unless he’s on big money)
    Fitzsimmons – Stay
    Pindroch – Go
    Searson-Smithard – Stay and become new 3rd choice

* No need to sign any new keepers, three is enough.

DEFENDERS

Tootle – Keep
    Dickinson – Go (unless he re-signs on back-up wages)
    Duffy – Go (unless he re-signs on back-up wages)
    Brisley – Keep
    Hunt – Go
    Jones – Keep
    Bird – Keep as back-up

* Sign 2 new CBs, a RB and a LB.

MIDFIELDERS

Hewitt – Keep (our most consistent and valuable player – consider making him captain)
    O’Conner – Go (unless he re-signs on back-up wages)
    Hawkridge – Keep
    Hodge – Go
    Thompson – Go (unless he’s actually going to get a chance)
    Noble – Keep
    Walker – Go
    Husin – Keep
    Milsom – Go
    Alessandra – Keep

* Sign two new wingers and an AM to replace Grant

FORWARDS

Shola/ Stead – Like others, I’d keep one of the two on for continuity. Maybe even both as long as they’re not actually playing every week.
    Forte – Go
    Saunders – Go

* Sign three, maybe four new forward options.

LOAN PLAYERS

I'm fairly sure we won't keep or re-sign any of them. Obvs you'd take Hall and Grant again if possible though.

YOUNG UNS

Dunno. There's a few round the squad like Howes, Richards, Osbourne, Brown-Hill and Dearle, but no idea how good any of them are.

OLDIES

Smith/ Edwards/ Nolan – Time to retire chaps. Or at least only ever be in the squad in the case of an extreme emergency crisis.
    I doubt Duffy or O'Connor would take a pay cut and agree to be backup, and I doubt Nolan would go for it either. I fully expect him to keep Duffy on as first-choice CB for next season.

I can’t agree with the idea of getting rid of O’Connor. He had an indifferent start to his Notts career but in the period immediately before his injury he was a dominant force in the midfield as we climbed the table. Notts will have invested a lot of time and trouble in getting him fit again and it would be daft to chuck that away just at the point when he’s available to play again.

I think he and Hewitt could form an excellent central midfield pairing next season.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast