+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ted Knutson

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    It was the clubs policy not just GG
    That's true ESR, and it was the clubs policy to sell them players who took us to within a point of the play offs and not reinvest all them millions, and the clubs policy not to renew them players contracts which should have been done 12 months before they ran out. I bet GG was in far distant lands when all this happened but hay we have to have a scape "goat" to blame for dropping darn a division.

When we say club we should say Patrick Crynes policy as he had the final say, he employed Gauthier and gave him his remit to work to. He had his reasons for doing what he did by making the club profitable but like he admitted mistakes were made.

Not many people in Gauthier Ganayes role will have had to go out and sign practically a whole new team in the close season and the players that were signed were highlighted by the recruitment team not GG . It’s only when we got to January that the French lads were his targets and I think they may have been for the development squad or at least one was .
    Last edited by EastStandRed; 04-04-2018 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by upthecolliers View Post
    That's true ESR, and it was the clubs policy to sell them players who took us to within a point of the play offs and not reinvest all them millions, and the clubs policy not to renew them players contracts which should have been done 12 months before they ran out. I bet GG was in far distant lands when all this happened but hay we have to have a scape "goat" to blame for dropping darn a division.
    Scape Goat Hair.

Luvvit Colliers.

Al use that.

I really don't agree with this garbage U24 only rule, or whatever the age restriction is. Its a ridiculous and naive idea that won't work at this level, and even more so because they are mostly from the lower leagues anyway.
    And what happens when we do get lucky when a few of them improve and start to show any Champship quality ?. We sell them on for a good profit and go back to square one again, by bringing in yet more inexperienced unknown kids to do a mans job.

This pathetic plan has got 'please relegate us because we deserve it' written all over it.
    Last edited by Acido; 04-04-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I really don't agree with this garbage U24 only rule, or whatever the age restriction is. Its a ridiculous and naive idea that won't work at this level, and even more so because they are mostly from the lower leagues anyway.
    And what happens when we do get lucky when a few of them improve and start to show any Champship quality ?. We sell them on for a good profit and go back to square one again
    It’s nothing new , we’ve done that since time began except before we bought players of all ages but they still left at the drop of a hat and we were never much better .

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    It’s nothing new , we’ve done that since time began except before we bought players of all ages but they still left at the drop of a hat and we were never much better .

True but we have never let players leave on the same magnitude as we have in the last 18 months. In years before we let go of the odd decent player. David Currie, Carl Tiler, Gerry Taggart, Steve Agnew to name a few but they were all spread out.

We always tried to maintain a squad that was half capable of competing at 2nd tier level so losing our big players would obviously hurt but not cripple us. This time we've bitten off far more than we can chew.

I appreciate that the game has changed significantly in recent years with mega money and agents going right against us and how we roll but we must learn from this and be more realistic next time we find ourselves with some good young players. The plan is good in principle but needs tweaking because we need some experienced players.

Now we're heading for league 1 stick to the plan. It will work next time around as we now have mega rich owners who will only sell for top dollar.

No more penny pinching or being "closed for tiffin".

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Now we're heading for league 1 stick to the plan. It will work next time around as we now have mega rich owners who will only sell for top dollar.

Your assuming Billy Baseball and Father Ted are going to deliver the golden nuggets steve , I'm not convinced .

What was it that kick started the last crop ? , finding a system that suited them and winning games of football that grew the confidence , I saw Mawson in liability mode , I saw Roberts on the bench , I saw Hourihane decent but only half the player he is today , the loans with regard to Isgrove , Brownhill and Fletcher also helped a great deal .

In short a winning team greatly enhanced their ability , that's not our focus in my opinion under this ownership .

They'll find out soon enough that individual talent doesn't flourish unless the team itself is strong and confident .

On the contrary Steve. I think they'll stick to the plan as you say but we'll sell at the first opportunity. We will lose millions in t.v. revenue if relegated and to make up the shortfall we'll offload any player that gains interest from other clubs. That will be purely to balance the books. They probably aint gonna put owt into our club transfer wise unless it's profit from player sales. Neither will they hold out on a player and carry on paying above average lg1 wages should a player come under scrutiny from an interested party. They forked out collectively to buy the club and will be keen to make that money back as quickly as possible. Hope I'm wrong but these are business people we're talking about. 'Loss' isn't a word that exists in their vocabulary

Now we're heading for league 1 stick to the plan. It will work next time around as we now have mega rich owners who will only sell for top dollar. No more penny pinching or being "closed for tiffin".
    I dont believe that to be honest Ponty, and while we are obviously heading for Lg One, I dont think they (our new owners) will only sell for the top dollars etc. They are not driven by money are they, or not like we're used to our owners being, so what is their incentive now when it comes to possible player-profit sales ?.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast