+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crewe 2 Vale 2

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post

Incidentally VFIP, you had a much bigger starting budget than ours and will again next season. We are this ****e on 800k, good rumour suggests yours was 1.4m to be ****ier
    How do you know what your wage bill is? Is it rumour or do you have the evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Roebuck View Post
    VFIP, trawl through the posts on here (it won’t take long!!) and find some arrogant ones. Meanwhile look at the OVF match threads. Compare and contrast. Delusions of grandeur for Vale fans doesn't even come close. Everybody else is tinpot, irrelevant , tiny etc.

I think at Crewe we all know we are supporting a small town club. I think the perception of arrogance comes from the likes of McGarry (Graham & Len!) and maybe our Chairman who always used to refer to the “Crewe way”,not necessarily the fans, although we normally have something to say about obvious hoofball tactics which has probably annoyed certain teams over the years. Certainly Walsall in the 90’s from memory.

You must admit that you Vale fans constantly go on about what a big club you are – again trawl OVF for that – something us Alex fans would find ridiculous to mention, and in terms of attendances I’ve always thought Vale have about 500 to 1,000 more than us. Yet the Alex average attendance since 2000 (as a barometer of current status etc.) is 5,500 versus Vale’s 5,150. Go figure!
    Over the last ten years our average is 5246 and your's is 4478. Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by PVFC Oldie View Post
    Over the last ten years our average is 5246 and your's is 4478. Go figure!
    Not denying that - that's what I said, I feel you tend to have about 500 to 1,000 more. So less than 1,000 more fans and every other sentence is about how irrelevant we and other clubs are and what a big club you are. In my eyes its pretty similar. As Proggs said, in the scheme of things we are both tinpot - We can admit it, but you have unbelievable delusions of grandeur. I think that's what makes you such an angry bunch. Reading through OVF, you get the feeling most of you need some kind of support counselling.

Casting my mind back over many years when Vale and Stoke were in higher divisions than us, I don't think we considered ourselves as 'rivals' even when we got promoted to the Championship and played Stoke we didn't and then as time went on and we played at a higher level than the Vale, we thought we were in some ways superior to them that probably encouraged the rivalry and competition when we started playing them on a regular basis and saw how popular both sets of fans were at home and away games. ie I suspect that is why they don't consider us as their 'rivals' or even consider it a 'derby game' like we do.. Just look at how big Vale Park is for proof of that cf with Gresty Road!

I would like to know who they consider as local rivals nowadays and what constitutes a local derby to them? eg Notts County perhaps?

It's rather foolish for Vale fans to consider Stoke as rivals now even though they too may get relegated to the Championship...imo at least.

Here's a blast from the past. I took my then girlfriend who now is my wife to I think from my memory she went to just one Alex game away and guess who that was against? Yup, it was Port Vale in the FA cup in the 1960's at their ground in Burslem and we lost 3-1 again from memory...I could check the stats to be sure though and have to say that back then I considered them to be a bigger club than us struggling in Div 4 as we did and shows how time changes the perception to many things.

I now today consider Vale as our main rivals and I suspect they think the same as us but won't admit it but how come each time they play us at Gresty Road, they sell ALL their ticket allocation? Cos they expect to beat us perhaps? .

McGarry calls it the A500 clash!

Our rivals back in the old days were Wrexham and Stockport and possibly Tranmere and Chester but again that was only recent as Chester were mostly a division above for many years too...Yes, I know, all non league now....worse luck actually as they were good competitive games...Shows we still can celebrate where we are compared with them...
    Last edited by MikeSB; 04-04-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roebuck View Post
    Not denying that - that's what I said, I feel you tend to have about 500 to 1,000 more. So less than 1,000 more fans and every other sentence is about how irrelevant we and other clubs are and what a big club you are. In my eyes its pretty similar. As Proggs said, in the scheme of things we are both tinpot - We can admit it, but you have unbelievable delusions of grandeur. I think that's what makes you such an angry bunch. Reading through OVF, you get the feeling most of you need some kind of support counselling.
    You don't recognise a piss take when you see one do you! I have never claimed Vale are a "big" club. At the moment we are both completely crap. Over the years we have been worse than Stoke but better than you. That doesn't make us a big club. What I do find amusing, however, is the insistance by your fans that there is a "Crewe Way" which appears to involve playing football on a par with Manchester City. You don't seem to realise how silly that is. There is no Crewe Way - you just bum about the lower divisions like we do with the occasional day in the sun.

You don't recognise a piss take when you see one do you! I have never claimed Vale are a "big" club. At the moment we are both completely crap. Over the years we have been worse than Stoke but better than you. That doesn't make us a big club. What I do find amusing, however, is the insistance by your fans that there is a "Crewe Way" which appears to involve playing football on a par with Manchester City. You don't seem to realise how silly that is. There is no Crewe Way - you just bum about the lower divisions like we do with the occasional day in the sun.
    I mentioned that in my first post as well - very few fans refer to a Crewe way, many are questioning the Academy approach, many still support it. You somehow listen to Mcgarry and think that we call it the Crewe way as well - bizarre. What we are proud of is the fact that when we got promoted last, half of the squad were from the local Borough. Wouldn't it be better if that was the case throughout football. That's nothing to do with playing football like Manchester City, although they looked like us tonight!

And there is the problem... "Over the years we have been worse than Stoke but better than you", a myth you like to consider true and ergo the false 'big club' mentality. In the last 22 seasons WE have been above you more than you us.

There was a Crewe way once, Dario built it and many clubs followed. Nowadays it is only usable for the amount of home growns we play in our first team, which is still the Crewe way.

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post
    And there is the problem... "Over the years we have been worse than Stoke but better than you", a myth you like to consider true and ergo the false 'big club' mentality. In the last 22 seasons WE have been above you more than you us.

There was a Crewe way once, Dario built it and many clubs followed. Nowadays it is only usable for the amount of home growns we play in our first team, which is still the Crewe way.

I said "over the years", not over the last 22 seasons. Why do folk on here keep picking random periods to support their stats? Since Crewe came into the League the club has played 8 seasons in the second tier. During the same period, Vale have played 28 seasons at that level. Crewe have made 10 applications for re-election because of finishing in the bottom four in that time. Vale have made none. In 26 seasons Vale have had average gates in 5 figures, Crewe haven't managed that once. That's what I meant by "over the years".

I first saw a Vale v Crewe game in 1978. It was the 18th meeting between us after that before I saw Vale lose.

I do not have a big club mentality but I think the facts show that "over the years we have been worse than Stoke but better than you".

I said "over the years", not over the last 22 seasons. Why do folk on here keep picking random periods to support their stats? Since Crewe came into the League the club has played 8 seasons in the second tier. During the same period, Vale have played 28 seasons at that level. Crewe have made 10 applications for re-election because of finishing in the bottom four in that time. Vale have made none. In 26 seasons Vale have had average gates in 5 figures, Crewe haven't managed that once. That's what I meant by "over the years".

I first saw a Vale v Crewe game in 1978. It was the 18th meeting between us after that before I saw Vale lose.

I do not have a big club mentality but I think the facts show that "over the years we have been worse than Stoke but better than you".
    We already knew all that; we have chosen these "random" periods to show that in THIS century, size wise you're pretty much just like us within a few hundred regulars.
    Not that we give a sh1t, just pointing out a few stats in response to the non ironic comedy jibes that come our way about being tiny and irrelevant, from fans of a club which is pretty much just as tiny and irrelevant.

Administration?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast