+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Painting my caravan decking

O/T Painting my caravan decking

Gents,

I bought a static caravan near Scarborough a couple of years ago and had a wooden veranda and decking built on one side so we'd have somewhere to sit if the temperature ever got higher than baltic.

I painted it with some stuff called Garden Shades by Cuprinol, it's supposed to protect garden sheds. fencing and outdoor timber so I thought it would be just the thing.

Just returned from a couple of days getting it ready for the new season and two years after painting it looks a mess.
    Can anybody recommend an outdoor paint (not stain) so I can give it another go this spring ? I know from reading other posts that some of you are into gardening so maybe you have outdoor painted timber ? looking around the site I'm not on my own in this, I don't know if the sea air is having an effect ?

ta in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by red flagged View Post
    Gents,

I bought a static caravan near Scarborough a couple of years ago and had a wooden veranda and decking built on one side so we'd have somewhere to sit if the temperature ever got higher than baltic.

I painted it with some stuff called Garden Shades by Cuprinol, it's supposed to protect garden sheds. fencing and outdoor timber so I thought it would be just the thing.

Just returned from a couple of days getting it ready for the new season and two years after painting it looks a mess.
    Can anybody recommend an outdoor paint (not stain) so I can give it another go this spring ? I know from reading other posts that some of you are into gardening so maybe you have outdoor painted timber ? looking around the site I'm not on my own in this, I don't know if the sea air is having an effect ?

ta in advance.
    You want a final coat of used engine oil on it flagged , any garage will give you as much as you want FOC , they'll be glad to .

Completely waterproof it is and gives the stain underneath protection from the elements .

Only problem is it takes a good week to dry completely so you need to work on that proviso before applying it the first day of a two week holiday .

Quote Originally Posted by red flagged View Post
    Gents,

ta in advance.

Sikkens make good products. Expensive mind

https://www.sikkens-wood-coatings.com/index.php

Flaking woodwork.....? Get a bottle of “Mallansshorts”
    Guaranteed that you only need to use it once
    if you use it put it on sparingly it gets good results first time..... Then you can sit on the bench for months on end, and never get a splinter in you...... if you should make mistake putting it on, and it doesn’t go right first time, you can say it’s not worth another try...and sit right back on that bench again,,,
    Last edited by Jules88; 30-03-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Never apply a water based paint , rub the wood down , then apply a clear oil based solution , 2 coats when the weather is suitable and dry , it allows the wood to breath , then put your color paint on , yours Barry Bucknall !! it does exactly warrit shunt do on the tin ,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Flaking woodwork.....? Get a bottle of “Mallansshorts”
    Guaranteed that you only need to use it once
    if you use it put it on sparingly it gets good results first time..... Then you can sit on the bench for months on end, and never get a splinter in you...... if you should make mistake putting it on, and it doesn’t go right first time, you can say it’s not worth another try...and sit right back on that bench again,,,
    Luvvit.